Jul 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #4,711 of 9,388
Noted boodi.......
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #4,712 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by katanka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone ?

The 49710 is a single so you'll need 2 on an adapter....Why not get the 49720 which is the same opamp in a dual format so you'll only need one with no adapter....

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #4,713 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 49710 is a single so you'll need 2 on an adapter....Why not get the 49720 which is the same opamp in a dual format so you'll only need one with no adapter....

Ye , I realize that now. I just got these from someone, so i wanted to try them, but as you and PP have said they are single, i was just making sure. So i ordered some brown dog adapters. Just wanna try em out. What i really want is the HDAM. Can't wait for lawrence to get some soon
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #4,715 of 9,388
What is the UI on the zero amp? Is it a very basic one where you can only change the volume and input or does it have more advanced options by passing a combination of the buttons? Also is the zero manual available online?

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #4,716 of 9,388
It's only an amplifier for the DAC itself. You cannot select an outside source, unless it is a digital one converted to audio by the DAC.

~Phewl.

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #4,718 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody else getting the problem while using the headphone amp of the Zero with the sound coming from the right side louder than the left but then as you turn the volume up more the sound balances out?

Do you have the stock volume pot E ? That's a drawback to a cheap one...the Alps upgrade pot is better balanced...it doesn't matter to me since I don't use H/Amp all that often.....one note...the imbalance should only be noticeable at the lowest volume settings...if it 's happening at regular listening volumes the pot needs to be changed....

Peete.

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #4,719 of 9,388
Phew just got through snipping out the 220pf caps...decided to install some hi quality rhodium plated RCA jacks while I was at it.....using the stock holes....wow was that a major pain in the arse........it's back together for good, the only way to pull the pcb now is to unsolder the + leads on L/R jacks.... or remove the whole back end panel..........got the extension from Lawrence for the HDAM....now I can put the cover back on
smily_headphones1.gif

She works !!!! Treble is a better, snare has sharper snap......cymbals have regained some body and sheen.....nice..thanks ianp for that link
smily_headphones1.gif

Yay..
biggrin.gif
.....small things bring me joy
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #4,720 of 9,388
I think it's worth pointing out that the removal of the capacitors next to the RCA sockets is unlikely to yield any difference to those using the built-in headphone amplifier. The capacitors are too far down the signal path, it's already been to the headphone/pre amplifier and is ready to exit the machine.

~Phewl.

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #4,721 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have the stock volume pot E ? That's a drawback to a cheap one...the Alps upgrade pot is better balanced...it doesn't matter to me since I don't use H/Amp all that often.....one note...the imbalance should only be noticeable at the lowest volume settings...if it 's happening at regular listening volumes the pot needs to be changed....

Peete.

Yes this is happening only at very low volumes. Not sure what kind of pot I have, it has a white sticker with blue lettering over it saying "SONG" and it is labeled B100K. Any chance you know where I can buy the upgraded pot?

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #4,722 of 9,388
Enthusia......Lawrence...if he has any in stock....

AP.....absolutely right....I just use mine in DAC line level out mode so the elimination of these has helped a tiny tiny bit..my ears are used to picking things out right away (been at it for ages and ages like Pench)
smily_headphones1.gif

The quality rca jacks may be responsible for the lions share of the slight improvement mentioned previously. Used some nice silver plated copper hook up wire for the RCA's to pcb...very very short lengths..which is why it was such a major PITA to install the jacks using the stock holes....
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone contemplating swapping out the jacks for better quality ones, do yourself a huge favor and drill new holes for them...not worth the trouble doing it the way I did...plus it's a very tight squeeze between the bottom R jack and the pcb....I added some Teflon tubing to the hook up wire to give it extra protection when I soldered in the + connections....worked out nicely but took way longer than it should have.

Peete.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #4,723 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent page ianp !!!....thanks for the link....like you I'm learning as I go....always learning ....lately I've been really pushing the info curve into my noggin...such that the ole brain sometimes does one of these
confused_face(1).gif
then the light bulb either comes on or blows
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Same here. About 20+ years ago I could read and understand electronic circuits. These days I have to start from scratch and do everything from first principles.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #4,724 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been Watchin ghte for sale for a while now and i was the Second PM on the last 2 Zero's
frown.gif

Subscribe to the 'for sale' forums RSS feeds and monitor like a hawk !

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #4,725 of 9,388
Got my LT1364s in today, and all I gotta say after only 45 minutes of listening:

Zero + LT1364s + 627 > D2000s = HOLY WOW!!!!!!!!!!1111

The LT1364s really clean up the D2000s highs. Before with the stock 5532s the D2000s could be a little sibilant, but now wow I am not bothered at all even when turning up the volume higher. Thank you guys for the great recommendation! And thanks again Penchum for starting this whole Zero DAC craze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back