Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 10, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #6,346 of 9,388
I understand that parallel = combined uf total.

The 2 sub networks ( 1 .47uf bypassed by a .22 uf ) is then wired in series to the other 2 cap assembly.

I can demonstrate this better with a pic....

SuperCapPakparallelseries001.jpg

What's the rule for series, is it divide in half ?

Peete.

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #6,347 of 9,388
Pench just wanted to point out it's not a member of the MK series...it's simply LD I+ . I made the same mistake the other night assuming it's was part of the MK series..No big deal
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #6,348 of 9,388
Yep it cuts the uf in half and doubles the voltage rating....not recommended way for installing caps ...I also found out...so I'll have to adjust the idea to full parallel.

Peete.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #6,349 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pench just wanted to point out it's not a member of the MK series...it's simply LD I+ . I made the same mistake the other night assuming it's was part of the MK series..No big deal
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Ah, good point. Maybe there will be II+ and III+ for higher impedance cans, but then that's covered by the MK series, I take it.
Um .... where does one purchase one of these cute little tykes?
normal_smile .gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #6,350 of 9,388
Here you are S-Man

Viewing a thread - NEW ! LD I+ Tube / transistors mixed Headphone Amp.

All the specs...contact David or Sword via direct buy link. None of these are listed at the eBay web store.

Hows the 650's ? Or are you still at work....Yeesh it 2 AM here and I have get up at 6 AM.

Here's a cool place for more DIY goodies.....hi quality stuff, well designed to boot
smily_headphones1.gif
http://welbornelabs.com/index.html

Peete.

PS David said it would drive 300 ohm cans fairly well, although I can't confirm that 100% at the moment. Ask him if you contact them. Theyare super nice guys (Sword and David) and answer all emails really quickly. They love chatting about audio and music ...if they are not too busy that is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #6,351 of 9,388
As the general consensus is that the zero is a great bang for buck dac and amp would you think that the headphone amp stage of the zero(with the head-fi upgrade) would outperform a 80s integrated amp made by Sanyo. Please bare in mind that I'm only referring the headphone stage and not the DAC stage.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #6,352 of 9,388
Quote:

Here you are S-Man

Viewing a thread - NEW ! LD I+ Tube / transistors mixed Headphone Amp.

All the specs...contact David or Sword via direct buy link. None of these are listed at the eBay web store.

Hows the 650's ? Or are you still at work....Yeesh it 2 AM here and I have get up at 6 AM.

Here's a cool place for more DIY goodies.....hi quality stuff, well designed to boot
smily_headphones1.gif
Welborne Labs Homepage

Peete.

PS David said it would drive 300 ohm cans fairly well, although I can't confirm that 100% at the moment. Ask him if you contact them. Theyare super nice guys (Sword and David) and answer all emails really quickly. They love chatting about audio and music ...if they are not too busy that is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks so much for all that! Will get onto it and have a looksee.
650s are sounding really good for new out of the box. A little hard on occasions and sounding a bit tight as one would expect, yet still punchy and clean. Got some serious 'sock' with KHA!
L3000.gif

By the time you wake up around first tweet, I will be heading for my own sweet bed.
biggrin.gif
Got some toons to enjoy before then though ... after Stargate Atlantis!

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #6,353 of 9,388
How would the Zero be with Denon D-1001s and a Consonance CD-120 for a transport (coaxial output)? There is a seller of the Zero on e-bay for $165.00 but his rating is only 98.1. Is this a good person to buy from or are there others? I am also looking at the DV-336i and Little Dot MKIII.

Bill

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #6,354 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Mac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would the Zero be with Denon D-1001s and a Consonance CD-120 for a transport (coaxial output)? There is a seller of the Zero on e-bay for $165.00 but his rating is only 98.1. Is this a good person to buy from or are there others? I am also looking at the DV-336i and Little Dot MKIII.

