Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 8, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #6,258 of 9,388
As glitch39 said i want to bypass all the work listed in this thread, so tell me what is generally better than fully upgraded ZERO?

p.s.: asked, cuz its not the pusher-thread, isn't it?
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #6,260 of 9,388
Sennsay and Peete - cheers for your input
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm going to end up opening up my plastic cradle aren't I? I don't know why I bothered gluing it in the first place... no mods are ever really complete are they?
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Sep 8, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #6,261 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HI CC report in.

Too much capacitor is going to kill my appetite.

Just buy another Volex 17604 for the ZERO DAC. Cost me about USD 13 delivered to door step.

For a moment, I will just think about how to get the hump (is this the clipping we are talking about ) open up and make ZERO with bigger response.

Just wonder when is PP reg arriving, and how's Alex doing with the reg too.

Hi CC,

Should be here sometime this week (Friday) or early next week (depends on customs). That's a pretty good price for a Belden based cable...report any differences please, between it and the stock mains cable...when enough time has passed of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I just decided to not use leads and instead of it plug zero direct to socket (if after caps mods it's still possible)....

Would and acrilic top for the case, be just too ugly ?

Hi Diego,

I dunno about that...beauty is in the eye of the beholder is it not ?
smily_headphones1.gif

A nice smoked acrylic top like the Keces DAC's have would look really cool IMHO !!!!.

It would have to be custom made of course (DIY or ?) a big sheet of 1/4in thick stuff should do job for fairly cheap although I have no clue what this stuff actually costs.

Peete.

Sep 8, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #6,262 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm going to end up opening up my plastic cradle aren't I? I don't know why I bothered gluing it in the first place... no mods are ever really complete are they?
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Hi AP,

My pleasure,....funny thing about mods...they seem to evolve slightly as new ideas crop up. Never say never is a good mantra in this hobby
biggrin.gif

That being said gluing the HDAM into the DIY CC cradle is a sound (pardon the pun) philosophy...just makes further mods kinda ....hard to complete..
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe the pins are exposed enough to allow access ? You could always trim down the sides (of the cradle) since the plastic offers no shielding benefit and just serves to hold the heat in...what do you think AP ? Would allow access while giving you a solid platform to place the HDAM anywhere you like without risk of shorting anything.

Peete.

Sep 8, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #6,263 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all these moddings, can a inexperienced solderer do these things?

Yes...but one should practice first, read up on proper technique and gain confidence in one's self skills before attempting the harder more complex mods. Start off with simple projects, and read, read, read, ask tons of questions...google is your friend......

Everyone starts out with the same experience...as in none, at some point in their lives (of those inclined to DIY anything electronic in nature). My first time was 1973...with my Dad when I tried to help with a Heath Kit integrated tube AMP kit. I was terrible at it...but soon learned ...it's easy to pick up the skill, half the job is prep, the other half is proper execution.

Peete.

Sep 8, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #6,264 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi AP,

My pleasure,....funny thing about mods...they seem to evolve slightly as new ideas crop up. Never say never is a good mantra in this hobby
biggrin.gif

That being said gluing the HDAM into the DIY CC cradle is a sound (pardon the pun) philosophy...just makes further mods kinda ....hard to complete..
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe the pins are exposed enough to allow access ? You could always trim down the sides (of the cradle) since the plastic offers no shielding benefit and just serves to hold the heat in...what do you think AP ? Would allow access while giving you a solid platform to place the HDAM anywhere you like without risk of shorting anything.

Peete.

That'd make a lot more sense, actually. The cradle was designed to shield the sides from contacting anything if it happened to move. Since I've also tacked the base of the cradle down with glue, it's not going anywhere.

I'll have to see about getting a small film cap locally. Maplin are about as common here as Radio Shack is in the States, but they are quite limited as to what you can get hold of. RS, Farnell and Rapid offer much better stock but charge a lot for postage, or if you spend over a certain amount(£20-£25 last time I checked), they'd do it for free.

Shame I don't need more gear... maybe I should take a look for something suitable on eBay...

~Phewl.

Sep 8, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #6,265 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi CC,

Hi Diego,

I dunno about that...beauty is in the eye of the beholder is it not ?
smily_headphones1.gif

A nice smoked acrylic top like the Keces DAC's have would look really cool IMHO !!!!.

