RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jun 27, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #2,866 of 6,005
Agreed, my HD600 sound horrible with the RME. I cannot figure this pairing out.

I guess they don't swing enough voltage but I don't know the real answer. But I had this happen with several different amps and I now realize it immediately if an amp doesn't have enough guts. Oddly, have not observed the same thing on any non-Sennheiser headphones.

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #2,867 of 6,005
I guess they don't swing enough voltage but I don't know the real answer. But I had this happen with several different amps and I now realize it immediately if an amp doesn't have enough guts. Oddly, have not observed the same thing on any non-Sennheiser headphones.
Same here, the RME plays nicely with just about every headphone in my collection except the harder to drive ones. Even with those, they don't sound bad out of the RME, just under powered.

I'm listening to the Obravo's Ra C-Cu's on the the RME and they sound they sound like full-sized headphones, simply magical. On the TT2, 3XR, H2 and my LP the Obravo's sound like crap. That's another weird phenomenon I'm trying to figure out.

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #2,868 of 6,005
Pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of these. Just deciding on which setup I'll use it and if I should go the pro model.

Studio - I do home recording and currently use a Scarlett 2I4 interface to my monitors. The DAW I use is Studio One and unfortunately it only allows 1 interface for I/O. I would really like a better DAC/Headphone amp to playback my mixes and for the odd music session in there. I was thinking if I got the pro, I could use the RCA unbalanced from my 2I4 into the RMW and use it for headphone amp, then switch Windows 10 playback to the RME for music playback.

Lounge/Listening - I have a HT setup but also my 2 channel for my turntable into an integrated. Thinking I could put the RME DAC in here and use it for headphone listening from either DVD player source or streaming service (android phone). Again, if I got the pro I 'could' put my turntable pre into it too however I do have a good separate headphone amp (Heed Canamp) I'm using.

Headphone wise I have the Focal Elegia, Q701 and Momentum 2.0 - so nothing too difficult to drive.

Maybe I need 2 of these! haha

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #2,869 of 6,005
Jun 29, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #2,871 of 6,005
Pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of these. Just deciding on which setup I'll use it and if I should go the pro model.

Studio - I do home recording and currently use a Scarlett 2I4 interface to my monitors. The DAW I use is Studio One and unfortunately it only allows 1 interface for I/O. I would really like a better DAC/Headphone amp to playback my mixes and for the odd music session in there. I was thinking if I got the pro, I could use the RCA unbalanced from my 2I4 into the RMW and use it for headphone amp, then switch Windows 10 playback to the RME for music playback.

Lounge/Listening - I have a HT setup but also my 2 channel for my turntable into an integrated. Thinking I could put the RME DAC in here and use it for headphone listening from either DVD player source or streaming service (android phone). Again, if I got the pro I 'could' put my turntable pre into it too however I do have a good separate headphone amp (Heed Canamp) I'm using.

Headphone wise I have the Focal Elegia, Q701 and Momentum 2.0 - so nothing too difficult to drive.

Maybe I need 2 of these! haha
Studio:
I ordered my ADI-2 DAC, it still did not arrive, but I plan to use it with a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen through digital SPDIF RCA coax into the ADI-2 DAC. IMO I think this is a better combo: ADI-2 DAC (1,150 usd) + Focusrite 8i6 (300 usd) = 1,450 usd and still lower priced than an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (1,999 usd).

As for DAW, maybe switch to Cakewalk, since it is now free, and use as many interface inputs you like?
https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #2,872 of 6,005
I don't get it. Why do you want to run a USB audio interface into a DAC? Of course the Pro version DAC with ADC costs more, it is betrer than the focusrite.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2,873 of 6,005
I don't get it. Why do you want to run a USB audio interface into a DAC? Of course the Pro version DAC with ADC costs more, it is betrer than the focusrite.
Because the ADI-2 Pro is an AD converter, it records line level signals only, it does not have preamps or phantom power for recording instruments or condenser microphones as an audio interface does. And only 2 channels.
The good thing of combining a multi-channel audio interface into ADI-2 DAC is using its better DA converters and headphone amp for monitoring.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,874 of 6,005
Because the ADI-2 Pro is an AD converter, it records line level signals only, it does not have preamps or phantom power for recording instruments or condenser microphones as an audio interface does. And only 2 channels.
The good thing of combining a multi-channel audio interface into ADI-2 DAC is using its better DA converters and headphone amp for monitoring.

Yes, but if you had the Pro you could create DSD recordings.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #2,875 of 6,005
Just ordered a RME ADI 2 DAC FS, can't wait to try it out.
My M200 + SP200 will be going to my office workplace.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #2,876 of 6,005

There is no need to try it out. We already know how great it is :D

Congrats and welcome to the club! :)

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #2,877 of 6,005

Congrats!

Curious, what does Roon do for you in that set-up - PC->Roon->RME->Headphones?

My very specific question is:

How is it better than PC running Qobuz/OwnLibrary/Tidal/Whatever->RME->Headphones?

Is it just that you are streaming to somewhere away from the PC using Roon? Do you gain anything at all using Roon if your whole setup is next to the PC?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #2,878 of 6,005
Congrats!

Curious, what does Roon do for you in that set-up - PC->Roon->RME->Headphones?

My very specific question is:

How is it better than PC running Qobuz/OwnLibrary/Tidal/Whatever->RME->Headphones?

Is it just that you are streaming to somewhere away from the PC using Roon? Do you gain anything at all using Roon if your whole setup is next to the PC?

Roon is a nice piece of software and put together my own library, TIDAL and Quboz at one place, with nice metadata features.
Before that i used Foobar2000 and the standalone apps of both streaming services, but after trying Roon i sticked to it.
I have some endpoints like Sonos speakers and a Raspberry Pi connected to my AVReceiver in my hobby room which is practicaly a home cinema.
Also i can play thngs on my mobile devices from my Roon library, while connected via VPN back to my home.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #2,879 of 6,005
:sleeping:
Studio:
I ordered my ADI-2 DAC, it still did not arrive, but I plan to use it with a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen through digital SPDIF RCA coax into the ADI-2 DAC. IMO I think this is a better combo: ADI-2 DAC (1,150 usd) + Focusrite 8i6 (300 usd) = 1,450 usd and still lower priced than an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (1,999 usd).

As for DAW, maybe switch to Cakewalk, since it is now free, and use as many interface inputs you like?
https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
This is a great idea. You are right, a much better option than going for the pro. Like you, I need the mic pres/phantom power of the Scarlett also.

This would give the best of both worlds!

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #2,880 of 6,005
20200630_153932.jpg

My current work desk. Room for two HEDD Type 05 monitors set aside. In the meantime IEMs and cans will do just fine :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back