Bill

Hey buddy, I am using a Zero with Earth HDAM (with 1364s in the amp) and the D1000s, as well as new HD650s with another amp. The D1000s rock with the Zero amp! Loads of volume with them and the bass is full and warm, if that's what you like.
I bought my Zero from snow46_8 on ebay and he was excellent with me, at least. Most people seem to buy from Lawrence Chan, lawrencechanbig@msn.com and he's the usual source for some of the add-ons to upgrade the Zero.
My price from snow46_8 was only $99USD if that makes a difference to you. I haven't had experience with the DV-336i and the LD amps ... yet. Plenty of other enthusiasts in this thread can help you with those!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #6,355 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can u describe with more details about it. One of my fren grab audio-gd buffer too to connect to his amp.

If u info on the Moon is latest, then we have to wait. Moon is a single ended class A (so I guess it is not a folded design as in Earth), a trait known for tubelike sound.

ccschua with the buffer I found the midrange was more pronounce not by loudness but in clarity, but really over the whole spectrum there was an improvement. It does have a 6db gain but even when you switch to the other source your missing what the buffer improved . My setup to compare is I have the CDP > Digital Coaixial > Zero with OPA-Earth > Buffer 3 > AUX input on preamp . From the same CDP ( Harmon Kardon 970 ) using the analog output to CD input on preamp . All I have to do is switch between the 2 inputs to get an instant comparason . Why I choose to use a buffer is I've read alot of CD players have a high inpedance output that if you can get a low inpedance into the preamp it will improve SQ dramatically on cheap to midrange CD players . When you check any CD players in the thousands , they all boast a low impedance output . Maybe this is how expensive interconnects improve the SQ by changing the impedance .. This buffer 3 is 22 ohms and my Class A preamp to power amp in 2 ohms & my Yamaha multi channel pre outs are 1100 ohms !!! I wondered why my yamaha preout sounded horrible compared to my 2 channel preamp .. If anyone can explain why this makes a difference I'd be interested .. Does anyone know the output impedance or the Zero with the OPA-Earth ?

Kingwa told me about the Moon when he offered me a 2nd hdam , the OPA-Sun as a pressent and how the 2 for 1 started , he then said this

Hi!Gavin:
Thanks you reply,if have any problems or advice , please tell me.
If the feedback of OPA is good, we will produce OPA-Moon, it sound like tube.
Kingwa

Hi!Gavin:
OPA-Moon now have no product, mabey it will product at Oct.
Thanks your help.
Keep connect please.
Kingwa

English as you know from Kingwa is a bit broken but you can work out what he meant ..

Gavin ..

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #6,356 of 9,388
Quote:

Gavin, your bonus caps are on the way to you mate !!! Forgot to mention that....(4 x 1uf K42Y-2 160V's as promised)...they went out last week. They are being shipped via 2 skinny dudes in a 8 ft dingy.

Peete.

Thanks Mate , egerly waiting for them . I've put off making a caddy for the Hdam till I solder on the cap then will make something up .. Also if you could send me the photo to my email of the best solder points .

Thanks,
Gavin ...

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #6,357 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey buddy, I am using a Zero with Earth HDAM (with 1364s in the amp) and the D1000s, as well as new HD650s with another amp. The D1000s rock with the Zero amp! Loads of volume with them and the bass is full and warm, if that's what you like.
I bought my Zero from snow46_8 on ebay and he was excellent with me, at least. Most people seem to buy from Lawrence Chan, lawrencechanbig@msn.com and he's the usual source for some of the add-ons to upgrade the Zero.
My price from snow46_8 was only $99USD if that makes a difference to you. I haven't had experience with the DV-336i and the LD amps ... yet. Plenty of other enthusiasts in this thread can help you with those!
smily_headphones1.gif

sennsay,

Thanks for you help. Was the $99.00 with shipping?

Bill

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #6,358 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Mac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bill

Good list in my sig
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #6,359 of 9,388
Quote:

Yep it cuts the uf in half and doubles the voltage rating....not recommended way for installing caps ...I also found out...so I'll have to adjust the idea to full parallel.

Peete.

Hi PP just don't forget thos rule of cutting in half is only right when both caps have the same capacitance.....

The right formula in any case is:
Ct = C1xC2/(C1+C2)

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #6,360 of 9,388
here is my item for mod.. 100uF cap x 4 for the power supply to the dac & receiver chip. 1 pait of good RCA to to replace the Gucci. On the left is the new extension cable supply for all new orders, thicker and more rigid.

P1050788.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back