It would have to be custom made of course (DIY or ?) a big sheet of 1/4in thick stuff should do job for fairly cheap although I have no clue what this stuff actually costs.

Peete.

Yeah, maybe, but the problem is that zero isn't tall enough, so I would have to do a kind of box........
I guess I'll make things easier.... I'll just cut some holes for the HDAMs on Zero top case to fit them and cover it with an acrilic case...... maybe I can try to make it looks like HDAMs were inside a tube, like on tube amps.... but I really don't have all this skill.....

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #6,266 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaddix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Decided to keep the 595s and just buy some 650's so now I'll have two senns!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just bought the 650 and selled the 595...I will wait for them the zero and hdam, what a revolution on my audio hardware...

I got a smile out of these two!
smily_headphones1.gif
Same flavor, different outcomes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Having more than one pair of Senns is a good thing IMHO. I'm using my HD-650's so much now, I worry about wearing them out, so I've started using my HD-600's more, to spread out the "wearing" factor a little.

At the end of the day, I'm very glad to have both. They both have a unique sound that I find very pleasurable. I've often wondered about the HD-595 for computer usage and regular old headphone listening. Would either of you guys recommend them for this, or would I be better off getting another pair of HD-580's?

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #6,267 of 9,388
Quote:

Yeah, maybe, but the problem is that zero isn't tall enough, so I would have to do a kind of box........
I guess I'll make things easier.... I'll just cut some holes for the HDAMs on Zero top case to fit them and cover it with an acrilic case...... maybe I can try to make it looks like HDAMs were inside a tube, like on tube amps.... but I really don't have all this skill.....

Hi D,

If you find a decent solution for this, that would be great! I did look into it some, but couldn't seem to find anything that required only limited fabrication skills.
smily_headphones1.gif

Do the wires really have you worried? So far, I can't tell if they are making a sonic difference, and they are allowing me to close up the case to protect the insides. I was also trying to preserve the stacking capabilities as well.
Thoughts??
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #6,268 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi D,

If you find a decent solution for this, that would be great! I did look into it some, but couldn't seem to find anything that required only limited fabrication skills.
smily_headphones1.gif

Do the wires really have you worried? So far, I can't tell if they are making a sonic difference, and they are allowing me to close up the case to protect the insides. I was also trying to preserve the stacking capabilities as well.
Thoughts??
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Penchum,

What do you call "stacking" ? You mean, to be able to put something else on the top of zero, like MKIII ?

Well... I thought it would be a problem. A flat surface should be better....
I really don't have any problems with wires.... maybe it gets too much things inside of Zero and maybe it can get too hot to put 3 hdams on it........ Oh, and yes...... I'm a little worried about sonic differences... you know, we are willing to do all those mods on Zero, to a little wire mess a little bit with things....
Well, we also have to wait for the solution for feeding them.... maybe we do really need more space depending on the size of the power supply thing PP is working out.....
When I have my HDAMs here I'll start up drawing some things....
I also want to know if there's a 12V line running on zero, where maybe a computer fan could be plugged....

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #6,269 of 9,388
Quote:

Hi Penchum,

What do you call "stacking" ? You mean, to be able to put something else on the top of zero, like MKIII ?

Well... I thought it would be a problem. A flat surface should be better....
I really don't have any problems with wires.... maybe it gets too much things inside of Zero and maybe it can get too hot to put 3 hdams on it........ Oh, and yes...... I'm a little worried about sonic differences... you know, we are willing to do all those mods on Zero, to a little wire mess a little bit with things....
Well, we also have to wait for the solution for feeding them.... maybe we do really need more space depending on the size of the power supply thing PP is working out.....
When I have my HDAMs here I'll start up drawing some things....
I also want to know if there's a 12V line running on zero, where maybe a computer fan could be plugged....

Ya, I have my MKIII on top of mine right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the extensions Lawrence made for my first model HDAM, which are about 8" long, and they don't seem to make a sonic difference, so I'm not too worried about the shorter ones from audio-gd.

You are right though, many of the possible issues haven't been addressed yet, so hopefully soon we'll have a better handle on power and heat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #6,270 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Cant u access pin 4 and pin 8 on the ZERO PCB connector to connect the cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back