Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 15, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #6,571 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered mine from wcz3040 ( I think that's his name) and iasked him to test it before it ships but he shipped it already. anyone buy from him and get a good unit? I hope the stock unit or a quick op amp switch will improve the sound of my sb3.

I got a perfect one from him.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #6,575 of 9,388
It's a much much better amp than the Zero amp, but that's because it mates with the MS-1 so well. By no means the built-in amp is bad, it's definitely on par, if not better, than portable amps in the same price range such as the Go-Vibe Petite and iBasso Boa.

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #6,577 of 9,388
The Zero's built-in amp is sufficient, but not great. What this means is, if you're new-ish to head-fi and the Zero is your first DAC/amp for use with, say, your computer and you've got some half-decent cans that are mid-range in the manufacturer's line, the Zero will fairly blow you away. If you've been around this all a while and you have higher-end cans, you'll want a dedicated amp for the Zero to feed.

If you're considering an amp, pick one that goes with your favourite cans rather than asking if it'll suit the Zero. That, IMO, is more important when choosing an amp.

Another thought - if you've shelled out a fair bit on IEMs and want to use them at home with your computer, the Zero does a lot of good to my Etys and UEs.

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #6,578 of 9,388
I have the Zero with Earth and now I just need a dedicated amp for it. Just saving up some extra money so I can get an excellent amp. I just bought the parts for the Millet Hybrid so I can learn how to build an amp. I was thinking about getting the Darkvoice 337 heard lots of good things about it.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #6,579 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're new-ish to head-fi.... Zero is your first DAC/amp for use with, say, your computer...... got some half-decent cans... the Zero will fairly blow you away.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Your item was accepted in HONG KONG on September 13, 2008 at 11:56 AM. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

; _ ;
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #6,580 of 9,388
Hi, I'm thinking about making the zero my first headphone amp and I have sennheiser hd590 and shure e3c.. is this a good pairing? I use the hd590's almost continuously for movies and music with my computer with integrated soundcard.. I do have an optical out I could use

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #6,581 of 9,388
"Hey. I also bought this amp and the zero dac both thanks to Penchum's awesome reviews. I have one tiny problem though, with the zero acting as DAC and pre amp, the mkii is way too sensitive even using the lowest impedance. My headphone is a hd580 (300ohms). I can never go above 10/100 on the dial for my mkii and that is at the lowest gain available (funny thing, it came defaulted to on-on, low gain). Is there anything I can do? Lower the volume in foobar? Set zero to phone mode and lower the volume there? Thanks"

I think my question would be better suited here since the LD does not sound that loud with any other source. I know Zero is also acting as a pre-amp, is that what is driving the volume up so much? Thanks.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #6,582 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by st4r0c3an /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Hey. I also bought this amp and the zero dac both thanks to Penchum's awesome reviews. I have one tiny problem though, with the zero acting as DAC and pre amp, the mkii is way too sensitive even using the lowest impedance. My headphone is a hd580 (300ohms). I can never go above 10/100 on the dial for my mkii and that is at the lowest gain available (funny thing, it came defaulted to on-on, low gain). Is there anything I can do? Lower the volume in foobar? Set zero to phone mode and lower the volume there? Thanks"

I think my question would be better suited here since the LD does not sound that loud with any other source. I know Zero is also acting as a pre-amp, is that what is driving the volume up so much? Thanks.

Have you tried using the Zero without the preamp turned on (DAC only)?

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #6,583 of 9,388
I've read the manual and have no idea how to do that. Do you mean put the Zero into phone mode and use the volume knob to lower the volume?

Edit: Thought that would put the amp into amp mode and I would be double amping it with both the mkii and zero.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #6,584 of 9,388
As a line-level preamp your Zero should not be "amplifying" the signal, just passing it on to the amp. Make sure the green LED is NOT on, and if it's still too loud then turn the volume knob all the way down.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #6,585 of 9,388
The green LED is off and the volume knob is already at zero. Could this be the fault of my usb sound card? It is outputting the music though the optical port on the back.

One more thing, is using replay-gain bad? It usually lowers most of my music by 7-10 db.

Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back