Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 7, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #105,136 of 149,543
I could not find any association of REA with FedEx, but I did find this about FedEx Ground:

"Roadway Package System (RPS) was founded in 1985 by transportation company Roadway Services Inc., later renamed Caliber System. FedEx bought Caliber in 1998 to complement its existing FedEx Express business and rebranded Caliber's RPS package delivery service FedEx Ground in 2000."

Personally, I have used FedEx Ground many times to ship stuff, and I have received a lot of stuff via FedEx Ground. I have never had any problem with them. Recently, all the delivery services have had some problems due to the increase in online commerce because of COVID, and the extreme shortage of workers (including experienced employees who quit to work at higher paying jobs).

The best thing to do to improve the quality of deliveries to your home, is to buy a Ring Doorbell with included video camera (or similar product from other vendors). All the delivery personnel tend to act a little different (such as not throwing packages) when they know they are on camera.
Ah, that's interesting, I hadn't realized that FedEx ground had been bought as well. But FedEx Ground was, as far as I know, always treated as part of FedEx with the same tracking as Express. Home Delivery however was (at least originally) separate and supposed to be some sort of discount version of FedEx. I don't see any history online either about REA but I had heard it at the time and in fact the "Home Delivery" hub where I had my package hunt had been a REA facility before the rebranding.

FedEx ground has worked pretty well for me. Home Delivery, not so much.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #105,137 of 149,543
Is there any way to make the Loki Mini+ less hot? It gets hot on the chassis to the point that it could be uncomfortable to hold it, and that makes me worry about just how hot some of the components must be getting. I read somebody's account of using a different power supply with the correct power type and polarity but modestly lower in voltage, since the voltage regulators can do their thing without having a 16V input (allegedly, this was someone else's experiment so I don't want to overstate here). Is such a thing safe? I know electronics are often rated to be able to operate at higher temperatures than would be comfortable for human skin, obviously :) Maybe the new chassis can have a few of those vent holes that keep the Magni+ running a whole lot cooler (measured its exterior at about 107ºF, but the Loki Mini+ is way too hot for the same thermometer to read it accurately).

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #105,138 of 149,543
My Tyrs were originally estimated for Monday delivery, then updated to Saturday (even though Saturday morning they were still showing as "in transit" from Pocoima, so I knew that wasn't going to happen), then back to Monday and "on truck for delivery" Monday morning, then "local weather delay - delivery not attempted", so Tuesday. So, Tuesday, around 2:15pm, the Budget rent-a-truck driver simply stacked them by the garage (in the rain) without attempting the front door. Luckily, I saw the truck, so all good.

On the positive front, after about 30 minutes to an hour of warm-up, they sounded very good. I didn't necessarily want to replace my existing amps in the main Living Room system, but I wanted to hear the Tyrs, do a little comparison, see if they compared favorably (which they do), so I'd know I had a good backup (just in case). Now they are in the bedroom system, where they should stay for the time being. Also, they run nice and cool.
Despite ton of engineering efforts in making stuff and customers spending hard earned dollars, it seems we are at mercy of mailman to be able to enjoy the gear
My Fedex guy finally delivered today and signed for it themself 😭
I am not complaining since they actually delivered to me and not someone few blocks away

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #105,139 of 149,543
Is there any way to make the Loki Mini+ less hot? It gets hot on the chassis to the point that it could be uncomfortable to hold it, and that makes me worry about just how hot some of the components must be getting. I read somebody's account of using a different power supply with the correct power type and polarity but modestly lower in voltage, since the voltage regulators can do their thing without having a 16V input (allegedly, this was someone else's experiment so I don't want to overstate here). Is such a thing safe? I know electronics are often rated to be able to operate at higher temperatures than would be comfortable for human skin, obviously :) Maybe the new chassis can have a few of those vent holes that keep the Magni+ running a whole lot cooler (measured its exterior at about 107ºF, but the Loki Mini+ is way too hot for the same thermometer to read it accurately).
I would not recommend a lower voltage AC supply. The power supply within will only draw more current and probably generate even more heat. Might want to check in with info@schiit.com ......

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #105,140 of 149,543
Semiconductors (transistors, IC's) and other electronic components can run at temperatures much higher than comfortable for human skin.

Do you have a way to measure the AC power drawn by the wall wart (e.g. kil-a-watt meter or smart UPS that shows power consumption, either watts or VA down to nearest watt/VA?)

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #105,141 of 149,543
I can recall talk of wristwatches but that might have been pre-sinewave days. I have been re-watching some shows about naval battles because of the talk about warships. I just ordered the complete Lady Snowblood Criterion collection since it had been a while since I saw the movies. :ksc75smile:

I hope my talk of doing a blind listen of DAC's is not too far off topic, it includes more Schiit gear than other brands so I am certainly trying to be inclusive. There is supposed to be one assembled in China in the comparison, the HoloAudio May KTE DAC. A friend has had one for a few months.
I think almost everything is fair game on this forum, with the usual exceptions of religion & politics :)

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #105,143 of 149,543
I think almost everything is fair game on this forum, with the usual exceptions of religion & politics :)
That is what I like about it, the different topics. Some threads stagnate if they stick too closely to topic IMHO.

There are specific pieces of Schiit gear that interest me, but not all do. I like tube amps.😉 There are some very bright and funny people here whom I totally enjoy.

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #105,144 of 149,543
Other than the one true Thermionic religion and tube rolling fanatics - can't have them in here venting their cathodes about the deep solid state supply chain politics :k701smile:

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #105,145 of 149,543
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #105,148 of 149,543
I can recall talk of wristwatches but that might have been pre-sinewave days. I have been re-watching some shows about naval battles because of the talk about warships. I just ordered the complete Lady Snowblood Criterion collection since it had been a while since I saw the movies. :ksc75smile:

I hope my talk of doing a blind listen of DAC's is not too far off topic, it includes more Schiit gear than other brands so I am certainly trying to be inclusive. There is supposed to be one assembled in China in the comparison, the HoloAudio May KTE DAC. A friend has had one for a few months.

There were diversions into custom computer keyboards and fountain pens, as well.

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #105,149 of 149,543
And argumentum ad hominem. Attacking a person not a topic.
The one thing that is not okay in my book. I quite enjoy discussing both religion and politics, provided that the discussion does not devolve into this nor becomes too polarized.

Nothing worth discussing is ever black-and-white, everything worth discussing has nuance. (If it did not it would not be worth discussing! And we would most likely be on the same page about it.) Both religion and politics are prime examples of how we far too often forget this fact. When we can keep this in mind, we can have productive discussions, learn things and progress, even in these topics. Try to keep this in mind and you will almost certainly end up grateful for this advice!

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #105,150 of 149,543
I don't, a couple thousand pages (or more) back we were discussing them and were told to stop because some people were getting scared about us talking about them...
I was just trying to be funny. I don't plan on owning a PAK 43 anytime soon.

That said, discussing single operator guns here would make me uncomfortable too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back