RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jun 26, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #2,851 of 6,005
i drive my DT 1990 pro between -30 to -20 db it goes till +10 so i have a headroom of 40-30 db. and the 1990 are not the easiest headphone to driver so yea i think the amp is really good for 80% stuff out there

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #2,852 of 6,005
The built in headphone amps with the RME ADI-2 are simply not as high quality as the DAC portion of the unit. Having sufficient power to drive a given headphone is NOT the same as driving the headphone to it's maximum potential. I've tried the built in headphone amp outputs (IEM and Phones) with Focal Elear and Focal Stellia headphones, and compared those to using a Mjolnir Audio Pure Bipolar amp with the ADI-2. It was no contest. The Pure Bipolar far exceeds the built in headphone amps.

The ADI-2 with the Pure Bipolar is a outstanding combination, one of the best sounding for headphones I've come across.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #2,853 of 6,005
TBH, I was actually much happier driving the Utopias from the RME ADI-2 DAC instead of the Woo Audio 8 Eclipse and compared to an amp like the HDV 820, the HD800's were even more fantastic as well out of the 1/4" jack in hi-power mode. I do prefer a purely reference sound, and while nice goblets of high resolution power make for an entertaining experience with the drivers going all out, long listening sessions are rewarding with the ADI-2 DAC's realistic/lighter touch. Not saying it's the end of my personal audio journey (I do wish to obtain a Benchmark HPA4 someday and the SPL Phonitor X was a perfect partner for the Abyss Phi TC from a power aspect), but the unit is absolutely fantastic for my needs and makes any IEM I listen to sound the way they should. It really does blend in with the many things you give it, which to others can be a detriment to seeking a different audio experience through new gears they purchase.

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #2,854 of 6,005
I'm considering getting a Monolith Liquid Platinum or Rupert Neve Designs RNHP amp for the ADI-2. Tube sounds fun since I can buy tubes to experiment with the sound.

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #2,856 of 6,005
I'm considering getting a Monolith Liquid Platinum or Rupert Neve Designs RNHP amp for the ADI-2. Tube sounds fun since I can buy tubes to experiment with the sound.

I would suggest skipping the in-between step (the LP is a hybrid amp) and going for a true tube amp like Woo Audio WA 2 or WA6.

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #2,857 of 6,005
But those types of headphones are the exception rather than the rule, the RME on high power mode can drive most cans pretty darn good.

Well, I have Sennheiser 600s and 800s that don't sound good out of the RME. I stand by what I said. It depends on what headphones you have whether the RME amp section will be good enough or not. Just saying it's fine for most headphones isn't helpful.

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #2,858 of 6,005

For which cans?

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #2,859 of 6,005
Rebel amp? or Topping A90 if you're looking for SS
Considered D90 + A90 combo in the past but iirc I read it was a bit bright. I wanted an all-in-one solution so got the ADI-2 but I've been so impressed with everything that I'm willing to spend just a bit more to see how much more I could push my new headphones.

For which cans?
Meze Empyreans. It's already a warm headphones overall so I'm reading that people generally prefer to pair it with solid state amps. But despite people saying I won't need any more bass with it, I'm a basshead so I EQ'd more bass. I like being able to feel the bass without blasting all other sounds. It comes with two pads. The leather pads being warmer and the alcantara being more detailed. Right now I prefer the alcantara with ADI-2 EQ boost on bass. I might have offended some people with my previous EQ pic with ridiculous spike lol. I'm told to not post anymore EQ pics but after figuring out how to play with the settings I'm able to finally get a smoother curve without affecting frequency past 50hz. I like this one for my headphones and ears.

1593284834958.png

I'm sort of leaning towards the Liquid Platinum because it is balanced and I can change the tubes. I will get copper and silver cables but not sure on termination (XLR or 1/4" jack). Getting adapters will cost me extra and balanced amp may not even be better for my headphones. From what I'm reading, it seems that high impedance headphones get the most benefit from balanced connection and that single ended connection is just as good if amp implementation is good. With this hobby there's always the "what ifs" in pursuit of "better" sound. I like to experiment but also do not want to waste money.

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #2,861 of 6,005
Cables are definitely a waste of money if you want to change the way headphones sound.

I guess based on the specifications the RME has plenty amp for the Empyreans. Since the RME is rare in having EQ and you already have it, probably no reason to buy a separate amp. Especially tube hybrids, although they are suitable for driving low impedance cans, will not change the sound or be tubey nearly as much as OTL amps in most cases. And the Empyreans are already considered warm. Going tube seems like a bad idea.

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #2,862 of 6,005
Well, I have Sennheiser 600s and 800s that don't sound good out of the RME. I stand by what I said. It depends on what headphones you have whether the RME amp section will be good enough or not. Just saying it's fine for most headphones isn't helpful.
I am saying in high power the RME will drive most headphones loud enough, you may prefer a tube amp for your Senns, but the RME will get my pair of HD650 to deafening levels, along with most of my headphones. Your sound or distortion flavor isn't factored into what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #2,863 of 6,005
I am saying in high power the RME will drive most headphones loud enough, you may prefer a tube amp for your Senns, but the RME will get my pair of HD650 to deafening levels, along with most of my headphones. Your sound or distortion flavor isn't factored into what I'm talking about.

Volume isn't the problem with Sennheisers. They sound lifeless out of the RME even though they get loud enough.

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #2,864 of 6,005
Cables are definitely a waste of money if you want to change the way headphones sound.

I guess based on the specifications the RME has plenty amp for the Empyreans. Since the RME is rare in having EQ and you already have it, probably no reason to buy a separate amp. Especially tube hybrids, although they are suitable for driving low impedance cans, will not change the sound or be tubey nearly as much as OTL amps in most cases. And the Empyreans are already considered warm. Going tube seems like a bad idea.
I wouldn't call cables a waste of money, but I will say that they should be the last tweak you should make. Dacs and amps will alter the sound the most and should be give priority over cables in building a system. Once you get your front end to sound the way you want it, then start looking for cable upgrades to fine tune that sound.

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #2,865 of 6,005
Volume isn't the problem with Sennheisers. They sound lifeless out of the RME even though they get loud enough.
Agreed, my HD600 sound horrible with the RME. I cannot figure this pairing out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back