Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 8, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #6,271 of 9,388
Yesterday I poke the multimeter on the AC power cord using Volex to the filter and found something strange. The Volex is connected to british plug using a Chinese made universal adaptor. We follow the british 240V 50hz. I found The live and neutral measurement is 240V but the neutral to earth was riding at 115 Vac. Strange. Later I remove the Chinese made connector and use a local ac cord to connect.

As I was Using the Volex (with US plug), is it true the US plug has the neutral and live in opposite connection than the British plug. I thot they follow IEC so should be the same. Anyway, after remove the plug I got back neutral close to zero. Phew, dangerous isnt it.

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #6,272 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a smile out of these two!
smily_headphones1.gif
Same flavor, different outcomes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Having more than one pair of Senns is a good thing IMHO. I'm using my HD-650's so much now, I worry about wearing them out, so I've started using my HD-600's more, to spread out the "wearing" factor a little.

At the end of the day, I'm very glad to have both. They both have a unique sound that I find very pleasurable. I've often wondered about the HD-595 for computer usage and regular old headphone listening. Would either of you guys recommend them for this, or would I be better off getting another pair of HD-580's?

Simply I need money to get all this stuff right now, and I found a good opportunity to sell the 595...now I'm without Hp only IEM
frown.gif

P.s Sincerly the 595 are very good Hp (really) but they lack a little in the middle-bass range (probably with a amp I would resolve), and becouse the hd 650 seems really good also for the bass-middle frerquencies, I think I will use only new Hp...

P.p.s sorry for english, I'm hurry
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #6,273 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday I poke the multimeter on the AC power cord using Volex to the filter and found something strange. The Volex is connected to british plug using a Chinese made universal adaptor. We follow the british 240V 50hz. I found The live and neutral measurement is 240V but the neutral to earth was riding at 115 Vac. Strange. Later I remove the Chinese made connector and use a local ac cord to connect.

As I was Using the Volex (with US plug), is it true the US plug has the neutral and live in opposite connection than the British plug. I thot they follow IEC so should be the same. Anyway, after remove the plug I got back neutral close to zero. Phew, dangerous isnt it.

I'm a little confused CC,

I thought you were in N.America ? The Chinese adapter is wired wrong ? And yes that is dangerous ...

Peete.

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #6,275 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBuLLeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have asked this question before but does anyone have the Starving Student hybrid amp fed from the Zero? Also which amp is better the Starving student or the built in amp in the Zero.

What's your budget ?

The new Hybrid from LD is supposed to be a good amp for about 100 bucks or so + or - a few bucks......The LD I+. I'm going to get one for the cottage, I can't resist
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #6,277 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennsay and Peete - cheers for your input
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm going to end up opening up my plastic cradle aren't I? I don't know why I bothered gluing it in the first place... no mods are ever really complete are they?
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

No wurries, Phewl,
beerchug.gif
I have been refreshing my own past experience because of this topic and the Jung and Marsh research is top stuff, though it has been added to on occasions by Ben Duncan and others. Basic principals haven't changed though. I did some bypassing work on my KHA last night, with a small stack of .01 uF MKP (polypropylene) caps in a number of critical places. Already small changes in an easy clarity and smoothness and a little purer in the tops, lots of burning in yet though. Now I want to get into the Zero shortly with the PIOs after the OPA EARTH is run in. I'm in no great hurry as the new Senn 650s will also need running in over time, when they get here this week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #6,278 of 9,388
Quote:

Well I bought the parts for this amp before the LD MK I+ so I don't know how good that amp is. Is it a lot better than anything in its price range?

That remains to be seen, the first amps have just been shipped out the past couple of weeks. There is a thread for the amp that I check from time to time.

For 100 bucks it looks like a real kick arse amp...it has loads of drive for low impedance cans.

800 mw @ 32 ohms....or something like that. Front end is tube, back end mosfet..hence hybrid moniker..perfect combo (cottage amp written all over it) for the price IMO. A few mods to it here and there I bet it's quite something afterwards...Can I leave nothing alone (stock) ?
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #6,280 of 9,388
Quote:

Yea that does sound like a nice amp. After I build my starving student amp I will see if I like it. I just got the parts today and going to look for a case to build it.

Cool.....

Peete.

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #6,281 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That remains to be seen, the first amps have just been shipped out the past couple of weeks. There is a thread for the amp that I check from time to time.

For 100 bucks it looks like a real kick arse amp...it has loads of drive for low impedance cans.

800 mw @ 32 ohms....or something like that. Front end is tube, back end mosfet..hence hybrid moniker..perfect combo (cottage amp written all over it) for the price IMO. A few mods to it here and there I bet it's quite something afterwards...Can I leave nothing alone (stock) ?
biggrin.gif

Peete.

DAMMIT! Now you've got me interested! And I'm still ecstatic over last night's mods! My God has that made a difference now that it's had all day and last night to settle a bit. Maaaate, it's just gone up and up throughout the day and I've literally had to force myself to put the cans down several times to meet an appointment or two and get something to eat. Yes, it's that good! KHA + Senn 540s have never ever sounded this good, this real, this expressive in the 18 years I've had them. It's like KHA has taken on some of the fine attributes of a good tube amp; the treble is just 'there' without emphasis, yet shimmers and rings on percussion like the real thing does. Vocals are rounder, the subtlest lip and body movements are effortlessly there, air coming from lungs, breath from nostrils, a drummer shifting on his seat, double basses have wooden hollow shells ... and so on, all clues that tell me real people are singing and playing, instead of an good electronic simulcrum. Best of all in this is that I can hear how good the Zero is with the HDAM, man it really IS a cracker! And so much more to come ....
oh happy days
smile_phones.gif
jecklinsmile.gif
happy_face1.gif
L3000.gif

The other 'best of all' is that I haven't had so much musical fun for years!
The S-Man cometh.
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #6,282 of 9,388
Hi all,
I found the Zero runs hot after a few hrs, especially at the headphone amp bd, any concern?
My request for a OPA827 got rejected. On hand, I have LT1364 (2 pcs) & AD8599 (1 pc). I heard putting LT1364 on the DAC runs very hot, is it true?
The AD8599 is SMD type (v small), seems like not easy to solder it to an adaptor.

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #6,283 of 9,388
Hi,

CC in again. Finally my gang members (13 of them) have received the OPA. We are going to burn the OPA.

Looks like the OPA Moon will be launched during the Chinese Mooncake festival, Hopefully. The Moon will accomodate the headphone better than the Sun. Stay tune.

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #6,284 of 9,388
Quote:

Hi,

CC in again. Finally my gang members (13 of them) have received the OPA. We are going to burn the OPA.

Looks like the OPA Moon will be launched during the Chinese Mooncake festival, Hopefully. The Moon will accomodate the headphone better than the Sun. Stay tune.

What will be the main differences with the sun and earth?

P.s I have received the 3 sun and earth but I don't have the zero and hd 650, wow!

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #6,285 of 9,388
Quote:

Hi,

ccschua Kingwa told me to get back to him in October for the OPA-Moon on it's progress .. Said it 's more Valve like so would be interesting what it'll sound like . I myself prefer the OPA-Earth in the DAC at the moment to the Sun now after listening at lenght ... I'm currently trying out his Buffer 3 which has improved SQ out of the Analog output , it's not subtle either .

Gavin ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back