Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 1, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #4,741 of 9,388
My headphones are 600ohm, and the Zero is capable of driving them plenty loud enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #4,742 of 9,388
Well, I just have to say that I am really enjoying my Zero with the HD650s I got yesterday. I was really skeptical about their synergy, but I can't take those phones off my ears! Thanks everyone for all the info on this thread.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #4,744 of 9,388
I will be purchasing the Zero For a first amp is the 30$ extra dollars worth it to get the upgraded version from Lawrence or just get the one for 111+40 on ebay?

I am using this as a headphone AMP/DAC for my Xbox mostly for gaming and as an AMP for X-Fi for MP3 and Gaming from my PC.

I am not an audiophile just enjoy good music loud and I am pretty hardcore about gaming and positional audio.

Carter

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #4,745 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be purchasing the Zero For a first amp is the 30$ extra dollars worth it to get the upgraded version from Lawrence or just get the one for 111+40 on ebay?

I am using this as a headphone AMP/DAC for my Xbox mostly for gaming and as an AMP for X-Fi for MP3 and Gaming from my PC.

I am not an audiophile just enjoy good music loud and I am pretty hardcore about gaming and positional audio.

Carter

It does not cost money to get the upgrades from Lawrence, just email him and say you want the head-fi deal and he will send you a paypal invoice of 180 dollars.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #4,746 of 9,388
So i guess i will be the first to break the good news.

The HDAM challenger has arrived at a fraction of the costs.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #4,747 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i guess i will be the first to break the good news.

The HDAM challenger has arrived at a fraction of the costs.

Yep, good news for sure, but do you have any further details ?

Can't wait for a cook-off between them
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #4,748 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garret Jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my Zero DAC from Lawrence. Ordered it July 20, received it August 1; not bad!

I am using the Zero with a new set of HD-650's, so I need to give them 100 hours or so to burn in. I have a question: Is there a switch to alter the Zero for different impedence levels on headphones? I know the HD-650 is a 300 Ohm beast, and the Zero is so far capable of driving it louder than I care to listen, but for some reason I thought there might be a switch or something to set. Sup?

Nope. No switch. Just plug in and enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #4,749 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny thing is I had the Little Dot MKIII and the headphone amp that comes with the Zero dac can power my hd650's twice the level my little dot mkIII ever could.

What did you have the MKIII's gain set at? I've got mine on 10, and I can't turn it past 10:00 without blowing out my ears! That's with feeding it from the Zero at line level.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #4,750 of 9,388
Hey Penchum in my budget setup the Zero > Little Dot II+ > D2000s sound so good! I can only imagine what the other higher Little Dot Amps can do.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #4,751 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Penchum in my budget setup the Zero > Little Dot II+ > D2000s sound so good! I can only imagine what the other higher Little Dot Amps can do.

Ow, I hear ya! The interesting thing is, you are getting serious amounts of quality sound, for so little money! It's like a special holiday season or something!
smily_headphones1.gif
Enjoy the rig and the music!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #4,753 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ianp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, good news for sure, but do you have any further details ?

Can't wait for a cook-off between them
smily_headphones1.gif

Well it goes like this.. He come out with Earth and Sun. By the name, Earth is more neutral and Sun is more dynamic, full of life.

The costs is Less than USD 30 per piece with dual output. Just paid for Earth and Sun, will wait for item to aarive. Gosh, it just make the OPA 2604 bite the dust.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #4,754 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it goes like this.. He come out with Earth and Sun. By the name, Earth is more neutral and Sun is more dynamic, full of life.

The costs is Less than USD 30 per piece with dual output. Just paid for Earth and Sun, will wait for item to aarive. Gosh, it just make the OPA 2604 bite the dust.

huh???
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #4,755 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does not cost money to get the upgrades from Lawrence, just email him and say you want the head-fi deal and he will send you a paypal invoice of 180 dollars.

I dont think I phrased my question right. What is the difference from the 180$ version that you get from lawrence and the 151$ version on Ebay right now? And is the difference worth the 29$. Sorry if this is a dumb question just new to the AMP world is all.

Carter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back