Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 24, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #916 of 3,541
Quote:

Easy to worry that, I wasn't sure what to think either.  It is safe to say that it equals my B22 at 1/5 the price and in some areas beats it.  

Someone was asking about LCD3s, yes the Mjolnir is perfect with LCD3 and the combination is tremendously good.

This Mjolnir looks nice. Your Beta22 costs $3750? 4 or 5 channels? My 2-channel Beta22 only costs $600 and sounds pretty good with LCD-2s.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #917 of 3,541
The NTS (New Toy Syndrome) last maybe more than the burn-in time; so burn-in is exaggerated...

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #918 of 3,541
BTW: A picture of the flip / back side of the Mjolnir on the home page would be nice. 

The pronunciation of Mjolnir is easy...and I am more keen to know the name of the überamp to come...

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #919 of 3,541
Very early impression with 1 hour warm up and 1 minute listening... wow it goes deep!  None of the other amps through here go as deep.  No obvious flaws either, certainly nothing that jumps out and makes you want to tear off the headphones.  Any yes it gets toasty.  Much hotter than the Soloist, little colder than the B22.  More impression after the kids go to bed and I can do a proper listen in silence :wink:

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #920 of 3,541
Quote:
Very early impression with 1 hour warm up and 1 minute listening... wow it goes deep!  None of the other amps through here go as deep.  No obvious flaws either, certainly nothing that jumps out and makes you want to tear off the headphones.  Any yes it gets toasty.  Much hotter than the Soloist, little colder than the B22.  More impression after the kids go to bed and I can do a proper listen in silence :wink:

If you have owned any of the other Schitt amps, could you comment on the heat compared to them?

thanks...

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #921 of 3,541

I'm hungry on a Saturday morning. Can I cook some eggs on your amp? Please?

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #922 of 3,541
Quote:
BTW: A picture of the flip / back side of the Mjolnir on the home page would be nice. 

Agreed. Until recently, I thought the Mjolnir had either XLR or RCA inputs (the product description on the page strongly implies this) but not both. This was the deciding factor that made me choose the Bryston BHA-1 over the Schiit. A photo would have shown that assumption to be false, and I might have made a different purchase decision.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #923 of 3,541
Quote:

May I ask,which headphones ,you are using??

Thanks,
Mike

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #924 of 3,541
Quote:

Agreed. Until recently, I thought the Mjolnir had only XLR inputs (the product description on the page strongly implies this) in addition to having just XLR outputs on the front. This was the deciding factor that made me choose the Bryston BHA-1 over the Schiit. A photo would have shown that assumption to be false, and I might have made a different purchase decision.

Inputs: one pair balanced XLR, one pair single-ended RCAs, choose one

That line has been at the bottom of the Mjolnir page since it was posted...and its been mentioned quite a few times in the thread that it had both single ended and balanced input. but it only has balanced output. But it is also not an input switch, you should only have one of the inputs plugged in at a time, with the switch also set to the correct input

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #926 of 3,541
Quote:
Inputs: one pair balanced XLR, one pair single-ended RCAs, choose one

That line has been at the bottom of the Mjolnir page since it was posted...and its been mentioned quite a few times in the thread that it had both single ended and balanced input. but it only has balanced output. But it is also not an input switch, you should only have one of the inputs plugged in at a time, with the switch also set to the correct input

Yup... my interpretation of "choose one" was that you could have one or the other installed, but not both. Totally my fault in misinterpreting the information AND in not following this thread closely enough, but again, a photo would have kept dullards like myself from misunderstanding.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #927 of 3,541
It looks like they are shipping in single ended mode.  So anyone using XLR inputs do toggle over after unpacking :wink:

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #929 of 3,541
Quote:
May I ask,which headphones ,you are using??

Thanks,
Mike

My one and only... LCD-3 RMA.  Also first time I step in the Schiit so can't comment on the heat compared to the Asgard or Lyr.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #930 of 3,541
Quote:
So much talk about the LCD3 here, but no love for the LCD2 :frowning2: Any word on the pairing?

The LCD-2 sounds great through the Mjolnir. Bass is immense and subterranean but tightly controlled. The most impressive aspect of the sound though is the soundstage. The LCD-2 can sound walled in, but the narrow corridor presentation is rendered non existent by the Mjolnir. Instruments are still forward, with the listener placed in the midst of the performers, but the band is no longer in a confined, claustrophobia inducing area. There is space, reaching beyond the point of origin. I've heard my LCD-2 balanced before, but I can't recall the horizontal stage this airy. Stereo separation is nice, though the centre image is still a tad too close for my liking. This aspect is an inherent quality of the LCD-2 though. The Mjolnir does not add a Dolby Headphone like DSP. It presents your headphones, and other components, as they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back