Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 16, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #6,601 of 9,388
What has been of great interest to me - and much joy, I have to add - is how fantastic the Zero with it's own amp sounds through the Senn 650s coming from my G4 iBook, now that everything is well run in.
biggrin.gif
I linked it up again last night and was simply stunned at how pure the sound is! The Zero's amp sounds really very different with the signal coming via the iBook than it does from the Yamaha CDX 1110s digital out via MIT coax. Even though I have found that the MIT coax is quite superior to the optical cable that came with the Zero, and despite the fact that there is a pretty standard USB cable running from the outlet to the USB to optical converter, the Zero's amp sounds like a completely different beast. How awesomely clean does it sound now! Yet from the the Yam, KHA sounds fabulous, open, fast, 3D, while the Zero's amp sounds a little closed, over warm and lacking detail in the bass, more 2D though pleasant enough on some music - good yet missing something. From the iBook ... holy moly! What a transformation,
biggrin.gif
There is less deep bass impact and sheer weight, yet the clarity is sublime on bass guitar, bowed bass, strings of all sorts and the percussion ... !! Wow. Vocals are simply lovely, even while I can hear the slight furriness from the optical cable that completely disappears with the MIT AVt 2 coax - fabulous cable BTW, a little expensive, yet so worth it. However, I am unable to use it from the iBook, so I'll stick with the optical via the USB cable plus adapter for now.
Is there a USB to coax adapter, anyone know?
For me now, the Zero has gone way up in my inestimable glory
smily_headphones1.gif
, value for money has skyrocketed
biggrin.gif
MY sincere condolences to those who are having problems, hang in there, you just might find it was worth the wait and the hassles.
smile_phones.gif

BTW, the LT1364s have now gone way up in the honours list too, they might not be OPA Earth but they sure are fine little critters!
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #6,602 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone want to respond as to how the stock dac sounds like in a speaker system? the first review only mentions the sound through headphones and since there are different parts in the signal it might sound different.

Well I can't tell you what the stock one is like but the modified Zero sounds great through my system (and it's no average setup).

I don't think you'll get many other opinions since most use this for head fi/computer setups. I only tried mine last week in the main rig (out of curiosity) and was pleasantly surprised that it hung with both my ref CDP and the current SuperDAC project I'm working on. The HDAM in the dac section really wakes the Zero up. If there is an essential upgrade for the Zero the HDAM is it.

Peete.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #6,603 of 9,388
Sep 17, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #6,604 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I can't tell you what the stock one is like but the modified Zero sounds great through my system (and it's no average setup).

I don't think you'll get many other opinions since most use this for head fi/computer setups. I only tried mine last week in the main rig (out of curiosity) and was pleasantly surprised that it hung with both my ref CDP and the current SuperDAC project I'm working on. The HDAM in the dac section really wakes the Zero up. If there is an essential upgrade for the Zero the HDAM is it.

Peete.

Hi PP, hope you're feeling a lot better mate. Yes, interesting, I always bought the Zero for my main system and the Corda 2Move for the puta.
I couldn't agree more on the HDAM in the Zero, it's in it's rightful home there. I have at last connected KHA up to the Zero this morning, signals coming from the puta and it sounds just wonderful. Both do. KHA is just more 3D and less 'white', if you know what I mean. In the bass, it's just a bit more timid than KHA - which is sounding just fantastic on TUSK at the moment!
biggrin.gif
The 2D aspect of the Zero's amp seems to be just what I get with that circuit, it's simple though works really well. I could live with it quite happily if needed.
One thing I have noticed on the HOT op-amps thing, the LT1364s run much cooler when they are actually being used, but very warm .... ok, HOT ... when not having any current draw on them.
The more I listen to the Zero with Earth installed, the more wonderful I realise it is.
smile_phones.gif

PS, I just bet that the Zero sounds terrific in your main system, PP!

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #6,605 of 9,388
Hey guys,

My LT1364CS8's showed up today ... but they're tiny! Like 1/4 the size of the opamps currently in there. Did I order the wrong thing??

Full chip inscription is:
LT702

and it's about the size of the nail on my pinky finger.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #6,606 of 9,388
Sep 17, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #6,607 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi PP, hope you're feeling a lot better mate. Yes, interesting, I always bought the Zero for my main system and the Corda 2Move for the puta.
I couldn't agree more on the HDAM in the Zero, it's in it's rightful home there. I have at last connected KHA up to the Zero this morning, signals coming from the puta and it sounds just wonderful. Both do. KHA is just more 3D and less 'white', if you know what I mean. In the bass, it's just a bit more timid than KHA - which is sounding just fantastic on TUSK at the moment!
biggrin.gif
The 2D aspect of the Zero's amp seems to be just what I get with that circuit, it's simple though works really well. I could live with it quite happily if needed.
One thing I have noticed on the HOT op-amps thing, the LT1364s run much cooler when they are actually being used, but very warm .... ok, HOT ... when not having any current draw on them.
The more I listen to the Zero with Earth installed, the more wonderful I realise it is.
smile_phones.gif

PS, I just bet that the Zero sounds terrific in your main system, PP!

Hi S-Man.

Yeah I'm feeling a bit better, still sweating bullets a little, damn fever is still with me......now the whole house is down with the flu (Wife, kid....sigh), figures. I'm suffering a different ailment...lucky me
biggrin.gif

The remnants of Hurricane IKE came blasting through here Sun night...thought the trees were all going to snap in half, none did. Pretty wild downpour of rain in a short period of time (4 inches I think).

