Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 10, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #6,331 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope instead of the single 1uf cap on each HDAM...it'll be 1 cap pak on each HDAM. The total uf value is up by 25% over the single 1uf cap so I might have to turf one of the .22 uf caps...I'll try it as is though, the power supply in the SuperDAC is stout so I doubt there will be any complaints from it when it sees all these caps saying fill me up damn it
biggrin.gif

S-Man....you have the cans or you are on the way to get them ? If the latter ...run don't walk...
smily_headphones1.gif
You won't get any sleep tonight...your in for a eargasmic experience....change the underpants or better yet go commando
biggrin.gif

Peete.

OW! I was thinking about the FrankenZero! My bad. Yes, SuperDAC all the way Bro! I can only imagine how great that will sound in your main rig once they mature!!
smily_headphones1.gif
Now let's see, are you using "earths" or "suns" in the SuperDAC??

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #6,333 of 9,388
Quote:

Nope instead of the single 1uf cap on each HDAM...it'll be 1 cap pak on each HDAM. The total uf value is up by 25% over the single 1uf cap so I might have to turf one of the .22 uf caps...I'll try it as is though, the power supply in the SuperDAC is stout so I doubt there will be any complaints from it when it sees all these caps saying fill me up damn it
biggrin.gif

S-Man....you have the cans or you are on the way to get them ? If the latter ...run don't walk...
smily_headphones1.gif
You won't get any sleep tonight...your in for a eargasmic experience....change the underpants or better yet go commando
biggrin.gif

Peete.

PS I'm not endorsing this looney idea of mine (the cap pak) it's just an experiment...it'll need at least 300 hours of time or more before a I can say whether or not it's a waste of caps or it's merely awesome...
biggrin.gif
In all honesty I don't know what to expect....kinda the same boat I was in when I first tried the 1 uf cap tweak a few months back.

Commando, mate, only way to go. 650s are now in the house, had to chase the courier to another part of town, but there was no way I was going home for another hour and more! It's so nice to have kit come in a box and with that nice flexi-3.5 mm connector too. Cool.
Pench, I am assuming that I have 'late' model jobs, since they are (were!) unopened in the box. What did they do to the drivers?
normal_smile .gif

Ah yes, you're talking new drivers as opposed to well used drivers a few years old eh?
They sound damn good out of the box, massive bass slam via KHA, M'Shell Ndegeocello kicks serious butt. Strangely, I almost bought the 600s because I like the marbled finish!

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #6,334 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The kit will include a volume pot?
Just to decide if will be usefool buy it from Lawrence
wink.gif

Nope...LC is the only guy that can get the pot.

Peete.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #6,335 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Commando, mate, only way to go. 650s are now in the house, had to chase the courier to another part of town, but there was no way I was going home for another hour and more! It's so nice to have kit come in a box and with that nice flexi-3.5 mm connector too. Cool.
Pench, I am assuming that I have 'late' model jobs, since they are (were!) unopened in the box. What did they do to the drivers?
normal_smile .gif

Ah yes, you're talking new drivers as opposed to well used drivers a few years old eh?
They sound damn good out of the box, massive bass slam via KHA, M'Shell Ndegeocello kicks serious butt. Strangely, I almost bought the 600s because I like the marbled finish!

I'm not sure what they changed, but they sound so much better than my older ones! Yours should be like my new drivers, so I'm sure they sound great right out of the box.
smily_headphones1.gif
Gotta love those Senns!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #6,337 of 9,388
Heres a pic or two (the ones that turned out)..using the SUN module as an example. The leads will attach directly at the spot where the bottom plate pcb and the pin pads are soldered onto the the vertical sides. Swap the cap pak alignment 180 degrees and the top leads join in the middle, the bottom leads will be very close to ideal in placement to V- V+....the idea being to have that lead attach to the proper pin pad on each side leaving 2 mm of lead (90 degree bend from cap pak) so the entire cap pak floats around the module without touching it. Of course I will wrap the actual HDAM in a nice thin layer of electrical tape to prevent shorts ...I hope this explanation and pics will lend a hand to understanding the installation of the experimental cap pak HDAM tweak....in any event the attachment of the pak is elegant and simple even it the whole thing is as ugly...as ...uuuuhhhh....Frankenstein
biggrin.gif

