Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 9, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #6,316 of 9,388
Pot has 6 connectors - 2x audio in, 2x audio out, 2x tie to ground for the audio signal.

The housing itself is not earthed, so it's not effectively shielded. Human contact can create audible noises, though they are likely to disappear when the pot is no longer touched.

The plastic knob will go a long way toward insulating from human touch
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #6,317 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doh S-Man beat me to it
smily_headphones1.gif

Good on ya S-Man !!!!

Peete.

Heh heh, just happened to have the camera nearby. BTW, someone has added a top quality subwoofer to my headphones and what sounds a lot like an excellent tube amp as well. Don't understand what the problem could be ........ ??? And my cans and bones of my head seem to disappear when I listen to music ........ you don't know what might have happened do you, PP ...?
Oh, and I have an incontrollable drooling and a strange grin on my face ..............
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #6,318 of 9,388
Ok guys, time for a little fun, this network is going to be used where ?.....I call it the Super Cap Pak...it's an idea I have been kicking around for a while in my puny brain and now have the chance to assemble and install. There are 2 cap paks like this.....hints in 30 minutes
smily_headphones1.gif

SuperCapPak012.jpg

This is fun stuff......I'm such a NARD (dumb nerd)
biggrin.gif

S-Man I'd say either a bat bit you in the nads...or the HDAM is almost done cooking
smily_headphones1.gif
The MKP's should be opening up a bit in a few days, hold on to your film & foil hat...fun fun fun
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #6,319 of 9,388
UPDATE from wploridian!

Got a new pair of OPA637s that sound wonderfully!! They replaced the OPA627 module that came with the Zero....

Setup as of now 2X637s DAC/ LT1364 for the headamp...but I also play straight from the DAC to the Grado headphone amp....VERY NICE!!

In the future; I will wait for the DIY update you guys have been working on and or get the HDAM's (SUN?EARTH?MOON???) ...pending recommendations from you guys..

Great thread people!! ..to believe I was about to get a Benchmark DAC or a Cambridge 840C...the Zero is all I need!!! I am tempted to take it to Sound Advice and have some fun with the reps over there!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #6,320 of 9,388
Quote:

Ok guys, time for a little fun, this network is going to be used where ?.....I call it the Super Cap Pak...it's an idea I have been kicking around for a while in my puny brain and now have the chance to assemble and install. There are 2 cap paks like this.....hints in 30 minutes
smily_headphones1.gif

SuperCapPak012.jpg

This is fun stuff......I'm such a NARD (dumb nerd)
biggrin.gif

S-Man I'd say either a bat bit you in the nads...or the HDAM is almost done cooking
smily_headphones1.gif
The MKP's should be opening up a bit in a few days, hold on to your film & foil hat...fun fun fun
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Too replace those big monsters under your MKIII? One for each Nad? High fashion male ear rings + nip rings?

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #6,321 of 9,388
Nope Pench......those Teflons ain't going anywhere on the MK III, besides I have 3.3 uf 250V PLIOS (god knows where I'll find the room for them) to replace the WIMAs that are then bypassed by those two depth charges slung underneath the MK III
biggrin.gif

Guess again
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #6,322 of 9,388
S-Man I'd say either a bat bit you in the nads...or the HDAM is almost done cooking The MKP's should be opening up a bit in a few days, hold on to your film & foil hat...fun fun fun

Peete.

Hell, I'm even enjoying stuff I didn't like before! Even early Talk Talk songs! Had an amazing Pixie sesh last night and the Genesis Seconds Out concert, playing Cinema Show ...... man I was there at the end shouting "Keep it going .. keep it going .. keep it going ..!!!" along with the rest of the huge crowd. Damn was it like being there!
It must have been one of those Pixies wot put a sub in my headphones!

