Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 15, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #6,556 of 9,388
Hey everyone! OPA-Earth and Sun are back in stock and some more good news from Kingwa:

Quote:

Yes, we have in stock, and we have new OPA-Moon at later 2-5 days,
and We have SUN new version,
postage to USA price is USD23 by DHL.
In September, we offer accelerate price is buy 2 EARTH or SUN, free 1 Moon.
Kingwa

This is too tempting
frown.gif
However I have an LD I+ on the way and don't want to overdo the "tube sound" thing! I'm also tempted to try this new Sun, perhaps they've fixed the "smiley-face EQ" problems associated with it, but my Denons are smiley-face EQ'd enough as it is
smily_headphones1.gif

It might just be OPA-Earth for me
frown.gif
Although I would've loved to be the first to report on the OPA-Moon.

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #6,558 of 9,388
Hi guys, a Question,'

IF Zero is used as the only source with No dedicated amp.

How good is it?

I will be using for my HD555 and later upgrade to HD600 mostly.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #6,559 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, a Question,'

IF Zero is used as the only source with No dedicated amp.

How good is it?

I will be using for my HD555 and later upgrade to HD600 mostly.

Zero has an internal amp, a pretty good one at that.

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #6,560 of 9,388
whats a good tube amp to pair with the Zero? looking for a dedicated amp..

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #6,561 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats a good tube amp to pair with the Zero? looking for a dedicated amp..

Absolutely love my Little Dot MKIII and I know there's at least a few others here (Pench and Peete included) who also love their little dots. Certainly a good place to start looking. Also heard good things about darkvoice but never heard one myself...

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #6,562 of 9,388
yea i heard the Darkvoice 336i pairs well with k701s.. which is what I have. suppose I couldn't go wrong with either

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #6,563 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaddix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long is the DAC in the zero going to last me? As in like, how much better does my amp and headphones have to be before the zero is the limiting factor?

I'm using it(quite modified, I should add) with my Stax SRS-4040II rig, if that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

I dare say spending more on a DAC would give a better sound, but it's certainly far from being bad, or in dire need of replacement.

Wait for the kits to come out from Prickley Peete and Penchum. At that point I reckon you'll need to bank on spending over $1000 to find any appreciable difference in sound quality. Zero DAC and OPA-Earth is about as good as you'll get without spending considerably more.

~Phewl.

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #6,564 of 9,388
has anyone tried an OPA-earth or sun in the little dot hybrid???

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #6,565 of 9,388
been digging through this thread to find out about the cap mod and I need some help..

according to this photo by pete.. I think it shows pin 4 and 8 connected..
SuperCapPakHDAM014.jpg

what then is this diagram about?
7867d1220759211-review-zero-24-bit-192khz-dac-headphone-amp-pre-amp-opa-diag.jpg

seems to show them instead connected to ground.

Which one provides better SQ? Also excuse my noobness..... but are these the correct caps?

Sep 15, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #6,566 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also excuse my noobness..... but are these the correct caps?

Don't blast me with bazookas now, but why are you putting so special capacitors in the POWER path? This quality capacitor is for SIGNAL path. Even audio-gd (the company that MAKES Sun and Earth uses usual Polypropylene capacitors on the new models, that are more than enough for power path). This seems a lot like snake-oiling, it just does not make any sense using audio quality capcitors in power chain. Of course I could be wrong but has anyone blind tested usual high quality Polypropylene vs russian military paper in oil capacitors in the POWER path and claim to hear the difference?

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #6,567 of 9,388
Sorry but I have to ask, I tried reading through 675 pages but it was too much. I'm about to order opa-earth and I have no idea how many I need and what "Extension lead of the OPA" is. I'm only using the zero as a DAC at the moment.

Also, would I need anything beyond a screw driver to install opamps?

Another question is if upgrading the h/amp is worth it since I'm feeding it to a ibasso d2 viper. They are both stock, and I was wondering if a rolled opamp viper or a rolled zero would end up sounding better. I mainly use my ATH-AD2000 and DT770/80s. I'm planning to sell my viper if it is inferior to an upgraded zero since I have no need for portability anymore but would like to keep it if an upgraded viper indeed sounds better. Thanks in advance.

Oh its my first time rolling opamps, sorry for my super noobiness.

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #6,568 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't blast me with bazookas now, but why are you putting so special capacitors in the POWER path? This quality capacitor is for SIGNAL path. Even audio-gd (the company that MAKES Sun and Earth uses usual Polypropylene capacitors on the new models, that are more than enough for power path). This seems a lot like snake-oiling, it just does not make any sense using audio quality capcitors in power chain. Of course I could be wrong but has anyone blind tested usual high quality Polypropylene vs russian military paper in oil capacitors in the POWER path and claim to hear the difference?

No bazookas!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you look back over the last 100 pages or so, all of this was a debated topic and the answers are there. The short answer is "Yes", they do make a difference and "Yes", the Russian PIO's are that good.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, the point of using the Russian PIO's was to obtain the quality without the high price, so that the cost of the mods would match the Zero's "bang for the buck" scenario.
smily_headphones1.gif
The pic you see re-posted is an experiment being conducted by PP. The actual "proven" mod for the HDAM calls for one cap only.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #6,569 of 9,388
For anyone on the fence, go for it.
They are wonderul DACs, I was so happy with my purchase, that I bought another shortly after...

If anyone is looking for a Mint, barely used Zero DAC let me know.
I also have a 627au/ adaptor Op-Amp which was purchased from Lawrence for sale.
Have had it for less than a month.
I know it is my first post but you can check my feedback and date of purchase on Ebay, titaniumtaco.

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #6,570 of 9,388
I ordered mine from wcz3040 ( I think that's his name) and iasked him to test it before it ships but he shipped it already. anyone buy from him and get a good unit? I hope the stock unit or a quick op amp switch will improve the sound of my sb3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back