Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 5, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #39,346 of 149,304
I think the word is out by now. While it may look like a vidar externally it is like the vidar but with the new Continuity topology.
This is what I wished for sometime back:
(Sorry I don't want to quote the entire post, but it is for a 20w essentially class A amp under a grand, and I'll buy two of the to run as monoblock. Somehow , if the purloined quote was correct, it gives 80w as monoblock.
The people that have heard it are really impressed. If it sounds as good as I hope it does, this is 'end-game' for me...with upgrades of course.

NF

I'd like to know the minimum impedance it can drive. Can you ask Jason about that, please? Thanks a lot in advance!!!!

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #39,348 of 149,304
I don't get it
I lived in NJ for 11 years. Seeing a big, industrial-dangerous-looking building pop out as you turned a corner on some exurban/rural road never became routine.

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #39,349 of 149,304
:dt880smile: Good show, Freebird was great.:metal:

IMG_20181005_222924631.jpg

I talked to the sound guys after the show, these are the amps they use, hella strong Class D

Sounded great to me, but I do drink. :smirk: http://www.l-acoustics.com/produits-la12x-149.html

1459517589.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #39,350 of 149,304
Hey all,

I’m Jason Stoddard, the co-founder (with Mike Moffat) of Schiit Audio. You may have seen some of my posts on Head-fi. But you haven’t heard the full story of Schiit…why we started the company, how we’ve grown from June 2010 to today, the good stuff…and the bad stuff.

So, in a burst of insanity, I thought, “Why not turn this into a book?”

Why? Well, in addition to Schiit, I’ve written plenty of stuff, including about 30 published stories and 3 books. Jude and the team at Head-fi were kind enough to provide this space for me to serialize this story. The plan is to post a chapter a week until it’s done, which should take us through the summer.

Now, you may be wondering, “Why the heck should I read some crazy book about Schiit?” Well, there’s nobody forcing you to. But if you’re interested in the inner workings of a true by-the-bootstraps startup (did you know we started in a garage, with no external investment?) or if you’ve been thinking about starting your own business (beyond the usual platitudes of “hey, you should incorporate, and there’s this stuff called ‘cash flow’ and stuff), or if you’re just curious about how a modern audio company works (from who’s actually engineering the gear, to how it gets made, to the ups and downs of the day to day working of the company), you may enjoy it, or find it helpful and informative if you want to start a company yourself. I have no illusions that this will be the next business best-seller—if it ever makes it into print—but I’m having fun writing it, and I’m hoping you’ll like reading it.

Disclaimer: there’ll be plenty of technical stuff in here, because, after all, I am an engineer. You won’t have to understand it all, but you may be more entertained if you have a techy side. Later on, there’ll be some early photos from Schiit, as well as a video or two, that have never been seen before.

For ease of reference, I’m putting the outline here. The chapters will be linked as they are added.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy it!

All the best,
Jason Stoddard

Schiit Happened:
The Story of the World’s
Most Improbable Start-Up

By Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder, Schiit Audio

Dedications:

To Mike, for going along with this crazy idea.
To Rina, for support, naming the company, and tolerating the whole mess.
To Eddie, for helping us really get started when we needed it most.
To Tony, for testing dang near everything we’ve made.
To Alex, for taking over, making things right, and running the show.
To Dave, for doing the hardest stuff.

Content:

