Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 5, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #39,331 of 148,608
I noticed my Vidars are making a bit of a buzzing noise. It's coming from the device itself, though it does seem audible through the speakers as well. Has anyone else experienced this?

Not sure if this was fully answered for you, but I believe in the past Jason has said:

Hum from the amp = DC Offset on your power lines
Hum from the speakers = Ground loop (or noisy source)

Both should be audible from the listening position to be considered abnormal (it’s normal to have some hum when you’re right next to the amp).

DC offset can be solved by something like Emotiva CMX-2. For groundloops I believe Jason has recommended EBtech HumX

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #39,334 of 148,608
It's a class-D amp! and a microwave oven! and an eyeball frier!
4317378629_0ae423888e_b.jpg

USS Rancocas, otherwise known as the Cornfield Cruiser. The hexagonal structure below the bridge deck is a phased array radar. It is driven by Gallium Arsenide chips to emit microwaves powerful enough to illuminate a target miles away. High frequency power emission was one of the last vestiges of tube use.

One a personal note, my RCA 6sn7s somehow found their way from the Cornfield Cruiser to my Freya.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #39,335 of 148,608
Ah yes grid.
Sorry.
Grits are a mixture of corn, glue and manure.

Tee Hee .... actually not.

Grits are mainly ground-up corn.
Americans eat it because we grow a lot of corn here.
Some like grits with sugar. Others like 'em with butter, salt & pepper.
Your preference.

But, not polenta. That's grown in other countries.

Grits are more of a Southern American thing, like Sam wrote.
Up North, where I originated, we always ate oatmeal.
Because we had oats up there, ya know?

So now that I live in Tennessee, I can have 'em both ... grits or oatmeal.
We straddle the Mason-Dixon line.

I had some polenta in Brazil, and wasn't overly impressed.
What do Italians eat for breakfast carbs?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #39,336 of 148,608

USS Rancocas, otherwise known as the Cornfield Cruiser. The hexagonal structure below the bridge deck is a phased array radar. It is driven by Gallium Arsenide chips to emit microwaves powerful enough to illuminate a target miles away. High frequency power emission was one of the last vestiges of tube use.

One a personal note, my RCA 6sn7s somehow found their way from the Cornfield Cruiser to my Freya.
NJ, it figures :wink:

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #39,339 of 148,608
IMG_20181005_195449466.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #39,340 of 148,608
What? No one talking about the new Schiit amp??

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #39,341 of 148,608
This is purloined, I don't get to see/hear until tomorrow
They handed out literature for their epic as hell amp. He’s solved the transconductance problem and even Broskie was impressed talking in person. Sounded really ****ing good. Class A, 20wpc @ 8 ohms, 799 expected MSRP. Run in mono does 80w @ 8 ohms. ****ing beast of an amp in a Vidar size chassis.

Sounds good to me, more than rumor
NF

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #39,342 of 148,608
That argument misses two key points: 1) some of us favor music that is not amplified or only lightly amplified in live performance; 2) the analog/physical environment downstream of any class D amplification in a live performance is very different from the environment in home listening, especially with headphones. Because of its switching nature, class D perceived quality depends on downstream filtering/component frequency response/analog nonlinearities. I used to have a (high end) class D amp (BelCanto) that did well with the speakers I had (KEF LS50 and then KEF Reference 1s), but sounded shrill with headphones. I don't know for sure whether that was a class D artifact, but my current class AB amp does not behave that way.

Hopefully, the wink at the end of my previous post helped position my comment to some degree.

I also prefer these live performances as well...acoustic jazz especially.

However, the minute you step into the world of recorded music, there is so much 'pollution' that is not 'analog' that it really begets some consideration/thought. The level of focus on dac/amp over the years is, to a large degree, misplaced...as Jason apparently discussed when he compared it to the impact of better transducers (mentioned by another poster).

Regarding Class D...FWIW, many top end studio monitor firms (PMC, Genelec, etc.) now use Class D in their active monitors that are in use in major studios.

Regarding different Class topologies...Imo, much of the posturing/discussions/etc. about the nuances between these topologies is overblown -- audio nervosa to me.

I say this having owned expensive 2 channel systems with Class A, A/B amps, multibit and D/S dacs, etc. I'd rather get some good sounding, high value hardware and spend the extra $ on some excellent transducers. Just my $.02

PS - for folks that want their system to be ruler flat, I wonder how many have had their hearing properly measured and take this into account (EQ? A no-no to many audiophiles).

Also, for recorded music, each studio setup is different...as is each sound engineer's hearing capabilities. How on earth should an audiophile adjust for these variables?

Net, net...to me, there's way too much hand-wringing over this stuff...would rather just listen music I like and not for perceived nuances in equipment.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #39,343 of 148,608
Oct 5, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #39,345 of 148,608
I think the word is out by now. While it may look like a vidar externally it is like the vidar but with the new Continuity topology.
This is what I wished for sometime back:
(Sorry I don't want to quote the entire post, but it is for a 20w essentially class A amp under a grand, and I'll buy two of the to run as monoblock. Somehow , if the purloined quote was correct, it gives 80w as monoblock.
The people that have heard it are really impressed. If it sounds as good as I hope it does, this is 'end-game' for me...with upgrades of course.

NF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back