Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 9, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #6,286 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by gavszero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ccschua Kingwa told me to get back to him in October for the OPA-Moon on it's progress .. Said it 's more Valve like so would be interesting what it'll sound like . I myself prefer the OPA-Earth in the DAC at the moment to the Sun now after listening at lenght ... I'm currently trying out his Buffer 3 which has improved SQ out of the Analog output , it's not subtle either .

Gavin ..

But the headphone section of the zero is so good to be convenient try all this opa?
Between sun earth moon ect we could buy a little dot new...infact if there had been the promotion at 99% I would not buy them, I will buy a new amp directly...that is my opinion.
smile.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #6,287 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've often wondered about the HD-595 for computer usage and regular old headphone listening. Would either of you guys recommend them for this, or would I be better off getting another pair of HD-580's?

I can't say anything since they were my first pair of headphones. I got them based on recommendations that they sound good without an amp and they scale up a bit with an amp.(I was thinking no amp for now and get a portable amp later + modding my x-fi) And the price on them is right.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have the 50 ohm version. I'm still in the process of reading infinite websites/wikipedia to learn how how the power running to phones changes the audio.(as in voltage differences etc)

But as I said I have no frame of reference. I have listened to headphones in some stores, but I am wary about demoing stuff inside a retail store since they *are* trying to sell stuff. I am looking to attend a head-fi meet.

I want to get a pair of K701s sometime also, people seem to like those. And why isn't my avatar working
angry_face.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #6,288 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the headphone section of the zero is so good to be convenient try all this opa?
Between sun earth moon ect we could buy a little dot new...infact if there had been the promotion at 99% I would not buy them, I will buy a new amp directly...that is my opinion.
smile.gif

That's a very good point too, especially for the "budget" minded audiophile. I would imagine a Zero, with OPA "earth" in the DAC and LT1364's in the headphone amp, driving one of those new LD 1+ hybrids, would be a fun combination!
smily_headphones1.gif
You could choose which you wanted to listen too, SS or Hybrid at any given time. The Opamp/HDAM swapping and tube rolling in the new LD 1+ gives you another way to customize the sound to your tastes.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope PP gets his LD 1+ soon. I'd love to see a review on it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #6,289 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by gavszero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ccschua Kingwa told me to get back to him in October for the OPA-Moon on it's progress .. Said it 's more Valve like so would be interesting what it'll sound like . I myself prefer the OPA-Earth in the DAC at the moment to the Sun now after listening at lenght ... I'm currently trying out his Buffer 3 which has improved SQ out of the Analog output , it's not subtle either .

Gavin ..

Can u describe with more details about it. One of my fren grab audio-gd buffer too to connect to his amp.

If u info on the Moon is latest, then we have to wait. Moon is a single ended class A (so I guess it is not a folded design as in Earth), a trait known for tubelike sound.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #6,290 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a very good point too, especially for the "budget" minded audiophile. I would imagine a Zero, with OPA "earth" in the DAC and LT1364's in the headphone amp, driving one of those new LD 1+ hybrids, would be a fun combination!
smily_headphones1.gif
You could choose which you wanted to listen too, SS or Hybrid at any given time. The Opamp/HDAM swapping and tube rolling in the new LD 1+ gives you another way to customize the sound to your tastes.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope PP gets his LD 1+ soon. I'd love to see a review on it.
smily_headphones1.gif

But in the new hybrid little dot we can insert also the Sun and Earth?

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #6,291 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi CC,

Should be here sometime this week (Friday) or early next week (depends on customs). That's a pretty good price for a Belden based cable...report any differences please, between it and the stock mains cable...when enough time has passed of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Wait for your item, and pray for your custom.

After about 5 times switching back and forth between Volex (belden with beldfoil shield and drain wire) and stock Zero power cord, I began to tell decisively Volex is more outstanding. All this while I dont believe much in Power cord for source, but it beats me this time.

However the difference is not so obvious, just like the obvious case I slot in the Single Crystall Copper (OCC) power cord to my tube amp. I hear immediate (large) improvement to SQ using that blue snake power cord (OCC)

Perhaps I am begining to pick up the finer details on music separations, transparency and the bass response.

it is patience too.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #6,292 of 9,388
Quote:

But in the new hybrid little dot we can insert also the Sun and Earth?

