RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 23, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #2,431 of 6,020
I have a set of V14s and just want to take a little brightness out of them. Just a little. Thought it was going to be as simple as going to the high end of the graph and pull it down lol. Guess thats not how it works.

Just create a -2 to -3dB notch at around 8KHz. if that doesn't help then increase the Q until the offending frequency is reduced. After this you can narrow the Q again and do a sweep to isolate the frequency in question and, once found expand the Q to taste.

You might find this useful if you're an EQ beginner. https://blog.landr.com/eq-basics-everything-musicians-need-know-eq/

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #2,432 of 6,020
My experience with external amps is (a) RME ADI-2 with Gilmore Lite Mk II = preferred it without the Gilmore after one listen; it did not improve the sound or do anything else for me, just added some grain it seemed; (b) RME ADI-2 with Woo Audio WA3 (with Tung Sol 5998 JAN power tube and Telefunken branded E88CC) - this immediately seemed to add space and dimension to the sound. It was so obvious after the first minute that I now always turn on the WA3 when I really want to enjoy the music, not just casually listening while working. I had two non-audio/head-fi-ers do a blind test and they immediately confirmed the same thing. So now I do believe reasonably priced external amps can improve the sound of the RME. But I have my suspicions that it should not be paired with sterile amps.

May 23, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #2,433 of 6,020
Do you find the THX an improvement on the RME amp when you are using single ended?

Yes with a few headphones that have higher impedance. The RME performs great on its own with any headphone that is responsive/efficient without high impedance. Hard to drive high-Ohm cans and planar driver magnets tend to require more power to push them. Although lately newer planars like the LCD X and 4-series are more efficient and some can run on mobile phones. I did notice with the Sendy Aivas and Ether CX’s the THX amp seemed to open them up more.

May 23, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #2,434 of 6,020
been using my rme adi-2 for almost half a year now - loving it
coming from a vali 2 + bifrost - it transformed my headphones a lot

pairing it with hd800s, lcd2f (2018 version), and andromeda has been a joy

but been tempting to get a thx789 - is it worthwhile?
down the road would like to add hifiman arya to the collection but not sure if the rme is enough to power it?

May 23, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #2,435 of 6,020
To me there is no improvement in SE mode. Yet to try my balanced cables about to arrive.
Thats good to know. Thank you for the response.

May 23, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #2,436 of 6,020
down the road would like to add hifiman arya to the collection but not sure if the rme is enough to power it?

The RME has plenty of power for the Aryas. It is a fantastic pairing.

May 23, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #2,437 of 6,020
Just create a -2 to -3dB notch at around 8KHz. if that doesn't help then increase the Q until the offending frequency is reduced. After this you can narrow the Q again and do a sweep to isolate the frequency in question and, once found expand the Q to taste.

You might find this useful if you're an EQ beginner. https://blog.landr.com/eq-basics-everything-musicians-need-know-eq/

Thank you very much for the info. I will take a look and it is much appreciated.

May 23, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #2,438 of 6,020
good to hear - now i don't have to worry about needing to get another amp ahahha

May 23, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #2,439 of 6,020
May 23, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #2,440 of 6,020
So far I’m finding the RME ADI-2 FS superb with my Audeze LCD-4z’s, Audio-Technica ATH-R70x’s, and Hifiman HE1000se’s. Not so great with my Abyss Diana Phi’s. The headphone output on it is better my GIlmore Lite Mk2 and Burson Fun. Compared to my Hugo 2 as all-in-one, I prefer richest and tone of the ADI-2 FS. As a DAC only, I prefer the detail retrieval, clarity, and transparency of the Hugo 2. The TT2 is a few steps ahead of both performance wise. I can’t really say it’s quadruple the price better than what you get from the RME ADI-2 FS.

Needless to say, I’m really impressed with the RME ADI-2 FS. It’s going to replace some of my gear for sure.

May 23, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #2,441 of 6,020
May 24, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #2,442 of 6,020
20200523_150550.jpg

RME ADI-2 DAC on Steroids.
It's a work in progress..upper installation plate coming.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #2,443 of 6,020
I run the RME line-out through the XLR outputs to a THX AAA 789 amp. I max out the volume on the amp and control the volume and tone/frequency settings with the RME.

The way things are designed to work is the source should be run at line out (line-level) and the volume should be controlled at the amplifier.

The only time I use EQ with the RME is for my Fostex TR to kill the V signature and not very often for my Sennheiser 800s. Parametric EQ is about correcting sonic deficiencies. I try not to buy headphones that have sonic problems but I also have less cans than many people on here. Basically I prefer listening to my sources all the way to the end (speakers, cans) without tone settings, loudness, or EQ. Could be my reaction to the graphic EQ bass wars of the 1970s :wink:

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #2,445 of 6,020
Here you go. This is great starting point... Scroll down the page to your IEM. I usually just use the first 5 settings in the Parametric section with the RME.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results
Wow EQ'd my Layla's on the RME using the 2 o'clock setting from that site and its unbelievable the difference. I was perfectly happy with them before but it was like a huge veil was lifted, the mids were brought forward and going back to the straight flat setting i had it on all this time sounds so muffled now. Thanks for that link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back