SuperCapPakHDAM006.jpg

SuperCapPakHDAM008.jpg

SuperCapPakHDAM011.jpg

Sorry about the lousy quality pics....obviously this is nothing but a quick and dirty mock up...the finished work will look far better...I hope
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #6,338 of 9,388
Quote:

Heres a pic or two (the ones that turned out)..using the SUN module as an example. The leads will attach directly at the spot where the bottom plate pcb and the pin pads are soldered onto the the vertical sides. Swap the cap pak alignment 180 degrees and the top leads join in the middle, the bottom leads will be very close to ideal in placement to V- V+....the idea being to have that lead attach to the proper pin pad on each side leaving 2 mm of lead (90 degree bend from cap pak) so the entire cap pak floats around the module without touching it. Of course I will wrap the actual HDAM in a nice thin layer of electrical tape to prevent shorts ...I hope this explanation and pics will lend a hand to understanding the installation of the experimental cap pak HDAM tweak....in any event the attachment of the pak is elegant and simple even it the whole thing is as ugly...as ...uuuuhhhh....Frankenstein
biggrin.gif

Sorry about the lousy quality pics....obviously this is nothing but a quick and dirty mock up...the finished work will look far better...I hope
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Hey PP veryyyy veryyyy nice caps......
biggrin.gif

I think you just love big caps, like me!
icon10.gif

Any improvement using them or not tested yet ?

Diego

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #6,339 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what they changed, but they sound so much better than my older ones! Yours should be like my new drivers, so I'm sure they sound great right out of the box.
smily_headphones1.gif
Gotta love those Senns!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes they do and yes I do! No brightness that one or two others have spoken of, wonder if it was the amp they used? Smooth as, while I can also hear how they might refine on burning in. The wonderful thing is, the Senn 540s are sounding so good with the HDAM in KHA that they are not in the least shamed by their up market brothers, so I have a good second set of Senns for a lighter sound if I wish. I couldn't have said that two weeks ago! 650s have better power handling though. The Pines of Rome are giving them a work out for the moment. Might have to fire up the Trevor Lees tube pre tonight and see what they sound like. Many cheers to you guys for the tips and inspiration.
beerchug.gif

Now, after the recent chat on the LD Mk1+, I have a hankering to play with one. It will suit the Denons but do you think I may be better off with the LD II or LD III for the 650s?

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #6,340 of 9,388
Hi Diego,

Haven't soldered them onto the Earth modules yet...trying to figure what pin 4 and 8 are actually seeing as far as uf total. You see it's actually ( and I could be wrong about this, cause I'm rusty with this kind of thing) a parallel, series, parallel cap pak network...or is it series,parallel, series ? Can someone clarify this for me please...my brain has put up the "gone fishing sign in the window" for the rest of the evening
confused_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

I sure do like these caps Diego, they are super high quality film and foil in oil caps...with an insanely low price. They are superb sounding caps, and I think wholly unique in nature. They are very neutral, allow everything to pass while adding no grain in the highs, no image smear, they are fast caps..if that makes sense. The Teflon series are truly amazing IMO...I can hardy wait to recap the MC-7R with a mixture of PLIO K75-10 caps bypassed with T-3 Teflons...the MKP film caps in that amp now are clearly inferior but do a fair job considering the overall cost of the amp. The corners were cut here which is why the amp has loads of potential waiting to be tapped. The mod I'm thinking off is almost the same as the Ref Audio mod that cost 600US...I'll be doing mine for about 75 bucks
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a pic of the MC-7R

MC-7R.jpg

Whoops off on a tangent again (sorry everyone)....I think I have a cap problem...step one to recovery is to admit the problem and face it ....

Hello my name is Peete and I'm a capoholic
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #6,341 of 9,388
Haven't soldered them onto the Earth modules yet...trying to figure what pin 4 and 8 are actually seeing as far as uf total. You see it's actually ( and I could be wrong about this, cause I'm rusty with this kind of thing) a parallel, series, parallel cap pak network...or is it series,parallel, series ? Can someone clarify this for me please...my brain has put up the "gone fishing sign in the window" for the rest of the evening .

