RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jun 30, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #2,881 of 5,991
I just picked up the 2019 version used and it should be here by Thursday. I am super excited!!

The ADI will be replacing Drop LCX + Grace SDAC in my chain.

PC(Audrivana)>>ADI-2>>BHC>>Atticus
I am hoping the ADI can drive the Atticus decently during days I tinkering/upgrading the BHC. I know won't be ideal, but am hoping it won't be significant drop off from the liquid carbon to the ADI amp section.

If anyone is interested, the LCX+SDAC is going up on in the classifies today/tomorrow as soon as I can snap some pics.

So happy to join the RME club!

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #2,882 of 5,991
I just picked up the 2019 version used and it should be here by Thursday. I am super excited!!

The ADI will be replacing Drop LCX + Grace SDAC in my chain.

PC(Audrivana)>>ADI-2>>BHC>>Atticus
I am hoping the ADI can drive the Atticus decently during days I tinkering/upgrading the BHC. I know won't be ideal, but am hoping it won't be significant drop off from the liquid carbon to the ADI amp section.

If anyone is interested, the LCX+SDAC is going up on in the classifies today/tomorrow as soon as I can snap some pics.

So happy to join the RME club!
Welcome aboard mate!

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #2,883 of 5,991
Here we go, now i need to set it up and take some listening:

2020-07-01 16.55.08.jpg

I am still reading the manual, does anyone has some useful settings recommendations?
Like @Cevisi told me about the Auto Reference Mode which switches between low and high gain automatically based on the volume level.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #2,884 of 5,991
Jul 2, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #2,885 of 5,991
Update Adi-2 DAC Version 1 to Version 2:

I received a new DAC V2 yesterday. Before I had the V1, which I bought in 2018. Was one of the first who had it. I could sell the old one well, so I bought the V2.

Reason was the new chip 4493 and the better signal to noise ratio as preamplifier. I only need it via iFi Pro iCan. Also the new remote control is nice.

Yesterday I tested it briefly. Optically exactly the same. It also came with the latest software version. Meaning that RME will start shipping at the end of May 2020.

What you notice immediately, the relay circuits sound different. Apparently I was reworked, although it doesn't say so anywhere. You also notice immediately that the two buttons feel completely different. Feel more precise, run a bit stricter than the old ones, overall a better feeling.

I made the same settings for the line-out as for the old one. It is now less sensitive to overmodulation at the analog output.

Sound: It's hard to hear a difference to the old one. The feeling is slightly better when you listen to music very loud. But it could just as well be a placebo effect, I wouldn't let it get to me. But I think the distortions at high volume are lower.

Is it worth switching from V1 to V2? If you can't sell the old one very well, it's not worth it. The differences are too small. Yes the new remote control is successful. However, I only need it very rarely. If you use it as a pure DAC and preamplifier, it can be helpful that the signal-to-noise ratio is a bit lower. But as I said, from a listening point of view there is hardly any difference. Therefore I think rather NO.

But otherwise it is already a great device and especially if you use it as a pure DAC, ingenious with all the adjustment possibilities.

https://audioxpress.com/news/rme-updates-adi-2-dac-and-rme-babyface-pro-interface-with-fs-models

Jul 2, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #2,886 of 5,991
Update Adi-2 DAC Version 1 to Version 2:

I received a new DAC V2 yesterday. Before I had the V1, which I bought in 2018. Was one of the first who had it. I could sell the old one well, so I bought the V2.

Reason was the new chip 4493 and the better signal to noise ratio as preamplifier. I only need it via iFi Pro iCan. Also the new remote control is nice.

Yesterday I tested it briefly. Optically exactly the same. It also came with the latest software version. Meaning that RME will start shipping at the end of May 2020.

What you notice immediately, the relay circuits sound different. Apparently I was reworked, although it doesn't say so anywhere. You also notice immediately that the two buttons feel completely different. Feel more precise, run a bit stricter than the old ones, overall a better feeling.

I made the same settings for the line-out as for the old one. It is now less sensitive to overmodulation at the analog output.

Sound: It's hard to hear a difference to the old one. The feeling is slightly better when you listen to music very loud. But it could just as well be a placebo effect, I wouldn't let it get to me. But I think the distortions at high volume are lower.

Is it worth switching from V1 to V2? If you can't sell the old one very well, it's not worth it. The differences are too small. Yes the new remote control is successful. However, I only need it very rarely. If you use it as a pure DAC and preamplifier, it can be helpful that the signal-to-noise ratio is a bit lower. But as I said, from a listening point of view there is hardly any difference. Therefore I think rather NO.