Forward: Christmas Presents Until the End of Time?
Chapter 1: The Line is Down. Here’s an Undocumented Test Rig. Fix It.
Chapter 2: 15 Years On the Marketing Front Lines
Chapter 3: From Death, Rebirth: Armageddon 2009
Chapter 4: “You Always Say You Have Schiit to Do, Why Don’t You Just Call It That?”
Chapter 5: $800 In Screws?
Chapter 6: The First Order Is…For Something We’re Not Selling
Chapter 7: Metal Debacle, Valhalla Style
Chapter 8: We Screw Up Sennheiser and Insult Some Big Guys
Chapter 9: Powering Up: Lyr
Chapter 10: Our First Employee, Our First Boardhouse
Chapter 11: USB Sucks! Or, Mike Joins the 21st Century
Chapter 12: Schiit Goes Evil?
Chapter 13: “Isn’t the Symbol for USB the Long Flat Rectangle?”
Chapter 14: Technical Help Via Time Warner, and The World’s Most Irritating Failure Mode
Chapter 15: DAC in a Toilet Paper Roll
Chapter 16: Growth, Garage Style
Chapter 17: Resurrecting the Circlotron and Other Mid-Centuryisms
Chapter 18: The Pinch-Off Problem
Chapter 19: Every Road is a Dead End: Early Adventures with Magni
Chapter 20: The HOA Problem
Chapter 21: You Catch a Cold, We Die: Bigger Products, Bigger Problems
Chapter 22: Introducing the Schiithole
Chapter 23: “I Didn’t Know People In the Private Sector Were As Lazy and Incompetent As the People In Schools”
Bonus Chapter: Perspective
Chapter 24: Getting Our Schiit Together
Chapter 25: Dead Media Ain’t Dead: NYT Strikes
Chapter 26: Finally, the $99 Solution
Chapter 27: Twilight of the Gods—Ragnarok from 2009 Until Today
Chapter 28: “You’ll Never Do Any Upgrades Anyway.”
Chapter 29: Worst. Customer. Ever.
Chapter 30: Death of a Product
Chapter 31: R&D Sometimes Means, “Try It, See if it Works”
Chapter 32: Name Me One Non-Standard Format That’s Succeeded, Ever, Or, A Trickster Cometh
Chapter 33: No Sample Left Unchanged: Digital Today
Chapter 34: Black Friday, and How One Company Out-Did Us
Chapter 35: You Want to Pay How Much? Or, How We Moved Again
Chapter 36: A Real Company?
Chapter 37: The Value of Diversions
Chapter 38: Wyrd Schiit
Chapter 39: Unto the Second Generation
Chapter 40: Schiit Goes Vinyl
Chapter 41: Completely Fulla Schiit
Chapter 42: One Year, Twelve Products

And now...

Schiit Happens:
The Ongoing Story of the
World's Most Improbable Start-Up

I had so much fun writing this book that I've decided to continue it on a roughly every-other-week basis. This part may end up being more nuts-and-bolts business, since that's what I'll be dealing with on a more consistent basis this year (rather than launching 10000 more products.)

And so, here we go...starting with a "selling on Amazon" primer like none you've ever seen.

Chapter 1: The Trials and Tribulations of Amazon
Chapter 2: When to Listen, When to Act
Chapter 3: Our Favorite Scammers
Chapter 4: Bridging the Gap
Chapter 5: A Life in the Day Of...
Chapter 6: So You Wanna Get Into the Biz?
Chapter 7: The Yggy Circus, Tidal Uprisings, and the Unknown Future
Chapter 8: Reacting to Now vs Planning for the Future
Chapter 9: Hints, Teases, and Solicitations
Chapter 10: Knowing Our Place?
Chapter 11: Food Scientists vs. Michelin Stars
Chapter 12: Measurements (With a Side Order of Sanity)
Chapter 13: Detours in Balanced-Land, or "Improving On 'Perfection'"
Chapter 14: We Launched a DAC and Got a Movement
Chapter 15: How Not to Start an Audio Company
Chapter 16: When to Say "When"
Chapter 17: The Multibit Revolution Gets Cheap
Chapter 18: Death (and DNR) of a Product
Chapter 19: The Most Difficult Design Brief
Chapter 20: Looking Forward to 2016
_

2016, Chapter 1: A Longer Discourse on Marketing
2016, Chapter 2: What To Do While Waiting For Ragnarok (Or, Alternate Strategies For Creating Your Own Well-Capitalized Company)
2016, Chapter 3: The Importance of Service
2016, Chapter 4: How We (Didn't) Move Again
2016, Chapter 5: The Subjectivist/Objectivist Synthesis
2016, Chapter 6: Being Comfortable with What You Are
2016, Chapter 7: On Modding, Hubris, and Reality
2016, Chapter 8: A Perspective on This Moment in Digital
2016, Chapter 9: The Elephant In The Room
2016, Chapter 10: Because We Can
2016, Chapter 11: The Road to Jotunheim
2016, Chapter 12: Word of Mouth at the Speed of Light
2016, Chapter 13: The Saga of Saga (and, um, Freya too)
2016, Chapter 14: Why You Can't Always Get What You Want
2016, Chapter 15: The Vidar Chronicles, Part I
2016, Chapter 16: Even More Fulla It
2016, Chapter 17: A Directional Assessment

2017, Chapter 1: Why We Do What We Do
2017, Chapter 2: "Obsolete."
2017, Chapter 3: Leaving Marketing
2017, Chapter 4: Deprogramming
2017, Chapter 5: Back to the Past
2017, Chapter 6: Conversations With a Stubborn Engineer
2017, Chapter 7: Learning New Tricks
2017, Chapter 8: The Vidar Chronicles, Part 2
2017, Chapter 9: Skipping a Generation

