Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 7, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #105,166 of 151,459
Absolutely right.

Nah. Not after a good low-profile keyboard. Feels like a return to the stone age.
Weirdly, I love my low-profile full-size Apple KB's on my 2 M1 Macs. Absolutely love them. For work I have a heavy-as-heck full-travel 15 year old KB and my gaming rig has a Corsair KB with Cherry-red (or brown?) keys. Each seems right for their application. Makes no sense, but there it is.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #105,167 of 151,459
Lest we
Absolutely right.

Nah. Not after a good low-profile keyboard. Feels like a return to the stone age.
I repaired one of the old style keyboards for an older gentleman not long ago, parts are not easy to find. 😁

Lest we forget, today is Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #105,168 of 151,459
Seriously dating myself but my all time favorite was a stock IBM AT Style mechanical keyboard - LOUD and very satisfying, especially when frustrated :wink:. It had the large round connector that I found a PS2 style adapter for more recently. I'd share a photo of it, but during that period of my IT life I was mildly addicted to cheetos and the keyboard aquired a bit of, ummm, a "patina". Wouldn't want to spoil anyone's dinner......
Lol
The loud clacking sound, so onomatopoetic. 🤪

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #105,169 of 151,459
I think almost everything is fair game on this forum, with the usual exceptions of religion & politics :)
Totally agree. Have learned so many things from this forum:

1. Schiit products, designs, and philosophy -- And MBA's worth of material but far more practical.
2. Tubes! I wrote them off decades ago as noisy, hummy, and fragile. Boy was I wrong!
3. A sine wave of various topics and opinions.
4. Tons of friendly and helpful folks here.
5. Cat pictures.

I think y'all are the most engaging and entertaining. Thank you for all of it :)

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #105,171 of 151,459
OMG, the transistor is only five years older than me. I remember being a kid and the TV repairman would come in with his case of tubes he'd carry in. I remember my folks first car with a radio in it that had transistors in it. Turn it on and instant music!
Ye olde tube caddy.

Tube Caddy1.jpg

Tube Caddy3.jpg

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #105,172 of 151,459
Seriously dating myself but my all time favorite was a stock IBM AT Style mechanical keyboard - LOUD and very satisfying, especially when frustrated :wink:. It had the large round connector that I found a PS2 style adapter for more recently. I'd share a photo of it, but during that period of my IT life I was mildly addicted to cheetos and the keyboard aquired a bit of, ummm, a "patina". Wouldn't want to spoil anyone's dinner......
My favorites are the Model F, the Apple Extended Keyboard, and my blue alps omnikey.

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #105,173 of 151,459
Lamy 2000, Diplomat Aero (gold nib), and Iroshizuku inks. Tried literally hundreds of different fountain pens and inks over the course of the past three decades, but you can't beat those.

Custom keyboards, I couldn't care less about. Apple's A1243 (that's the full-width USB keyboard with aluminum body and white keys) is the best keyboard ever made, and I'm fully prepared to die on that hill. The haptics of the keys' travel, their stops, their profile and height — just perfect. One of these keyboards has been my daily driver for 15 years, with thousands of keystrokes per day, and it still goes strong.

For PCs, the currently available HP 970/975 comes relatively close in typing feel, key shape, and overall dimensions, but I've had issues with longevity. A few keys, particularly the dedicated microphone key, tend to lock up after about a year of use.
Nope, the best keyboard out right now is the Logitech G915 TKL Tenkeyless Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard. Never used anything better.

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #105,175 of 151,459
Dec 7, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #105,176 of 151,459
Dec 7, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #105,178 of 151,459
Nope, the best keyboard out right now is the Logitech G915 TKL Tenkeyless Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard. Never used anything better.
Logitech?
Really?
Well, good for you. And I mean that with all my heart.
But for me? No thanks.
The hardware they put out is still pretty darn good. But the software they lock you into so that you can make full use of the hardware they sell is by far the worst in the business. Maybe only superseded by the quality of their customer support department. Not only is it near-impossible to talk to an actual human, the few humans they do have are barely more intelligent than the AI-based support robot they deploy as a first "line of defense" when you need to talk to someone.
And if and when you actually have enough patience to work your way first past the AI, then up three to four tiers of "support ticket escalation" until you finally end up with an actual coder responsible for the bit of the software that's not working, you have to explain to that brainiac how to actually code.

If you ever need to know what your audio experience would look like once some people's wish comes true and Schiit starts to use screens and software for their gear to work, just buy yourself a Logitech product, and you'll be "healed" from that must-have-software-anywhere BS in no time.

So, thanks, but no thanks. As far as I'm concerned, Logitech can die in a fire. And the sooner, the better.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #105,180 of 151,459
Since Schiit doesn't have a refurbished store, out of curiosity what happens to all the gear people return in the 14 day window?
B stock I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back