Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 24, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #932 of 3,541
Thanks guys,the lcd2 & the T1's are my 2 main headphones..your input is much appreciated
Great!!

Anyone want to but a lyr & some{about 12 pairs} of tubes???

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #933 of 3,541
Quote:

elwappo99
In the LA meet thread you posted that you heard the HE-6 on a Liquid Lighting or a Liquid Glass.  Which one was it and how did it do?

There can be only one.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #934 of 3,541
Quote:

elwappo99
In the LA meet thread you posted that you heard the HE-6 on a Liquid Lighting or a Liquid Glass.  Which one was it and how did it do?

Quote:

There can be only one.

Lol, apparently the Mjolnir thread is where the balanced amp fans and HE-6 fans are all hanging out! I heard the liquid glass with the HE-6. I also heard the liquid lightning but thats for electrostats. The glass was a divine experience with the HE-6. I don't think I've ever described an audio experience with those words.  With that said, that amp will run more than the liquid fire. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #935 of 3,541
Again these are early impressions on a 3 hour old unit, here we go...

Colour me impressed.  I fully expected to be disappointed.  Well that takes some explanation.  Like my Soloist purchase the hope was that it could somehow dethrone B22/Peak level amps and not surprising though as technically competent as the B22, the Soloist flavour wasn't quite right.  So I kept the Peak and waited for the Mjolnir to ship fully expecting it would be a nice taste of Schiit but not expecting a giant killer.

Well it is.  With one caveat this early on though... it is not laid back.  If you want an amp to just sit back and relax with, move on, nothing to see here.  Like the Peak the Mjolnir has drive, its dynamic range is insane.  There is no glare or sheen but the assault is fatiguing.  I imagine I'll get used to it but for now its like standing beside the speakers at a concert.  In this case the dB level is the same but the attack is so fierce it sounds louder than it is, the anti HD800 :wink:

That said, on all other bullet points its quite good regardless of price.  Tonal balance, freq extension, body, resolution, effortlessness are all spot on.  The other consideration is that we had guessed that the impressions so far read like DAC reviews.  I know for a fact that the W4S DAC-2 is punchy, its the immediate difference I noticed when I upgrades from the Burson.  So its quite possible that the fatiguing drive is the DAC-2 coming through.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #937 of 3,541
Comparatively yes.  The B22 is rounded and by extension can be played very loud without fatigue.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #938 of 3,541
Another Soloist vs Mjolnir session this morning confirmed my earlier impressions. Mjolnir wonderfully spacious, speaker-like presentation; Burson: meatier, slightly more convincing tone, but significantly less spacious.

All via LCD3.

Equally detailed, I'd say.

Now I need to hear a fully burned Mjolnir.

I'll probably buy the Burson though. And not just because I'm from Oz.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #943 of 3,541
Solude would you mind doing a Mjolnir v Peak comparison in due time? TIA.

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #944 of 3,541
I'm running the A/B on Monday when both the Mjolnir and my new BadBoy tube have 100 hours on them.  Unrelated to this thread but my Peak problems were tube related.  The 5692 and this 6SN7 are dead quiet.  Have my cousin's kids this weekend so no more impressions until tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back