RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jul 5, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #2,911 of 6,016
LCX power supply outs at 30v 1.25A

That is not good news. The back panel of the RME says 9-15 VDC, I think. Hopefully they have some protection circuitry. Anyway, try the reset process @Swisshead linked to in the RME forums. Let us know how you make out.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #2,912 of 6,016
1593974885194.png

ohhhhn this is toooo much!

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #2,913 of 6,016
Jul 5, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #2,914 of 6,016
Didn't it smell burning?
No burning smell. I definitely didn't mean to use the wrong power supply, but it looks like I fried or tripped something that I can't. Attempting to factory reset doesn't do anything sadly, as the power button blinks red and it doesn't on enough to initiate the reset.

Hopefully RME can fix it :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #2,915 of 6,016
Would directly mail the support of RME in Germany. I already did, they usually answer quickly and competently.

support@rme-audio.com

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #2,916 of 6,016
Would directly mail the support of RME in Germany. I already did, they usually answer quickly and competently.

support@rme-audio.com
I messaged them through The US contact page, and just now sent a follow up directly to the email you linked.

Thanks! Hopefully its not going to be a pricey fix.

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #2,917 of 6,016
There must be some way to solve this. There are so many protection circuits in the device for overload and other things, there should also be something for the power input.

In the past, every device had a fuse on the outside, which could easily be replaced in such a case, but unfortunately not anymore. Hope for a simple cheap solution for you.

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #2,918 of 6,016
Fuses are for current rather than voltage. It's easy enough to provide an over-voltage circuit but each component adds a lot to the price. Let's hope RME has some good news for @Bullpride

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #2,920 of 6,016
Is there any consent between Auto Ref Level (keeps SNR low) and always use High Gain (some report more live like sound)?

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #2,921 of 6,016
Is there any consent between Auto Ref Level (keeps SNR low) and always use High Gain (some report more live like sound)?

I never use auto ref, I always use high gain but it is often not enough. Depends on your headphones.

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #2,922 of 6,016
Me to always high gain

Jul 7, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #2,923 of 6,016
High gain with too much attenuation (more than 10dB) in theory you are losing resolution (worst signal to noise ratio). Autoref keeps it always optimized.

Edit: in fact let me show the graph Matthias from RME posted on ASR. It deserves way more visibility for such a cool feature.

SINAD vs Volume Control - ADI-2 DAC AutoRef Edit.PNG

The Y axis is SINAD, or signal to noise ratio. Higher is better.

The X axis is output level. To the right is the loudest, left is lower volume.

Red and dark blue lines are with AutoRef disabled. It is a simple digital volume attenuation. The more you lower the volume, the less signal to noise ratio you end up. That is because the signal itself gets lower, but the high gain noise floor is still kept high.

The light blue and yellow lines are with AutoRef turned on. From right to left, max volume and turning down, it starts as a digital volume lowering the signal to noise ratio. But when a certain point is reached, the DAC intelligently switches to a lower gain and turns the digital attenuation back to the maximum again, so that the signal to noise ratio goes up again. And if you continue to lower the volume, it repeats again and again, so that even in low volumes the DAC was smart to use a lower gain and keep the signal to noise ratio maximized.

Now the beauty is that this is all automatic, we just turn the volume down and the DAC does its thing to what is best.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #2,924 of 6,016
@Matias Thank you for the Explanation!

Jul 8, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #2,925 of 6,016
An analogy with cars.

Always high gain is like manual transmission and using 5th gear all the time. Makes sense in high speed, but it's terrible at low speed.

Manually switching gains and using a few dBs of digital attenuation is like manually switching gears, using the optimal torque in each gear.

AutoRef on is like automatic transmission, the car switches gears for you while you just hit the accelerator or the break pedals. :)

(And a variable gain design would be like a CVT transmission, always high torque without the gear jumps in between)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back