Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Dec 27, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #2,086 of 2,392
i taken a look, yes i will definitely get the socket saver, this LYR is gonna stay with me for a lonnnnng time..
the sound coming out of this gem of a hybrid is the best...

....until the next BEST is heard.lol

many thanks once again, i am new to this thread...i guess u are the resident pro here. cheers..need to rush to worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk for now. sighhh.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #2,087 of 2,392
Just got my Lyr. So far I'm blown away by the power this monster has! Straight off, I noticed increase in bass extension and quantity. Yes even on the K701s! It is a warm sounding amp; soundstage is wider than my STX and instrument separation is better, not night and day but it's definitely noticeable.  The denon d2000s sound even better. I didn't know they can produce so much controlled bass at high volumes. Just amazing! I can finally bear the applause at the end on Hotel California (live version) by Eagles. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #2,088 of 2,392
Quote:
sorry noob question....and i didnt go thru the 139 pages..
anyone has difficulty pulling out the tubes on the LYR??
whats a good way to get it out..?
i cant get a good hold on the deeply seated tubes.
humphhhfff

If you're looking for a quick way to do it right now without spending money and/or waiting for stuff to get to you, take a chunk of the foam out of the box in which the stock Lyr tubes were packaged, fold it and use the foam to grab the visible part of the tube.  Then rock it back and forth while applying gentle traction, and it should eventually pop out.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #2,089 of 2,392
ooo thanks srihar3, will give it a go tonite ! gonna rock it out!!

yupz the LYR drives the denons crazygood!!!!! can feel the perspiration dripping off the singer..lolz
floatsmile.png

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #2,091 of 2,392
My Lyr suddenly started acting weird here after a couple of days without use. 

Using socketsavers and 6922's from tubemonger. My routine is to always power the amp, dac and wait about 30 seconds before I plug in my headphones (LCD-2 rev 2). Today, I heard a sort of "pop"-sound, and really freaked out, seeing I've already had to return the LCD-2's for repair due to botchy serial number / element issues. 

So - I thought that was what had happened again. Fortunately I still have my other amp (Matrix Quattro SS) here and checked with it, and to my surprise, I still had stereo sound, alas something is wrong with the Lyr, not my LCD-2's. 

EDIT - Just wiggled both tubes, wiggled signalcables and unplugged / replugged power, and now both channels are delivering sound, but I have a distinct humming-sound I've never heard from the amp before - even at zero volume. 

I've tried swapping tubes, signal cables AND taking out my socketsavers and just use sockets on the amp with both original tubes and new ones from tm. I've had no luck, and still have the hum, sadly. At least I have my Quattro as backup, but I really LOVE the sound of the Lyr and want it back :/ I'm pondering if this is a ground-issue, but my Quattro got no hum whatsoever. I really doubt it's the tubes, seeing as I've checked two pairs. It could be, I guess, but that would be really bad luck, wouldn't it? 

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #2,092 of 2,392
What happens when you plug the Lyr into a different socket in a different room?

Was the pop a one time event?

In the end, it may be best to email Jason at Schiit describing your symptoms but definitely try determining if it is a ground issue.  I had an issue with one room and ended up getting an isolation transformer to help clean up the hum.  The hum was annoying even at zero volume.  Now it is pretty quiet up to 3 o'clock on the volume knob.  The hum was definitely more prominent in the tube amp than in my other SS amps so I don't find it surprising you couldn't hear it in your Quattro.  Like you, it came out of the blue.  However, no popping with the Lyr.  When I had a Valhalla there was a low level mechanical pop when I turned it on and off.  I just figured it was the caps charging and discharging quickly, never affected sound so I never felt the need to have it looked at.  My newer SS amp, Violectric V200, also has a low level pop as well.  So does my Onkyo receiver and my vintage amps.  Some of it probably has to do with the protection circuitry.  I have an older Lyr without the delay relay.

Quote:
My Lyr suddenly started acting weird here after a couple of days without use. 

Using socketsavers and 6922's from tubemonger. My routine is to always power the amp, dac and wait about 30 seconds before I plug in my headphones (LCD-2 rev 2). Today, I heard a sort of "pop"-sound, and really freaked out, seeing I've already had to return the LCD-2's for repair due to botchy serial number / element issues. 

