Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 7, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #105,122 of 151,394
Dec 7, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #105,123 of 151,394
Dec 7, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #105,125 of 151,394
Cooking knives showed up briefly, I was surprised at the broad interest.
There's space, I'll add it too.
And it has come up before thanks to @Paladin79 's craftwork with boards and knives, so long due to be added

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #105,126 of 151,394
And it has come up before thanks to @Paladin79 's craftwork with boards and knives, so long due to be added
would be cool if some noise / disturbance / distortion could be added to the smooth sine wave. curious how you are generating the plot--is it a graph based on a table of values in excel?

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #105,127 of 151,394
would be cool if some noise / disturbance / distortion could be added to the smooth sine wave. curious how you are generating the plot--is it a graph based on a table of values in excel?
Noise probably can be done (it has been suggested before as well) but might stretch my excel skills to create a dirty sinewave.
How it was generated for the current version is by plotting the Excel function (=radians(sin(x)) ), and then on a 4K monitor capturing a high-res image, and pasting it into PowerPoint. From there, adding the callouts/data-points (the discussions). Save that as a PPTX for reference and updating the next version, and a PNG for upload.

Edit....
1670408494541.png

Needs more work... maybe I'll explore :relaxed:

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #105,129 of 151,394
I can recall talk of wristwatches but that might have been pre-sinewave days. I have been re-watching some shows about naval battles because of the talk about warships. I just ordered the complete Lady Snowblood Criterion collection since it had been a while since I saw the movies. :ksc75smile:

I hope my talk of doing a blind listen of DAC's is not too far off topic, it includes more Schiit gear than other brands so I am certainly trying to be inclusive. There is supposed to be one assembled in China in the comparison, the HoloAudio May KTE DAC. A friend has had one for a few months.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #105,131 of 151,394
Here's an interesting tidbit that pertains to our passion- the 75th birthday of the transistor! :smiley_cat:

Happy 75th!
OMG, the transistor is only five years older than me. I remember being a kid and the TV repairman would come in with his case of tubes he'd carry in. I remember my folks first car with a radio in it that had transistors in it. Turn it on and instant music!

Dec 7, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #105,133 of 151,394
120722transistor.jpg

"You can hear me on your cheap transistor radio,
tuning in to endless love from downtown Tokyo..."
-Japan, by Be Bop Deluxe
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/ne...y-of-transistors-ingenuity-in-post-war-japan/

Sometimes it is not just the invention, it can be how you are able to refine, manufacture, and make use of it.

Computer Mice Hits the Market​

Before long, computers designed to work with a mouse were released. Among the first was the Xerox Alto, which went on sale in 1973. A team at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich liked the concept as well and built their own computer system with a mouse called the Lilith computer, sold from 1978 to 1980. Perhaps thinking they were on to something, Xerox soon followed up with the Xerox 8010, which featured a mouse, ethernet networking and e-mail among various innovative technologies that have since become standard.

But it wasn't until 1983 that the mouse started to go mainstream. It was that year that Microsoft updated the MS-DOS program Microsoft Word to make it mouse-compatible and developed the first PC-compatible mouse. Computer manufacturers such as Apple, Atari and Commodore would all follow suit by debuting mouse compatible systems as well.

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #105,134 of 151,394
How about the Florida edition? Magni, Modi, Loki in pastel yellow, blue, pink, and the very rare and hard to find green with the special NOS transistors thrown in like a candy bar? Nice enamel paints for a few dollars more (probably more like $50 with drying time).

I would def.. buy that, guests would love it.

I'm sorry to spend so much time on topic.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #105,135 of 151,394
Weird schiit. Fedex was supposed to deliver today.
Delivery person knocked on the door and zoomed off before i opened the door. I only took like 10 sec to get to door. Gotta be the most impatient mailman ever.
Tracking still shows out for delivery, who knows if he will make another attempt

My Tyrs were originally estimated for Monday delivery, then updated to Saturday (even though Saturday morning they were still showing as "in transit" from Pocoima, so I knew that wasn't going to happen), then back to Monday and "on truck for delivery" Monday morning, then "local weather delay - delivery not attempted", so Tuesday. So, Tuesday, around 2:15pm, the Budget rent-a-truck driver simply stacked them by the garage (in the rain) without attempting the front door. Luckily, I saw the truck, so all good.

On the positive front, after about 30 minutes to an hour of warm-up, they sounded very good. I didn't necessarily want to replace my existing amps in the main Living Room system, but I wanted to hear the Tyrs, do a little comparison, see if they compared favorably (which they do), so I'd know I had a good backup (just in case). Now they are in the bedroom system, where they should stay for the time being. Also, they run nice and cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back