2017, Chapter 10: Failures and Flyers
2017, Chapter 11: Audiophile Confessions
2017, Chapter 12: Third Time's The Charm
2017, Chapter 13: Sailing Off the Edge of the World
2017, Chapter 14: Slouching Towards Kaizen
2017, Chapter 15: What We Did Right

2017, Chapter 16: What We Did Wrong
2017, Chapter 17: Where We're Going
_

2018, Chapter 1: Adventures in 3D Printing
2018, Chapter 2: Engineering, Part 1
2018, Chapter 3: Engineering, Part 2
2018, Chapter 4: Engineering, Part 3
2018, Chapter 5: Where Do I Start?
2018, Chapter 6: Amplifying the Future. Maybe.

2018, Chapter 7: Engineering, Part 4
2018, Chapter 8: How to (Maybe) Succeed in Engineering (Without Going Insane)
2018, Chapter 9: David Byrne, Progress Interrupted, and an Ode To DIY

2018, Chapter 10: Third Time's The Charm, Part 2

LOL. Quite the 'Plug' there Jay. Although I admire (veteran) start-up "stories", understand the Schiit brands reputation (to my mind) is terribly lacking.
It appears any (resonable, polite -and even articulate) questions regarding some dubious claims, or product/performance claification -or further explanation is of absolutely no interest to you and your business pal Mike.
Personally, I have a few examples, but I'll leave you with thid one: in effort to reduce the near-burning-hot chassis of my Modi-2 Uber, I had a friend (who I thought had some expertise in the field -lol) drill some "precision' holes in the top-plate. Well, one section was done beautifully -but he messed up the other.
And so, I called to purchase a new top-plate (that I was refused) but also to ask why the single transistor became so hot -agan , some lame, indifferent answer.

Perhaps I should a start a book: The Most Improbable Critic (shines light into how owner "personalities" influence tthe success, or demise of a company)

pj

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #39,351 of 149,304
LOL. Quite the 'Plug' there Jay. Although I admire (veteran) start-up "stories", understand the Schiit brands reputation (to my mind) is terribly lacking.
It appears any (resonable, polite -and even articulate) questions regarding some dubious claims, or product/performance claification -or further explanation is of absolutely no interest to you and your business pal Mike.
Personally, I have a few examples, but I'll leave you with thid one: in effort to reduce the near-burning-hot chassis of my Modi-2 Uber, I had a friend (who I thought had some expertise in the field -lol) drill some "precision' holes in the top-plate. Well, one section was done beautifully -but he messed up the other.
And so, I called to purchase a new top-plate (that I was refused) but also to ask why the single transistor became so hot -agan , some lame, indifferent answer.

Perhaps I should a start a book: The Most Improbable Critic (shines light into how owner "personalities" influence tthe success, or demise of a company)

pj
You should do that. Let me know how it goes. :rolling_eyes:

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #39,352 of 149,304
@TomSix

I apologize if too much offense was taken on my end. I actually agree with your point about "all in one" products. Personally I don't like them much at all. Being able to mix and match components and change pieces out is a major advantage, in my opinion. This is especially true of products which mix traditional analog components with digital ones, as the latter become outdated much more quickly.

To that point, the Class D power amp in the Magni chassis I pondered would very much be a single function device, and it would match with Schiit's existing modular budget lineup.

As for the pondered integrated amp, I think pairing a power amplifier and a preamplifier (both analog components) doesn't have a ton of compromises (though of course there are some) and offers a convenience many appreciate. I did mentioned a modular spot for a DAC, but that's mostly because Schiit already does that in many of their other products. Truth be told, it's not a functionality I am much interested in myself, but I can see the value of it for others, and I don't think having that small reserved space detracts much at all for those that would rather use a standalone DAC or phono preamp (though I would still love to see Schiit make an inexpensive card that turns that spot into an extra line level input). I personally prefer separates (I use a Saga and Vidar) in my system, but I could see a Saga sized integrated amp being perfect for a secondary system, or for people who just aren't as into hi-fi.

I have set up many friends and family members with budget systems (often using Schiits budget line of products) that they appreciate. In the vast majority of cases, they do not convert to full audiophiles and start purchasing more expensive gear. However, they still appreciate the higher quality that is offered by real components (even cheaper ones) made by serious companies, over the average bluetooth speaker or headphone. I think Schiit sells a lot of products to these types of people and I think that's a very good thing. Jason says over and over again that Magni and Modi (or Fulla) might be the only headphone amp and DAC you ever need, and I take him to mean that seriously. I don't think those products are meant only as a means to get potential customers to start buying Schiit's more expensive gear, though of course some people will and that's great for Schiit.