So - I thought that was what had happened again. Fortunately I still have my other amp (Matrix Quattro SS) here and checked with it, and to my surprise, I still had stereo sound, alas something is wrong with the Lyr, not my LCD-2's. 

EDIT - Just wiggled both tubes, wiggled signalcables and unplugged / replugged power, and now both channels are delivering sound, but I have a distinct humming-sound I've never heard from the amp before - even at zero volume. 

I've tried swapping tubes, signal cables AND taking out my socketsavers and just use sockets on the amp with both original tubes and new ones from tm. I've had no luck, and still have the hum, sadly. At least I have my Quattro as backup, but I really LOVE the sound of the Lyr and want it back :/ I'm pondering if this is a ground-issue, but my Quattro got no hum whatsoever. I really doubt it's the tubes, seeing as I've checked two pairs. It could be, I guess, but that would be really bad luck, wouldn't it? 

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #2,093 of 2,392
Vargtass,

Check to make sure the nut behind the volume know is tight and has not come loose.  Some people have seen this, get hum when touching the vol knob, I expereinced this once, I took off the vol know and tightened the nut holding the pot.

Been solid for many months now across many tubes.

If the original tubes exhibit a hum....but didnt before then something has to have changed.

Give Jason a call etc...

Best of Luck!
Alex

Edit: To listen I make sure the volume is all the way down....turn on the Lyr, wait a few seconds....minutes while I get the source pc up and running etc....then plug in my LCD2's R2 ...making sure the volume is all the way down...start a song then slowly crank the volume knob up. To shutdown, I stop the song, turn the volume all the way down, remove phones, shut off amp...I never get any pops or surprises this way.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #2,094 of 2,392
I'm in contact with Jason as we speak (great and smooth service!). 

I'll try it in some different locations in my apartment, but I've been using the amp for weeks from the same power-source without any hum up to now, so I doubt it'll make any difference swapping. Will try, tho. Thanks for all the input so far, and I'll check the volume knob. Can I just pull it off gently to check the screw behind it? I'd rather not open it up and void warranty -  don't feel I'm that capable with stuff like this :) 

Ah oh and yeah, I've always waited for the amp to turn on and warm up with dac and music on before connecting my LCD-2 rev 2's, and I've always unplugged them again before I've turned the amp off (just to be safe). It's not hard due to the 1/4" to xlr-plug converter I have running with the Q-cables. It was just that today, when I plugged them in I got this really nasty noise from them, just as they were connected to the Lyr. Freaked me out like crazy because I've had to have one element replaced some months ago due to a pop and the element just dying (not with the Lyr, do mind). 

Again, thanks for all your help tho. I'm certain I'll get this fixed, either by myself, the forum or Schiit :) 

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #2,095 of 2,392
The volume kob is held on to the shaft of the volume poteniometer via a small screw in the knob, look at the knob u will see a small hole where the fastening screw is...its held on via this small setscrew....you will need the correct size allen wrench to untighten it to slide off the volume knob, dont try to pull it off!!

Once the knob is removed will see the large 'nut' and washer...make sure this nut is tight.

Mine was not loose, put I tightened it a bit anyway.

The hum I had disappeared and has not come back since then...but the hum I experienced was when I actually touched the volume knob...

Tell Jason hello!

Alex

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #2,096 of 2,392
I've got the hum in different rooms in my appartment, meaning different fuses, excluding a hypothesis about the power just where I'm sitting.  

I've also been over the fact that I'm using socketsavers, but the pins on them look 100% like the ones on my tubes, and I never intended to use anything but the approved tubes for the Lyr. 