I didn't care though...had the cans on cranking some Montrose and a little T-Rex
biggrin.gif
Retro night
smily_headphones1.gif

The FrankenZero surprised me with it abilities in the main rig. I may have to buy another Zero to modify if the SuperDAC doesn't displace Frank......(after the Super's been modified of course). Wouldn't that be something
smily_headphones1.gif

Your in for another treat when those 650's finally break in S-Man....oh yeah
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #6,608 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fugimax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

My LT1364CS8's showed up today ... but they're tiny! Like 1/4 the size of the opamps currently in there. Did I order the wrong thing??

Full chip inscription is:
LT702

and it's about the size of the nail on my pinky finger.

Fujimax, they should be the LT1364CN8 models and be exactly the same size as the 5534s that are in the amp as standard. They are drop in replacements, you may have the surface mount ones, that need soldering in. Oops.
redface.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #6,609 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a work in progress, but here is:

Great Job CW !!!!!

A very handy run down of all the current options, configs, and uses of the Zero.

A big thumbs up
beerchug.gif
Kompei !!!! (probably spelled that wrong)

Peete.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #6,610 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fujimax, they should be the LT1364CN8 models and be exactly the same size as the 5534s that are in the amp as standard. They are drop in replacements, you may have the surface mount ones, that need soldering in. Oops.
redface.gif

Doh ... someone earlier in this thread said that the CS8's were the ones to order.
frown.gif

I'll just buy the CN8's from digikey then.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #6,611 of 9,388
Quote:

Hi S-Man.

Yeah I'm feeling a bit better, still sweating bullets a little, damn fever is still with me......now the whole house is down with the flu (Wife, kid....sigh), figures. I'm suffering a different ailment...lucky me
biggrin.gif

The remnants of Hurricane IKE came blasting through here Sun night...thought the trees were all going to snap in half, none did. Pretty wild downpour of rain in a short period of time (4 inches I think).

I didn't care though...had the cans on cranking some Montrose and a little T-Rex
biggrin.gif
Retro night
smily_headphones1.gif

The FrankenZero surprised me with it abilities in the main rig. I may have to buy another Zero to modify if the SuperDAC doesn't displace Frank......(after the Super's been modified of course). Wouldn't that be something
smily_headphones1.gif

Your in for another treat when those 650's finally break in S-Man....oh yeah
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Oh they are singing like canaries now and the S-Man cometh.
icon10.gif
Don't mind at all if they blossom. Besides, there is FrankenZero to come, right? Oh mama ....
popcorn.gif

I have discovered that the hiss I was hearing only in the right channel (at half to full vol) is actually coming from the dig out of the Yam CDP, no sign of it via the puta, almost grave-like. Hmmm, looks like sumpin needs some attention.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #6,612 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a work in progress, but here is:

thanks a lot for that, very nice, I understand so much more now, so I was wondering, does Lawrence sell this as far as you can go without soldering zero as a whole, or will I have to buy the upgraded version from Lawrence and then buy the HDAM parts?

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #6,613 of 9,388
Yeah my Frank is quieter than a grave in either setup of mine so something may be out of spec in the Yamaha (where though is anyone's guess).

Fugimax.....make sure you order DIP package, not SMD. I'll double check the part number for you....I've ordered LT1364's before from Digi-Key....now to find those invoice sheets...(I have a half dozen of them..
frown.gif
).
Here we are........ LT1364CN8 as S-Man says. Digi-key should have a link on the page to show pin package for absolute proof.

At 6.88 US a pop that's a fairly cheap mistake at least ...

You could get some adapters in the future and make use of the smd chips for another project ? Maybe your CDP uses NE5532's ...you never know
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #6,614 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nike T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks a lot for that, very nice, I understand so much more now, so I was wondering, does Lawrence sell this as far as you can go without soldering zero as a whole, or will I have to buy the upgraded version from Lawrence and then buy the HDAM parts?

Lawrence can sell you everything but his HDAM is a lot more money (even though it's made by audio-gd). So you might as well get the HDAM from audio-gd, if you plan on going that route. If you don't want to deal with more than one person LC can provide it all (HDAM + LT1364's, ALPs pot etc).

Uh...I'm really starting to feel lousy again...so I'm done for tonight...

Peete.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #6,615 of 9,388
Quote:

Yeah my Frank is quieter than a grave in either setup so something may be out of spec in the Yamaha (where though is anyone's guess).

Fugimax.....make sure you order DIP package, not SMD. I'll double check the part number for you....I've ordered LT1364's before from Digi-Key....now to find those invoice sheets...(I have a half dozen of them..
frown.gif
).
Here we are........ LT1364CN8 as S-Man says. Digi-key should have a link on the page to show pin package for absolute proof.

At 6.88 US a pop that's a fairly cheap mistake at least ...

You could get some adapters in the future and make use of the smd chips for another project ? Maybe your CDP uses NE5532's ...you never know
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Mmm, I suspect a cap or two somewhere, as there is a slight HF warble with the RC hiss, but you gotta have plenty of vol to hear it. I'll get around to it.
smily_headphones1.gif
So much music to enjoy in the meantime!
smily_headphones1.gif

Be great if there was an HDAM that could replace the 5534S/5532S op-amps, which have all pins in a line. I s'pose I could slot in the appropriate socket and attach the cable from an HDAM, though I really like the drop-in approach. So many of the Japanese amps and CDPs used the in-line op-amps, like the 5534S. Then I could upgrade the pre-amp in the Yamaha AX 900 as well. Now wouldn't that be something, methinks! It's already a very clean and neutral pre-amp, huge stage width but lacking in some depth, which the HDAMs have. Mmm ....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back