RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Apr 7, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #5,986 of 5,997
Matthias at RME says the NT-RME-11 is the 40 watt power supply included with the ADI-2/4 Pro SE. It has an IEC connector / 3 prong mains plug. I have both the ADI-2 DAC FS and the ADI-2/4 Pro SE. The power supplies are indeed different.

With the DAC FS, I did have some hum related to the RCA when the RME unit was OFF, connected to the amp via XLR, and the amp ON (to keep amp warm). I haven't tried the NT-RME-11 power supply to see whether it resolved that scenario. I was able to immediately make the hum go away plugging shorting plugs in, but didn't like that either.

If I had an ADI-2 DAC FS and wanted a better, regular power supply, I would just buy the NT-RME-11. I guess I should play with the ADI-2 DAC FS with the NT-RME-11 power supply to see whether it makes that RCA hum issue go away. Even with that 1-off issue... it didn't make me like the DAC FS any less. In fact, I liked it so much that I bought the ADI-2/4. I wanted analog in and every bell and whistle. I love it.

https://www.rme-usa.com/power-supplies.html

If I wanted to do something special with power supply, I might not even buy the NT-RME-11. Matthias has posted ideas for how to run the unit off of a battery pack - and I may or may not play with that. I listen so much that I'd have to figure out run time / charging, etc. I'd rather spend money on something very different like a battery power supply than a bigger, linear power supply, transformer, etc.

IMG_8844.jpeg
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I read something that suggested the Pro and FS power supplies were different, in what way?

Someone earlier in the thread suggested the TalentCell Power Bank, LiFePO4 rechargeable battery which would be a useful thing to have anyway so it might be worth trying that, and it's much cheaper too.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #5,987 of 5,997
I have both the ADI-2 DAC FS and the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.
Additional question: Does the Pro version sound different to the DAC FS and would it take a Moving Coil input (100uV)? I have wondered about replacing my DAC FS and Waxwing with a single unit.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #5,988 of 5,997
Can any of you provide me with the installer of version "1.3 release" of ADI2Remote dated 09/25/2023 for Windows? I updated to version 2.1 by overwriting the previous file (1.3) but I don't like the new release and would like to go back to the previous one

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #5,990 of 5,997
Maybe I should read up on the remote. I haven’t done any updates to my ADI2 in quite a long time.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #5,992 of 5,997
Additional question: Does the Pro version sound different to the DAC FS and would it take a Moving Coil input (100uV)? I have wondered about replacing my DAC FS and Waxwing with a single unit.
I don't know the answer to the second question but they sound exactly the same. I upgraded from the ADI-2 DAC FS to the pro for the extra outputs and better headphone amp.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #5,993 of 5,997
I don't know the answer to the second question but they sound exactly the same. I upgraded from the ADI-2 DAC FS to the pro for the extra outputs and better headphone amp.
Thanks, that's useful to know.

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #5,995 of 5,997
Apr 29, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #5,996 of 5,997
That PSU costs more than I paid for my ADI-2 DAC FS. Not sure how it would make sense to add a PSU and filter that is that expensive to a moderately priced DAC. Buying all the extras and an ADI-2 DAC FS puts the DAC into a different category price wise and you suddenly have a lot of new competitors. Not so sure I would take an RME ADI-2 DAC FS with a state of the art PSU over the competition at €2500. A linear at €400 would be fine and they probably would have gotten quite a few orders, but I doubt they will sell many if the price is actually $1299.

The stock PSU (NT-RME-2) has issues and going to a linear was a solid upgrade over that, but the newer PSUs that are grounded is fairly close to my linear. For most it makes much more sense to get the NT-RME-11 or NT-RME-12 PSUs at a fraction of the price of their linear and call it a day. The NT-RME-11 does come with some of the DACs, but afaik they still supply the NT-RME-2 with the DAC FS.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #5,997 of 5,997
$1299... and they said their RMEs didn't need a linear power supply. I guess this is solely to appeal to audiophiles.
Wow, that's a lot of money. I'm getting great results using a FiiO PL50 with the ADI-2 DAC. It sounds less fatiguing and has lost the tendency to a metallic sheen and slight harshness in the upper mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back