I suggested the products I did with the assumption that Schiit would take the same approach to them as Magni/Modi. Meaning that I only wish those products to exist if they are good products that offer good performance to price ratios and function as profitable stand-alone products in Schiit's lineup. If it is in fact impossible to make such a product with Class D topologies, then so be it.

To comment on the story you told about the tube amp, the real tragedy to me is thinking that the only options they have are selling the $2k version at little profit and hoping that people will then purchase the $20k version, or not selling the $2k version at all. (To be clear, I'm not suggesting you are doing this). They could instead sell the $2k version for $2.5k or $3k, and make enough profit off of it to be perfectly fine if no one upgrades to their more expensive gear. After all, they would still be offering 80% of the performance for 1/7th the price. Not to mention at least some people who would still upgrade to the $20k version and then they would make even more. I'm no expert in these matters, but it's a model that seems to work splendidly for Schiit, and it's one I can personally appreciate as a customer. Offering good (and profitable) products for different people at different price points that can be enjoyed as-is indefinitely or upgraded later is great for the seller and the buyer.

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #39,353 of 149,304

Well, you chose like the worst possible example. Why do you expect getting any kind of support after literally butchering someone's product?

If you read Jason's book carefully, he mentions exact reasoning why Schiit would prefer not to have any business with customers as yourself.

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #39,354 of 149,304
550x550xdave-chappelle-memes-06-550x550jpgpagespeedicy0hd6la.jpg

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #39,355 of 149,304
I think Schiit sells a lot of products to these types of people and I think that's a very good thing. Jason says over and over again that Magni and Modi (or Fulla) might be the only headphone amp and DAC you ever need, and I take him to mean that seriously. I don't think those products are meant only as a means to get potential customers to start buying Schiit's more expensive gear, though of course some people will and that's great for Schiit.

8yaa.gif

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #39,356 of 149,304
I lived in NJ for 11 years. Seeing a big, industrial-dangerous-looking building pop out as you turned a corner on some exurban/rural road never became routine.
Actually, it is called the Cornfield Cruiser because it is(was when I was growing up, I haven't been there in years) surrounded by corn fields. As children, we all thought it was a bizarre sight when taking a bike ride, surrounded by fields and cows and then suddenly, bang, this bizarre sight. At that time it was called RCA Naval Combat Systems. My favorite part of the ride was stopping at the Holly Ravine. That place had its own cows and made its ice cream on premises.

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #39,357 of 149,304
Regarding buzzing Vidars, mine has a slight hum from the unit , which is now inaudible since I placed it on some sorbothene feet I had knocking around the house.
I had a hum through the speakers with Saga/Vidar. After a bit of experimentation, I tried some interconnects with better shielding, and the hum has gone.

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #39,358 of 149,304

pj

Why didn’t you just send the DAC back for repair or replacement? If it was under warranty, it certainly isn’t now, thanks to your expert friend!
I had experience of this kind of thing a few times when I worked in retail. As we say in this part of England “ There’s nowt so queer as folk”.

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #39,359 of 149,304
@TomSix

... Offering good (and profitable) products for different people at different price points that can be enjoyed as-is indefinitely or upgraded later is great for the seller and the buyer.

This! A company that takes care of customers in this manner will have growth and a satisfied customer base...

It took me years to figure this approach (less $$$ on dac/amp/preamp and more on transducers) was the right one for me. I shudder to think what I could've done with all the $$$$$ spent on hardware. In the end, I realized that I was listening to gear and not music! And...I always wanted better gear -- Sansui receiver to Pioneer integrated amp to Phase Linear separates to Hafler to Crown to Adcom to NAD to Marantz to GAS to Sumo to Luxman to Bryston to Threshold to ARC to Levinson to Krell and many others I've forgotten.

Finally got tired of the 'ROI' and picked up some moderately priced gear (Forte) for my office system and got off that path...which I never regretted.

To my way of thinking, Ashirin's quote above is what makes Schiit a company I'll continue to do business with...

Even so, it's highly unlikely I'll ever buy their 'high-end' stuff (Yggy, etc.)...still smarting over buying a Bimby only to have the Mimby come out shortly thereafter! :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #39,360 of 149,304

pj
Did the dog eat your homework too? Drill some holes in your phone next, I hear they send you two new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back