Now let's see .... I would put those caps across the main supply electrolytics .... do they actually fit in the case, dude?
biggrin.gif

PS Guess what little package has arrived for me today? Starts with an S ..... man.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #6,323 of 9,388
Quote:

Nope Pench......those Teflons ain't going anywhere on the MK III, besides I have 3.3 uf 250V PLIOS (god knows where I'll find the room for them) to replace the WIMAs that are then bypassed by those two depth charges slung underneath the MK III
biggrin.gif

Guess again
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Well, I guess that means they aren't for the nad/nip decoration either...
biggrin.gif

How about the "sun" modules??
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #6,324 of 9,388
Whoa, almost Pench......hot ...very very hot....

S-Man......uhhhh a Summons ?
biggrin.gif
The 650's !!!!! I wish they did fit in the case...but no such luck...at least not in the space provided in the SuperDac's cramped chassis. I suppose I could sling em on top of the 3900uf Rubycons...not sure of how to keep them in place and get the lid back on....need to look at all options.
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #6,325 of 9,388
Quote:

S-Man......uhhhh a Summons ?
biggrin.gif
The 650's !!!!!

Peete.

WOOHOO! 650s are (almost) in the house! Just gotta go get them from the courier office as I was out when she came by.
biggrin.gif
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

I think this calls for a 'Hot diggity dog!"

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #6,326 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOOHOO! 650s are (almost) in the house! Just gotta go get them from the courier office as I was out when she came by.
biggrin.gif
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

I think this calls for a 'Hot diggity dog!"

Hot diggity dog indeed! Go get those beauties!
smily_headphones1.gif
Your whole week has just been made!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #6,327 of 9,388
Quote:

snip

Peete.

Well, must be the "earth" with both cap mods at the same time then? Jezz, I'm really guessing now!
beerchug.gif

Or is this some kind of "bypass" the headphone amp Opamps weirdness?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #6,328 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hot diggity dog indeed! Go get those beauties!
smily_headphones1.gif
Your whole week has just been made!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Pench, it sure has. The HDAMs are singing like nothing I've ever heard before in my own systems, the 540s sound like a completely different model and I'm enjoying the communication of music in a whole new way.
Isn't it amazing how once electronics get to that 50 hour mark they literally transform into a butterfly so fast? It really is quite an extraordinary thing! And then the wings just spread from there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #6,329 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Pench, it sure has. The HDAMs are singing like nothing I've ever heard before in my own systems, the 540s sound like a completely different model and I'm enjoying the communication of music in a whole new way.
Isn't it amazing how once electronics get to that 50 hour mark they literally transform into a butterfly so fast? It really is quite an extraordinary thing! And then the wings just spread from there.
smily_headphones1.gif

It sure is! The other great thing is how your new HD-650's will mature. They sound pretty good "out of the box", but become so much more refined, after about 250 - 300 hours. I just got done maturing brand new drivers for my HD-650's and I can tell you for sure, the newer drivers sound way better than the old ones (a couple of years old). I am Super pleased with the end results, and highly recommend new driver replacement for HD-650 owners who have concerns that their original drivers may be too worn or damaged somehow.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #6,330 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, must be the "earth" with both cap mods at the same time then? Jezz, I'm really guessing now!
beerchug.gif

Or is this some kind of "bypass" the headphone amp Opamps weirdness?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope instead of the single 1uf cap on each HDAM...it'll be 1 cap pak on each HDAM. The total uf value is up by 25% over the single 1uf cap so I might have to turf one of the .22 uf caps...I'll try it as is though, the power supply in the SuperDAC is stout so I doubt there will be any complaints from it when it sees all these caps saying fill me up damn it
biggrin.gif

S-Man....you have the cans or you are on the way to get them ? If the latter ...run don't walk...
smily_headphones1.gif
You won't get any sleep tonight...your in for a eargasmic experience....change the underpants or better yet go commando
biggrin.gif

Peete.

PS I'm not endorsing this looney idea of mine (the cap pak) it's just an experiment...it'll need at least 300 hours of time or more before a I can say whether or not it's a waste of caps or it's merely awesome...
biggrin.gif
In all honesty I don't know what to expect....kinda the same boat I was in when I first tried the 1 uf cap tweak a few months back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back