Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 14, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #5,131 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got some information about the earth and sun.

As Mr He said replace Headphone amp to earth or sun instead of LT1364 will cause low impedance phones(32-100) does not get engouth output and only 100 above will be fine.

I am thinking to do this update to use it with denon but now...

Any thought?

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #5,132 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^

Been mentioned many times in this thread
wink.gif

I see... its just hard to sift through 500 odd pages of thread haha. We really need to start a modding thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seller wsz0304 has told "included" information that wasn't correct two times now, and I'm really not sure what is included anymore.

As far as I know, the "HeadFi Deal" is still only the upgrades to OPA627's on an adapter, in the DAC, and the LT1364's in the headphone amp. The "real" Alps NOS volume pot was an option you had to pay for, like $10 I think.

Another eBay seller was selling the stock Zero, with DAC upgrade to OPA627's and a separate grey colored USB/SPDIF-Optical sound card device.

So right there, are three different setups with 3 different end results.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll try emailing all the other eBay sellers on exactly what they offer.

biglawhk = Lawrence. Offers ALPS pot for $10, and an additional $10 for installation if desired. His deal is as follows:
1x OPA627 installed on the DAC, 2x LT1364 installed in the headphone amp section. Comes with digital cable
Quoted $140 USD + Shipping per unit (I'm after 2 units)

wsz0304. Does not offer installation of LT1364s in headphone amp section.
1x OPA627 installed on the DAC, ALPS Pot*, USB/SPDIF converter
Quoted $128 USD + Shipping

*to be confirmed

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #5,133 of 9,388
^ is it just me or does that not make sense. Does he mean that low impedance headphones will have TOO MUCH output thus making it only ok for 100ohm or higher? Otherwise, what would that mean? That only BELOW 100ohm will be ok and above will not get enough gain?
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #5,134 of 9,388
This is what my first impression about OPA Earth and what I wrote the designer Mr He KingWa.

Just receive your OPA - Earth and Sun. Very nice packing.

test rig :
tranport : DVD NS76H
ZERO DAC with OPA EArth
Amplifier : Audiospace DU2.8i, 4 nos 6V6, 1x12AX7, 2x12AU7
Speaer : AAD Silver reference 1

cables : QED Qunex 2, stock optical
Test CD : Nils Lofgren, Acoustic Live, Chinese Audiophile CD, Chinese Cai Qing, Chesky

First impression I must say very long lasting. I have found the sound that I miss. The earth sounds so natural and crisp clear. The separation is very good when I play the chinese high impact drums. The vocal is so natural and the singer sibilance (like the Sssst, Ssssh) is gone. This is what I am looking for. It is so much better than the OPA 627, way much better.

good job. next I will test OPA Sun.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #5,135 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what my first impression about OPA Earth and what I wrote the designer Mr He KingWa.

Just receive your OPA - Earth and Sun. Very nice packing.

First impression I must say very long lasting. I have found the sound that I miss. The earth sounds so natural and crisp clear. The separation is very good when I play the chinese high impact drums. The vocal is so natural and the singer sibilance (like the Sssst, Ssssh) is gone. This is what I am looking for. It is so much better than the OPA 627, way much better.

good job. next I will test OPA Sun.

Thanks for that! Great to hear! I'm about to order tomorrow. For anyone who is curious, it came to $58.20 US to pay via paypal and get the 100mm lead (and the free second unit!!!). Sounds like it will be well worth it! Anxious to hear your impression on the Sun.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #5,136 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ is it just me or does that not make sense. Does he mean that low impedance headphones will have TOO MUCH output thus making it only ok for 100ohm or higher? Otherwise, what would that mean? That only BELOW 100ohm will be ok and above will not get enough gain?
confused_face(1).gif

That's what I thought too.
I will keep ask him.

Also for the 2 NE5532 in zero can I just use one sun and one earth to replace them or I have to put two same one in?

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #5,137 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that! Great to hear! I'm about to order tomorrow. For anyone who is curious, it came to $58.20 US to pay via paypal and get the 100mm lead (and the free second unit!!!). Sounds like it will be well worth it! Anxious to hear your impression on the Sun.

Mr He response is super fast. Just drop a email for the actual and he will reply u quite fast, unless he is away. I always say he is busy at the internet.

Well Mr He give me the extension cable with male and female adaptor at both end. that was much better. but for easy testing I just hook direct to the socket.

The output of OPA Earth and Sun is class A high current output. I guess ZERO power supply is enuf to cater for that. to check is easy, just make sure the components are not to hot lol.

please the test result is only first impression. I need to burn in for 100 hours. To burn in, just switch on the ZERO will do. and the recommended burn in is 300 hours, that is longer than to receive my opa earth.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #5,138 of 9,388
I have been looking through this thread where to get the free samples and can't find exactly where at or which one. Can anyone help me out. Linear.com has 3 different lt1364 so which one do I get also got the same question for the LM4562 from national.com. Thanks in advance for anything to help someone so confused.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #5,139 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I thought too.
I will keep ask him.

Also for the 2 NE5532 in zero can I just use one sun and one earth to replace them or I have to put two same one in?

To replace the NE 5532, u need two unit of the same one. Either 2xOPA earth or 2xOPA Sun, all dual output type (more expansive).

Since u still have 1 day before buy 1 free 1, u might as well get 1 pair and get 1 pair free.

I think OPA sun for DAC, and OPA earth for headphone is better, cos earth receive the blessing from sun.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #5,140 of 9,388
Quote:

To replace the NE 5532, u need two unit of the same one. Either 2xOPA earth or 2xOPA Sun, all dual output type (more expansive).

Since u still have 1 day before buy 1 free 1, u might as well get 1 pair and get 1 pair free.

I think OPA sun for DAC, and OPA earth for headphone is better, cos earth receive the blessing from sun.

thanks a lot!

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #5,141 of 9,388
To promote the use of OPA range of products to the ZERO community, the designer has decided to extend the free 1 to 1 offer until 31st Aug. 2008. For any number of OPA Sun/earth purchase,d the same number of OPA Earth is free. Man, how to beat the price.

Here is my initial setup, still untidy.

Edited : Free OPA Sun/Earth - OPA Sun deleted.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #5,142 of 9,388
Quote:

To promote the use of OPA range of products to the ZERO community, the designer has decided to extend the free 1 to 1 offer until 31st Aug. 2008. For any number of OPA Sun purchase, the same number of OPA earth is free. Man, how to beat the price.

Here is my initial setup, still untidy.

I take it thats sitting in the opamp socket without any extra wiring?

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #5,143 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBuLLeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been looking through this thread where to get the free samples and can't find exactly where at or which one. Can anyone help me out. Linear.com has 3 different lt1364 so which one do I get also got the same question for the LM4562 from national.com. Thanks in advance for anything to help someone so confused.

LT1364CS8 and MDIP LM4562NA

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #5,144 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it thats sitting in the opamp socket without any extra wiring?

That was me trying to have a quick listening. I never close my casing as I dont think I need too. The zero sits inside the cabinet and it is good cooling too.

this is the cable attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back