Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 13, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #5,101 of 9,388
Sorry to interrupt but I need to get this straight haha.

The Lawrence Head-Fi deal consists of the Zero modded with OPA627 and LT1364s and an ALPS Pot?

I'm thinking of buying two from wsz0304 people seem to have had good experiences and I've confirmed that this comes with the OPA627, ALPS Pot, USB to SPDIF converter

Perhaps the first post should be updated with this information?

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #5,102 of 9,388
Wow I should've waited just a little bit longer to get my Zero because I bought mine from wsz0304 as well but it didn't come with the ALPS Pot yet. Oh well, still love my Zero! And the LM4562 in the DAC section sounds very, very nice.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #5,103 of 9,388
Really huh thats bad luck but yeah in the FAQ it says they come with them now. Sounds like wsz0304 is the way to go then - seems like a good deal for me in Australia anyway since the ALPS cost an arm and a leg

"A: Thank you for your message and interest in this item. Yes,the unit comes with the USB-SPDIF converter.The shipping cost to Singapore/Australia are USD36.8/USD43 separately.It takes 5-7 working days by transportation.And the upgrade one is with ALPS pot..."

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #5,104 of 9,388
Hong Kong Post is giving me the run around currently. They said it left hong kong on the 11th, then later that day said it would leave the 12th. Now it says it will leave the 13th (It is about 3pm on the 13th there right now)

>
frown.gif

Can't wait for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #5,105 of 9,388
i'm trying to decide between the ZERO and KECES DA-131. i don't want to assume that the KECES is better because its costs twice as much ($320 BIN v. $128 BIN), especially with the ZERO's potential for mods.

i'm planning to use it with the Little Dot MK V or Little Dot MK IV SE with the Sennheiser HD650.

Are there any vouches for the ZERO over the KECESDA-131 or vice versa with my intended setup? and I realize the cost of modding may end up negating the money saved over the DA-131.

Is there a rough estimate of how much these mods cost: HDAM, LT1364, LM4562, OPA-Earth, OPA-Sun. <~Not that I fully understand what these mods are, but they seem to be popular and discussed a lot, and something I'll probably get into later.

my finances are finally permitting and i'm really anxious to get things ordered, especially before the MS Live cashback disappears on ebay.

thanks in advance for any tips!

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #5,106 of 9,388
Unfortunately not many of us have the luxury to test all kind of DAC to give u the opinion.

I suggest u try to read around all the web for KECES and find out what users think and feel about it. Make sure they use KECES with little dot, SenH. i.e. comparable to your listening gear. if not, u have to ask their opinion.

Then read the ZERO for the opinion and experience that users have here. that will give u kick start. The HDAM, LT and others OPA are about USD 30 at most. HDAM is about USD 80 bcos of copyright, so why pay more. Even OPA Sun or Earth price will be similar to OPA 627. Alot of users here have good results with your gear, just like Penchuum.

but If u still keen in ZERO, get the stock unit (no special, except the pot ) and wait for user review on OPA Earth and sun.

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #5,107 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had a couple of pairs of Senns now, and to be honest, I fancy going for something completely different. Because there's literally nothing wrong with what I've currently got... I fancy going for something else. I'd pretty much settled on the BeyerDynamic DT880, then started reading about the Denon AH-D5000s, and pretty much settled on them.

Long story short, I was in a motorcycle accident last December. I plan on banking the entire compensation sum, minus any pair of headphones I like. Whether they be £100 or £2000... less is always better though
wink.gif

Typical UK price is £500/$1000 for the D5k, so I'll likely be importing them...
smily_headphones1.gif

There's a nagging part of me that known that I'll always prefer the overall experience of a good speaker system, and that I shouldn't blow a huge amount of money on headphones. Damned common-sense
wink.gif

~Phewl

AP,

Man, sorry about the bike accident! I'm a biker as well, who can't ride anymore because of a spinal fusion surgery gone bad. I hope you are better and can ride again? (My bike is sitting in the garage crying for me!)

The speaker system preference is very common around here, and I fall into that same frame of mind.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have a "newer" respect and love for head audio, but I'm not willing to shell out the top money for that last few percent of goodness. I've been a fan of "inexpensive but quality" headphone audio from the start. It is such a good feeling to have excellent sound for less.
smily_headphones1.gif

The DT880 seems to have a large fan base here. If I had a short list, they would be on it for sure. I don't know squat about the Denon's. I guess I've fallen behind in reading lately!
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope that Sennheiser will come out with a new model or two pretty soon. Close outs are happening on HD-600's and HD-650's, from the "open box" re-certified stocks, so maybe that is a good sign?

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #5,108 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the upgraded Zeros come with a USB/SPDIF adapter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to interrupt but I need to get this straight haha.

The Lawrence Head-Fi deal consists of the Zero modded with OPA627 and LT1364s and an ALPS Pot?

I'm thinking of buying two from wsz0304 people seem to have had good experiences and I've confirmed that this comes with the OPA627, ALPS Pot, USB to SPDIF converter

Perhaps the first post should be updated with this information?