I'm just gonna send it back tomorrow - at least I've got the original packaging so shipping won't be too hard. It will just suck because it'll take a while and shipping from Norway is silly expensive. UPS quoted me 350 usd to ship it to Schiit. The norwegian postal service is cheaper at around 100-150 usd. Let's just hope it's a guarantee-issue and not me having screwed up something (even though I still cant see how I would have done that, using both approved socketsavers and tubes + having had the amp run great for 75ish hours). I'ts probably just bad luck, and that's just how life is some times :) 

Cheers for all your input, and I refuse to say anything bad about Schiit despite all of this. They're sporting GREAT service, and I really appreciate it. I really wish I had a store I could go to and cry / yell, but Europe / Norway is so tiny it just doesn't add up anyways, so back it goes tomorrow :) 

Just to be clear on the volume knob - I can clearly see the whole for a screw, but I can't with my bare eyes SEE the screw, even when using a flashlight. I can see "something" deep down in the screw-hole. Could that be it? I've sort of packed the amp into its box, taken out the tubes and packed it all up now tho. That, plus the amp DID make weird noises and DID lose sound on one channel earlier today - which I really doubt could be because of the volume-knob. Also, it's been working flawlessly for 50ish hours so far, without any hum, with my hand on the knob or not. 

Meh, I'll just ship it back tomorrow and wait for it to get back to me :/

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #2,097 of 2,392
Sorry to hear that.  Man, that's quite a bit for shipping.  Because you got it to work for 50 hours I guess you already know whether or not they sent you the 115V version by accident.  By accident I was a 230V Valhalla.  It worked fine for an hour then I had the channel imbalance.  After a couple emails we figured out I had the international version.  Good luck

Quote:
I've got the hum in different rooms in my appartment, meaning different fuses, excluding a hypothesis about the power just where I'm sitting.  

I've also been over the fact that I'm using socketsavers, but the pins on them look 100% like the ones on my tubes, and I never intended to use anything but the approved tubes for the Lyr. 

I'm just gonna send it back tomorrow - at least I've got the original packaging so shipping won't be too hard. It will just suck because it'll take a while and shipping from Norway is silly expensive. UPS quoted me 350 usd to ship it to Schiit. The norwegian postal service is cheaper at around 100-150 usd. Let's just hope it's a guarantee-issue and not me having screwed up something (even though I still cant see how I would have done that, using both approved socketsavers and tubes + having had the amp run great for 75ish hours). I'ts probably just bad luck, and that's just how life is some times :) 

Cheers for all your input, and I refuse to say anything bad about Schiit despite all of this. They're sporting GREAT service, and I really appreciate it. I really wish I had a store I could go to and cry / yell, but Europe / Norway is so tiny it just doesn't add up anyways, so back it goes tomorrow :) 

Just to be clear on the volume knob - I can clearly see the whole for a screw, but I can't with my bare eyes SEE the screw, even when using a flashlight. I can see "something" deep down in the screw-hole. Could that be it? I've sort of packed the amp into its box, taken out the tubes and packed it all up now tho. That, plus the amp DID make weird noises and DID lose sound on one channel earlier today - which I really doubt could be because of the volume-knob. Also, it's been working flawlessly for 50ish hours so far, without any hum, with my hand on the knob or not. 

Meh, I'll just ship it back tomorrow and wait for it to get back to me :/

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #2,098 of 2,392
Wow thats a LOT for shipping!!!!

I hope it works out and you get a working Lyr soon.

The hole that you looked in the volume knob is where the little screw is that has to be loosened to get the volume knob off to inspect the locking nut on the actual volume potentiometer.

But if the amp was doing these other things, like dropping a channel maybe there is more that just a loose pot here.

Due to the time and cost it would be nice to get a new set of tubes sent to you to see if indeed the tubes are causing the issues.

If this third, new set fixed the issues you wouldnt be out the cost of shipping and time etc...

Either way I would think about asking Jason for an extra set of tubes, there really cheap from him and you would have them just in case.

All the best
Alex

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #2,099 of 2,392
Vargtass,

I may have missed it in the posts, but did you go back and try the tubes without the socket savers?  If not, you might just want to check those first.  It's best to try to eliminate all possible causes.
And if you've already done it, then please disregard everything after hello...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2,100 of 2,392
What if hello was at the end?  
wink.gif

Quote:
Vargtass,

I may have missed it in the posts, but did you go back and try the tubes without the socket savers?  If not, you might just want to check those first.  It's best to try to eliminate all possible causes.
And if you've already done it, then please disregard everything after hello...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back