But otherwise it is already a great device and especially if you use it as a pure DAC, ingenious with all the adjustment possibilities.

https://audioxpress.com/news/rme-updates-adi-2-dac-and-rme-babyface-pro-interface-with-fs-models

Huh, I got a V2 from the very first batch that Thomann.de received, about 6 months ago... this is old news.

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #2,887 of 5,991
Huh, I got a V2 from the very first batch that Thomann.de received, about 6 months ago... this is old news.

What is old news? He is comparing v1 with v2 and he is providing his opinion on the differences.

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #2,888 of 5,991
It is also another opinion. BTW, why don't you show us the old news so that we can compare..............

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #2,889 of 5,991

I just wanted to say that my dealer always has bake-fresh equipment in stock. It's not a given. So I was surprised to get a device with the installed software from mid-May, the latest version. So a very fresh device! :slight_smile:

Yes, of course the V2 is available since November, I spent the day to find out the difference between V1 and V2 and if it is worth changing.

Jul 2, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #2,891 of 5,991
It is also another opinion. BTW, why don't you show us the old news so that we can compare..............

You can see it in the link he posted, dated November 2019. And also upthread :wink:

What is old news? He is comparing v1 with v2 and he is providing his opinion on the differences.

It's old news presented as he just got the first unit and has some bulletin. Seriously, this thread is 193 pages for a reason. Whether there is a difference in sound quality was discussed when the first devices found homes. And I pointed out several times that RME said there is no audible difference.

Jul 2, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2,892 of 5,991
You can see it in the link he posted, dated November 2019. And also upthread :wink:

But what did you mean when you said that "this is old news"? He did not claim to bring us the news that a new version of the RME ADI-2 DAC FS is available. He literally provided us with the results of his daylong testing between v1 and v2? They are his results, his opinions. Even if something along the same lines was posted before (and the thing about the volume knob, etc. most definitely hasn't been said), there is value to the community in having additional reviews and impressions.

Instead of brushing this off, can you please explain why you shot off a short message dismissing his review (therefore effectively discouraging these kinds of posts) as old news? I have absolutely ZERO interest in starting a disagreement. I am here for the hobby, for the enjoyment. You are a valuable member of the community from everything I have read. I would just like you to consider that a lesson might need to be learned here.

It's old news presented as he just got the first unit and has some bulletin. Seriously, this thread is 193 pages for a reason. Whether there is a difference in sound quality was discussed when the first devices found homes. And I pointed out several times that RME said there is no audible difference.

We were responding to each other's messages at the same time. :) OK, I see, but I respectfully disagree. There was a lot of detail in his review and I, for one, very much appreciate the time he took to test, review and post his impressions here. I would like to see more people do this.

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #2,893 of 5,991
It works for me too - people posting impressions as much as possible. Where I live, impressions are basically all I have to go on, impressions, user reviews and "expert" reviews.

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2,894 of 5,991
It works for me too - people posting impressions as much as possible. Where I live, impressions are basically all I have to go on, impressions, user reviews and "expert" reviews.

OK, if you haven't got one already then see if you can find a cheap second hand V1 of the ADI-2 DAC. The V2 improvements are paper only improvements in that they have no real world application. To my ears both the V1 and V2 sound identical

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #2,895 of 5,991
Just upgraded to an ADI-2 DAC from an original Compass. I've been away from the hobby for a while but when searching for a good combo unit for work kind of went off the deep end. Also have a couple headphones in the mail. RIP my wallet.

Anyways, two quick questions!

1. How long does it take to get used to a digital volume control? I honestly am finding it a little disconcerting. I'm used to knowing exactly where on the dial safe and unsafe listening levels are, and what I'm getting at each position. I just feel a little lost with a digital volume control, but as a side effect I find myself listening at much lower levels (-39dB) which I guess is a plus. These are also massively better than the Compass at lower listening levels which I guess is also its own post.

2. So I was interesting in a 2nd AC adapter to make moving the unit between two computers as easy as possible. The AC adapter direct from RME is $60! Is there anything special about it? Anyone know what a comparable unit would be?

BTW, I am using these with the HD600s. And while they are voiced massively differently than they were on the Compass (that deserves its own post) I don't think these are a bad match like several previous posters have said. My biggest issue is that they're pushing vocals way further back in the mix than I would like. It's almost like they brought out some of that mysterious Sennheiser Veil that people always complained about but I never really noticed. But considering I'm getting used to a new amp after literally a decade there would likely be some level of unlearning to do no matter what.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back