Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Dec 29, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #2,101 of 2,392
      Quote:
What if hello was at the end?  
wink.gif

Exactly!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #2,103 of 2,392
Tried both with and without socketsavers. They were an obvious source of error - but it seems they're legit and not the source of this (but who knows). I'm shipping it back with the original tubes to see if there is any damage to them. 

Shipping with the Norwegian postal service is about 100 usd probably, which is far less than the big foreign companies. I have no idea why they would charge me over 300 usd to send it, but they do and I guess I'm just going to stay away from that :)

Jason was extremely helpful and even offered to send me another Lyr as soon as I sent him the tracking number for my defect Lyr. It's in tip top shape otherwise tho, so it can probably just be fixed and sent out to someone again. 

All in all I've just had a hit of bad luck (my streak is endless :D) but it'll all be ok in the end :) 

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #2,104 of 2,392
Does the Lyr pair up well with 600ohm Beyers? I know it has plenty of current for Orthos and the like, but I'm worried about voltage swing.

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #2,105 of 2,392
Cool, thats good customer service!!

Socket savers...oh boy....I have stayed silent on this one.

I would NEVER use them, never, never, never....

With all the anal rentitive folks here worried about things that can affect their sound....this is the last thing I would not ever use.

I understand what folks are trying to do...but the tubes are not that hard to take out.

Adding another set of mechanical junctions,etc...just isnt a good idea at all.

This amp is designed to take the heat, has a 5yr warrenty etc...

If you are a NOS tube swapper, I would think after a few months, weeks of swapping out what 10-20 times...that you would be back to listening to your music...and the swapping is over for the most part.

Happy New Year!
Alex

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #2,106 of 2,392
Mad...from Jason:

If you were going to stick with the Beyer 600 ohm headphones, we'd definitely have you look at Valhalla--it's an amazing match for those headphones.

But if you're looking at the LCD-2s in the future as well, Lyr is a do-all amp for both the Beyers and orthodynamics. Valhalla is a no-go with orthos. Asgard does a nice job with both 600 ohm Beyers and LCD-2s as well, but Lyr is definitely a step up.

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Happy New Year
Alex

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #2,107 of 2,392
     Quote:
Cool, thats good customer service!!

Socket savers...oh boy....I have stayed silent on this one.

I would NEVER use them, never, never, never....

With all the anal rentitive folks here worried about things that can affect their sound....this is the last thing I would not ever use.

I understand what folks are trying to do...but the tubes are not that hard to take out.

Adding another set of mechanical junctions,etc...just isnt a good idea at all.

This amp is designed to take the heat, has a 5yr warrenty etc...

If you are a NOS tube swapper, I would think after a few months, weeks of swapping out what 10-20 times...that you would be back to listening to your music...and the swapping is over for the most part.

Happy New Year!
Alex

It depends on how many sets of tubes you rolled...then how many different types other folks introduced you to.
wink_face.gif
  I have had no problem with socket savers personally, but I have to admit they aren't really necessary, just convenient.  Truth is, when I go to pull the tubes, the savers come out with them anyway so I am pretty sure they arent saving anything.  They do however make it more convenient for the tube dampers I use (and those do affect the sound..in a good way).

All is IMHO and YMMV...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #2,108 of 2,392

Quote:
Does the Lyr pair up well with 600ohm Beyers? I know it has plenty of current for Orthos and the like, but I'm worried about voltage swing.

It'll drive them without breaking a sweat.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #2,109 of 2,392
Jan 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2,111 of 2,392
Received my new Lyr just before the end of the year (hey, that rhymes,, I guess I do that at times..) and noticed it didn't come with an RCA cable (mentioned in passing in the "owners manual" and referred to in previous posts).  Did they quit including this or just left it out of mine?

(Not that it really matters since it would be tossed aside for something a bit more resilient in any case) :)

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #2,112 of 2,392
They probably just forgot. It was just a Monoprice cable anyway.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #2,113 of 2,392
Mine came with a RCA to mini cable but not a pair of RCA interconnects for attaching to a DAC.  Mine was purchased in April 2011 so maybe they've gone away from the RCA to mini in favor of the RCA interconnects.

Quote:
Received my new Lyr just before the end of the year (hey, that rhymes,, I guess I do that at times..) and noticed it didn't come with an RCA cable (mentioned in passing in the "owners manual" and referred to in previous posts).  Did they quit including this or just left it out of mine?

(Not that it really matters since it would be tossed aside for something a bit more resilient in any case) :)

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #2,114 of 2,392
^That's what mine came with too. One RCA to 1/8" cable.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2,115 of 2,392

Users who are viewing this thread

Back