Quote:

Wow I should've waited just a little bit longer to get my Zero because I bought mine from wsz0304 as well but it didn't come with the ALPS Pot yet. Oh well, still love my Zero! And the LM4562 in the DAC section sounds very, very nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really huh thats bad luck but yeah in the FAQ it says they come with them now. Sounds like wsz0304 is the way to go then - seems like a good deal for me in Australia anyway since the ALPS cost an arm and a leg

"A: Thank you for your message and interest in this item. Yes,the unit comes with the USB-SPDIF converter.The shipping cost to Singapore/Australia are USD36.8/USD43 separately.It takes 5-7 working days by transportation.And the upgrade one is with ALPS pot..."

Part of the reason why there isn't a bunch of purchasing information on the first page goodies, is that the prices get changed like underwear, and the included options and extra options change like the wind!

That seller wsz0304 has told "included" information that wasn't correct two times now, and I'm really not sure what is included anymore.

As far as I know, the "HeadFi Deal" is still only the upgrades to OPA627's on an adapter, in the DAC, and the LT1364's in the headphone amp. The "real" Alps NOS volume pot was an option you had to pay for, like $10 I think.

Another eBay seller was selling the stock Zero, with DAC upgrade to OPA627's and a separate grey colored USB/SPDIF-Optical sound card device.

So right there, are three different setups with 3 different end results.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess the old saying about "If in doubt, email them for what you want" applies heavily right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

If we could get "absolute" confirmation on what is included and what is available for options, from each "trusted" seller, I wouldn't have a problem with adding it as an addendum at the end of the review, as long as there was a way to keep it current. This might be difficult on many levels though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #5,109 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidastoria /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a rough estimate of how much these mods cost: HDAM, LT1364, LM4562, OPA-Earth, OPA-Sun. <~Not that I fully understand what these mods are, but they seem to be popular and discussed a lot, and something I'll probably get into later.

Don't worry, I had no idea either before I started reading this thread what it all meant!

Basically, the Zero has two functions - it can be a straight DAC, which sits between a CD player, computer or similar device and an amp. It's second function involves pressing a single button on the front of the unit that turns it into a pre-amp or headphone amp, depending on whether anything is plugged into its headphone socket or not.

Inside the unit one can see that the DAC section and AMP section are on separate boards. The AMP section has the volume control and headphone socket. On that board are two small ICs (integrated circuits) which are in removable sockets. The DAC section has one of this ICs. These ICs are known as "opamps".

Opamps, rather like valves, can be "rolled" - in other words, switched with other models that affect the sound differently. The stock opamps are ok, but not fantastic. Penchum, through trial and error figured out the best combination, which is now available as the "head-fi special" from Lawrence. After that was figured out, I forgot who, but someone tried instead of putting opamps in, they could put in a small mounted circuit board called a HDAM unit. This HDAM unit uses high quality transitors to amplify the signal. The result was a significant, if slightly expensive improvement (considering that the Zero is a very cheap unit for what it does).

The latest news are HDAM units called the Earth and Sun respectively. There's hope that they'll give a significant improvement in sound. Since they are a little cheaper than the HDAMs that are currently available, there's hope that they'll provide the best bang-for-your-buck available.

As well as the opamp upgrades, the default volume "pot" isn't very high quality, resulting in hiss or uneven left/right balance for some people. One of the most respected manufacturers in Japan, Alps, are well known for making high quality volume pots. There's a specific model that can be used instead in the amp section of Zero instead of the default cheap one which fixes these issues.

The resulting head-fi special is a Zero with 2x OPA627 opamps on a special adaptor for the DAC section, and 2x LT1364 opamps in the AMP section and the better quality volume pot.

I hope that answers your question. I'm sorry I'm not up on the exact price for the units.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #5,110 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidastoria /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Doesn't the HDAM cost $80? If you are in the U.S. the LT1364 x2 samples can be had for free (a total of 5 different sample pairs could be ordered from Linear Tech). LM4562 x3 samples cost $10 shipped from National. If you have a work or school e-mail address, then they are free. And lastly, I believe people have been charged ~$50 for the OPA-Earth & OPA-Sun combo (people have been lucky to get the OPA-Sun for free after purchasing only the OPA-Earth).

I wouldn't worry too much about the HDAM or OPA-Earth/Sun right now. You may enjoy the Zero just with the cheapies, like so many others have.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #5,111 of 9,388
Just got some information about the earth and sun.

As Mr He said replace Headphone amp to earth or sun instead of LT1364 will cause low impedance phones(32-100) does not get engouth output and only 100 above will be fine.

So he suggest me about their new product
н¨ÍøÒ³ 2 which I do not even understand what is it.

I am thinking to do this update to use it with denon but now...

Any thought?

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #5,112 of 9,388
On that Buffer-2 product I don't see any digital inputs.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #5,113 of 9,388
A little bit of correction on opamp rolling vs tube. Tube rolling is also another aspect that gives different sound characteristics. Its another area for rolling only to the eye of beholder.

Well I was lucky to be given free OPA-Earth, so called early birds. My shipping is as usual slow like snail. I have switched to OPA 627 to gauge against the arrival Sun and Earth.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #5,114 of 9,388
Quote:

On that Buffer-2 product I don't see any digital inputs.

I think he suggest me to use the buffer to adjust the impedance. SO maybe connect it after zero.

I am not going to buy it for sure.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #5,115 of 9,388
I have been looking for the replacement capacitor for the power supply to the DAC and receiver chip.

So far the stock is 100uF 25V. But the Sanyo Os-Con capacitor gives only max 20V 100uF. Can I use this one ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back