Not sure about that yet. I hope so.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure we'll hear more news as more people get theirs delivered.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #6,294 of 9,388
Quote:

I contacted Lawrence, and from the various mod, there is an "ALPS vol. pot is $20 included labour" is this mod good and useful?

I would say only if you intend on listening at very low volume (where the default pot is imbalanced). And if you’re not going to use the amp on the Zero, just ditch that mod, you will be controlling the volume from the Little dot (in your case).

I see you are considering the new little dot I+, that may be mistake, the cans you are going to buy are high impedance (300ohm), and the little dot I+ is more geared towards low impedance cans like grados and such. If you are going with the HD650, the MK II/III would be a better option.

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #6,295 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say only if you intend on listening at very low volume (where the default pot is imbalanced). And if you’re not going to use the amp on the Zero, just ditch that mod, you will be controlling the volume from the Little dot (in your case).

Hi, than I would have improvment only at low volume level?
Nothing other improvment on sound?

For quite time I will use the zero amp, also becouse I have 3sun+1earth now, and I would use all 3 of them hoping that the thread's bosses will find a solution to the problem
smile.gif

Quote:

I see you are considering the new little dot I+, that may be mistake, the cans you are going to buy are high impedance (300ohm), and the little dot I+ is more geared towards low impedance cans like grados and such. If you are going with the HD650, the MK II/III would be a better option.

I understand, for now I will go with the zero, and I think I will have a big improvment considering that I had only a 595 with nothing special around...

And is good the optical cable that sell Lawrence?

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #6,297 of 9,388
Quote:

Here there are some mods
ZERODAC

These mods were of some interest some time ago in this thread, and I think part of them (not the lampization, that cut out the opa) will be integrated from our friends. I'm wondering if even the tantalum caps added in parallel to the electrolytes that power up the dac ecc, will be added too, if it will be of some utility.

PS: For the pot I can't say, probably I wouldnt even said if Lawrence had sent it to me, for which I had pay 10usd, but I've never found it inside the box

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #6,298 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emanuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These mods were of some interest some time ago in this thread, and I think part of them (not the lampization, that cut out the opa) will be integrated from our friends. I'm wondering if even the tantalum caps added in parallel to the electrolytes that power up the dac ecc, will be added too, if it will be of some utility.

PS: For the pot I can't say, probably I wouldnt even said if Lawrence had sent it to me, for which I had pay 10usd, but I've never found it inside the box

Rest assured the kit addresses this critical area. All areas that count are covered.

Peete.

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #6,299 of 9,388
Hi, I have had my zero for several months now and have done the HDAM with cap mod. Over the past few days when the unit is on and I touch the volume knob or silver front pannel, I hear buzzing in my headphones. So I decided to take the zero completely apart and then reassemble to see if doing so would fix the porblem. unfortunately the noise was still there. I therefore tried to figure out whether it was the dac or headphone board causing this porblem. so I took out the headphone board (but kept it plugged it) then turned it on and touched the front panel. There was no noise but when I touched the arm to the volume knob the noise sounds. I think this means there is something on the headphone board which is causing the porblem but can't figure out what it is. I have tried checking all the solder points below the board and have tried pressing some of the compnonents down softly but still nothing. I have the ALPS volume pot mod, could this be faulty?

Sep 9, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #6,300 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I have had my zero for several months now and have done the the HDAM with cap mod. Over the past few days when the unit is on and I touch the volume knob or silver front pannel, I hear buzzing in my headphones. So I decided to take the zero completely apart and then reassemble to see if doing so would fix the porblem. unfortunately the noise was still there. I therefore tried to figure out whether it was the dac or headphone board causing this porblem. so I took out the headphone board (but kept it plugged it) then turned it on and touched the front panel. There was no noise but when I touched the arm to the volume knob the noise sounds. I think this means there is something on the headphone board which is causing the porblem but can't figure out what it is. I have tried checking all the solder points below the board and have tried pressing some of the compnonents down softly but still nothing. I have the ALPS volume pot mod, could this be faulty?

Please explain this further,

" There was no noise but when I touched the arm to the volume knob the noise sounds. "

What's the "arm" ? Sorry for asking
smily_headphones1.gif
Has the ground wire to the pot casing come loose somehow as in a cold solder joint ? Re-seat the opamps and make sure the HDAM is all the way in...sometimes if the opamps aren't all the way in it'll cause noise in one channel.

Sounds like a ground issue of some sort...check that side casing pot wire, re melt the solder if necessary. Just guessing at this point.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back