Those caps are in parallel, PP, but as for the formula to work out the capacitance ... I left my electronics book back in OZ. It IS the opposite of resistors though and I'm pretty sure if caps are in parallel then you just add the capacitance together to get the total.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #6,342 of 9,388
Quote:

Hi Diego,

Haven't soldered them onto the Earth modules yet...trying to figure what pin 4 and 8 are actually seeing as far as uf total. You see it's actually ( and I could be wrong about this, cause I'm rusty with this kind of thing) a parallel, series, parallel cap pak network...or is it series,parallel, series ? Can someone clarify this for me please...my brain has put up the "gone fishing sign in the window" for the rest of the evening
confused_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

I sure do like these caps Diego, they are super high quality film and foil in oil caps...with an insanely low price. They are superb sounding caps, and I think wholly unique in nature. They are very neutral, allow everything to pass while adding no grain in the highs, no image smear, they are fast caps..if that makes sense. The Teflon series are truly amazing IMO...I can hardy wait to recap the MC-7R with a mixture of PLIO K75-10 caps bypassed with T-3 Teflons...the MKP film caps in that amp now are clearly inferior but do a fair job considering the overall cost of the amp. The corners were cut here which is why the amp has loads of potential waiting to be tapped. The mod I'm thinking off is almost the same as the Ref Audio mod that cost 600US...I'll be doing mine for about 75 bucks
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a pic of the MC-7R

Whoops off on a tangent again (sorry everyone)....I think I have a cap problem...step one to recovery is to admit the problem and face it ....

Hello my name is Peete and I'm a capoholic
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Well, I don't know eneough to help you on your question, but I do know that I will join your capoholic group
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #6,343 of 9,388
Quote:

Yes they do and yes I do! No brightness that one or two others have spoken of, wonder if it was the amp they used? Smooth as, while I can also hear how they might refine on burning in. The wonderful thing is, the Senn 540s are sounding so good with the HDAM in KHA that they are not in the least shamed by their up market brothers, so I have a good second set of Senns for a lighter sound if I wish. I couldn't have said that two weeks ago! 650s have better power handling though. The Pines of Rome are giving them a work out for the moment. Might have to fire up the Trevor Lees tube pre tonight and see what they sound like. Many cheers to you guys for the tips and inspiration.
beerchug.gif

Now, after the recent chat on the LD Mk1+, I have a hankering to play with one. It will suit the Denons but do you think I may be better off with the LD II or LD III for the 650s?

Man, that's a really good question. The MKII and MKIII have a proven track record and with tube rolling, are able to perform well above double their price points. The new kid, LD1+ seems to be for 300ohms and lower, but for it's price point, who cares!!
smily_headphones1.gif
It cries out to be tinkered with!! It might be worth the money just to tinker with! Between swapping Opamps and Tubes, it appears to have MUCH potential, and I like that idea much more than I used to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Driving one cleanly with a modded Zero sounds like a decent idea. I know PP is talking about doing it, so am I, and several others as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #6,344 of 9,388
Quote:

Haven't soldered them onto the Earth modules yet...trying to figure what pin 4 and 8 are actually seeing as far as uf total. You see it's actually ( and I could be wrong about this, cause I'm rusty with this kind of thing) a parallel, series, parallel cap pak network...or is it series,parallel, series ? Can someone clarify this for me please...my brain has put up the "gone fishing sign in the window" for the rest of the evening .

Those caps are in parallel, PP, but as for the formula to work out the capacitance ... I left my electronics book back in OZ. It IS the opposite of resistors though and I'm pretty sure if caps are in parallel then you just add the capacitance together to get the total.

You're right about that.... I misunderstood his question....
Yeah... the way the caps are linked (parallel), it's just sum capacitance.....
Just opposite from resistors like you said.

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #6,345 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, that's a really good question. The MKII and MKIII have a proven track record and with tube rolling, are able to perform well above double their price points. The new kid, MK1+ seems to be for 300ohms and lower, but for it's price point, who cares!!
smily_headphones1.gif
It cries out to be tinkered with!! It might be worth the money just to tinker with! Between swapping Opamps and Tubes, it appears to have MUCH potential, and I like that idea much more than I used to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Driving one cleanly with a modded Zero sounds like a decent idea. I know PP is talking about doing it, so am I, and several others as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, the prospect has become quite mouthwatering! How do these guys do it for the price? My Meier 2Move (bless it's little cotton socks!) cost me a little over 50% more than the Zero has - stock - and still less than that total with 2 HDAMs! No way am I dissing the 2Move, but just check the value from the Zero! Then comes LD I+, I'm just shaking my head. How can I possibly resist such a cute lil amp? I would love a tube/hybrid HP amp!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back