Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 17, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #6,616 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered mine from wcz3040 ( I think that's his name) and iasked him to test it before it ships but he shipped it already. anyone buy from him and get a good unit? I hope the stock unit or a quick op amp switch will improve the sound of my sb3.

I ordered mine from him (wsz0304) and my DAC has a blown channel. Worked fine at first, but during the burn in it went on me. Working with the seller now to get a replacement though.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #6,618 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've lost track already ---

when in preamp mode, are the 2 x LT1364's used or not? I think they are only used WHEN phones are plugged in.

Is this correct or not? thanks

Yes, that's correct. They are still ON when the pre-amp is used to another amp, just not in use until phones are plugged in to the Zero's amp.
smile_phones.gif

Remember, the pre-amp has a three way action. When the green pre light is on, you can have phones in the Zero OR phones connected to another amp, using the Zero's vol control. The third way is with the pre light off, in which case the DAC is direct out to another pre-amp and in this mode you can just leave phones plugged into the Zero while using the DAC out. Make sense?

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #6,619 of 9,388
When the Green Light is on it means that the opamp in the headphone board is in use.

If no headphones is connected, the Zero functions as a source and pre-amp.

If headphones connected, the Zero as DAC and headphone amp.

If no green light, the Zero as DAC only.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #6,620 of 9,388
Greetings fellow Zero DAC'ers! I'm one of those who read Penchum's rave review on this wonder box and plonked my money on a unit immediately. It was money well spent because right off the bat, the Zero brought out details, better separation and sound stage. It's taking a long time to burn in though, due to my busy schedule and a baby turned toddler isn't helping either.
I have to thank Penchum for sharing about this silver gem that has literally brought music to our ears for little moolahs! Reading through this thread has taken many late nights but all the tips and sharing is well worth it.
I'm still on stock now. I've got the 627 (before the Zero landed) which I'm unsure if I'm even gonna use since my Earth and Sun has arrived and I'm already filling up a nice list of upgrades ala Pench, PP, AP and others. Nice work guys!
beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #6,622 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone want to respond as to how the stock dac sounds like in a speaker system? the first review only mentions the sound through headphones and since there are different parts in the signal it might sound different.

It pretty much depends on your source. I've got it hooked up to my entry level DVD player and through my Audiolab 8000A, i can immediately hear a difference. It was like a veil was removed and everything sounded more detailed with better separation and sound stage! I didn't realise my DVD was that bad musically till the Zero came in. And I'm still running on stock for now so it's a mighty upgrade for not much money, IMO. I wish I can borrow a dedicated CDP to do an AB comparison but haven't got the time for now. I do know someone who took a Zero with the AP627 upgrade to test on the Marantz CD6002 and there was enough improvement for him to upgrade from his 5001.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #6,623 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenZen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings fellow Zero DAC'ers! I'm one of those who read Penchum's rave review on this wonder box and plonked my money on a unit immediately. It was money well spent because right off the bat, the Zero brought out details, better separation and sound stage. It's taking a long time to burn in though, due to my busy schedule and a baby turned toddler isn't helping either.
I have to thank Penchum for sharing about this silver gem that has literally brought music to our ears for little moolahs! Reading through this thread has taken many late nights but all the tips and sharing is well worth it.
I'm still on stock now. I've got the 627 (before the Zero landed) which I'm unsure if I'm even gonna use since my Earth and Sun has arrived and I'm already filling up a nice list of upgrades ala Pench, PP, AP and others. Nice work guys!
beerchug.gif

Hey, good onya, KenZen, the Zero certainly is a corker! I am listening to Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis right at this moment through the Zero DAC and out to my 'Earthed' KHA amp with fairly new 650s and it sounds just soooo good. Mind you, the Zero's amp is pretty damn good with the LT1364s in it too.
Ditto on the thanks to the guys, they've brought a lot of joy to my life too.
smily_headphones1.gif
I actually rather enjoyed the stock DAC, sweet. The Earth turns it into something else again! Zero owners club is swell-ing
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #6,624 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SUN and EARTH both sound very bad. Try them for a week, then go back to a great, very musical opamp, like the LT1122. You will hear what I mean...

Although there are times when two bad things make a good thing...

The nuisence now pistolette is back , it will be deleted soon and we can enjoy this forum again ..
L3000.gif
Yesterday it said the OPA-SUN sounded great ...

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #6,626 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBuLLeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to hear Zen what kind of headphones do you use with the Zero or are you using just a speaker system?

I have an old set of low end Senn 380 but have been listening to the Zero via speakers so far. I've been meaning to get a new set after buying the Zero and this forum is a really dangerous place... pocket wise... so I'm taking it one step at a time, enjoying my stock Zero for now. I must say that even on stock, it is so much more revealing. So much so that I can't stand listening to bad recordings because they're that obvious. Bad for pocket again.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #6,627 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PP -
so using it as a pre-amp (green light on, no phones), I do not get the benefit of the HDAM on the headamp section then?

Actually, you would becoz the output signal still passes through the headamp HDAM. The difference is whether you use the phones output or RCA output. Both will be controlled by the volume.

I've made a comparison between direct and pre-amp by setting the volume as close as possible and switch between the two. Direct is that bit more detailed. I'm sure the LT1364 would narrow the difference but I don't have any to try that out, yet.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #6,628 of 9,388
what kind of speakers are you using and what kind of amp ken?

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #6,630 of 9,388
Hi PP, I just got today my 4 HDAMs........
I'm going to put Earth on DAC section...
What about the mod to solve the power issue with the other 2 modules on the amp section ? Any news ?

I just took the 22uf caps from rca output and phone amp.... there's a increase on high clarity frequency by doing that... nice!

Diego.........

............................................ some minutes later.....
Well I just plugged earth and can say.... it's much better then 627 right out of the box.....
When I tested lm4562, differences to 627 were small, more on soundstage then other thing....
But difference between earth and 627 is bigger then only soundstage......
Instruments sounds more real..... bass goes a little lower.......

here the question, do I need to plug the earth from Earth.... LoL...

Diego (again)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back