Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 25, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #946 of 3,541
The more I read about the Mjolnir the more it seems like my kind of amp.

However I am holding out for the statement amp(s) just hope they share the same basic character

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #947 of 3,541
Quote:
The more I read about the Mjolnir the more it seems like my kind of amp.

However I am holding out for the statement amp(s) just hope they share the same basic character

I think they should make it basically the same as the mjolnir - a dedicated balanced amp to make it more "focused" and save on cost.

But give it an upgraded power section and higher quality components.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #948 of 3,541
Quote:
I think they should make it basically the same as the mjolnir - a dedicated balanced amp to make it more "focused" and save on cost.

But give it an upgraded power section and higher quality components.

I'd think offering the statement as SS would lean more toward a Mjolnir like amp,
however offering the tube option would just seem to change the entire design.

But this is coming from the perspective of someone who has limited knowledge in the
actual work or implementation of amps in general.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #949 of 3,541
I e-mailed Schiit with regards the statement vs Mjolnir and the reply was that the SS statement has the same topology as the Mjolnir so will have the same basic sound characteristics.
The hybrid will also be 'open and dynamic and not tubey' sounding.

Also the statement will have even more power than the Mjolnir for the HE6 users.

Also my e-mail was replied to within 10 minutes or so, now that's service!

(I hope Schiit don't mind me making this public, if they do then I apologise)

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #950 of 3,541
Quote:
What does a round amp sound like? Must be a Canadian thing.

Round amps may very well be a Canadian thing. To be specific, a blue circle.. thing...ee.

tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #953 of 3,541
[size=medium]
Transient response[/size][size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]
Good:[/size][size=medium]
 articulation, attack, controlled, delicate, detailed, fast, quick, tight[/size][size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]
Not Good:[/size][size=medium]
 closed-in, dull, ringing, rounded, slow, sluggish, smeared[/size]

[size=medium]
That's Stereophile's basic information on rounded.  Basically its a minor dulling of attack.  Goes hand in hand with laid back and opposite of forward.[/size]

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #955 of 3,541
Quote:
Very early impression with 1 hour warm up and 1 minute listening... wow it goes deep!  None of the other amps through here go as deep.  No obvious flaws either, certainly nothing that jumps out and makes you want to tear off the headphones.  Any yes it gets toasty.  Much hotter than the Soloist, little colder than the B22.  More impression after the kids go to bed and I can do a proper listen in silence :wink:

Quote:

If you have owned any of the other Schitt amps, could you comment on the heat compared to them?

thanks...

Can't compare to other Schitt amps, but the Mjolnir appears to run warm (38C/100F -- not toasty) at about 17C/30F higher than ambient temperature (21C/70F).

Power transistors are attached to the case bottom, which is warmest.  Temperature drops as the case wraps around the top.  All in all, a great way to dissipate heat while providing a very sturdy case.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #958 of 3,541
Quote:

Comes down to what you put it up against.  Mine were less rounded than a Liquid Fire, more rounded than the Peak.

I concur with your relative comparisons of the Mjolnir against other amps (B22, Peak, etc.) with the exception of the Soloist, which I have not heard.
Just another data point.

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #960 of 3,541
Quote:

I don't think he compared the Mjolnir to the Peak yet.  However, I could be mistaken.

No he hasn't. However in the Peak thread Solude has broken down the Peak's SQ. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back