Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 31, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #4,696 of 9,388
so which are the best opas other then the 627s for the zero ?
I don't like burr brown sound as even if iper refined ( good ) is not that snappy and fun ( bad ), it also makes me miss bits of p.r.a.t.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #4,698 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phewl, I can only speak from what I've experienced; I bought an OPA627 set from Lawrence, which arrived faulty. I sent it back to him and he sent me another pair, which appears to have been lost in transit. He's sending me a third replacement set now. Communication have always been consistent and pleasant and still is. Other dealings I've had with him have been smooth (I bought my Zero and HDAM from him). I can't comment on your situation and I know this is probably of no consolation to you; but I do hope that Lawrence makes good and takes care of your issue.

EDIT: Just adding: my last exchange with Lawrence was on the 29th.

Thanks for your input, and for updating tha last time someone had contact with him
smily_headphones1.gif
. It's disheartening to know that he is choosing to ignore me rather than work to resolve the issues with the faulty unit
frown.gif

He hasn't even given me a return address to mail the faulty unit back to
frown.gif

~Phewl.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #4,699 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sometimes people sell them in the for sale forum, keep your eyes open and you might get a good deal. Ebay is the only place i know of where to buy them. I am also on the verge of buying one of these.

I have been Watchin ghte for sale for a while now and i was the Second PM on the last 2 Zero's
frown.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #4,700 of 9,388
What is better: Creative E-MU 0404 USB or Upgraded ZERO DAC or Audiotrak Dr.Dac2? In terms of sound quality of course. Computer as a source, Denon AH-D2000 headphones(very low impedance).

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #4,701 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so which are the best opas other then the 627s for the zero ?
I don't like burr brown sound as even if iper refined ( good ) is not that snappy and fun ( bad ), it also makes me miss bits of p.r.a.t.

Take a look at the last pages of the review, many are listed there. The LT1364 sounds nice in the DAC, but you'll need to put a stick-on cooler on it, to keep it cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #4,702 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a better way to purchase one of these than through ebay? I read a few few posts in this thread about a Head-Fi Deal but I couldnt find any details in the 480+ pages.

I am looking for my dirst DAC/AMP and I am sold on the Zero.

Look 3 pages back, here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ml#post4541379

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #4,703 of 9,388
Ok, I picked up a Zero and it showed up yesterday.
smile_phones.gif
I am planing on using this as my desktop dac and amp for the time being (I will get a better amp at a later time). My current headphones are HD580's and K501's (this can change real fast as we all know
biggrin.gif
). Anyways this thread is huge and I have been browsing it for more then two hours looking for some insight and finally decided to just ask. I would like to change out the opamps but am unsure about which ones to get and where to buy them. If anyone has a set that works real well with the 580's and knows where to buy them that would be awesome. Also is there a nice walk through (with pics) on what chips to change out and how to install the new ones.

Jul 31, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #4,704 of 9,388
So I'm having an interesting problem.. My zero doesn't like 96khz or 192khz at all! 44khz and 48khz play perfectly but attempting the upper two just results in snap, crackle and pop. I'm using a toslink optical connection to my Zero, and of course PCM and nothing extra. Any ideas? Maybe replacing DAC opamp could fix this?

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #4,705 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ianp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm at my limit of electrical knowledge here, so am really just leveraging the site owners pages, which is the only reason I mentioned they were and Elec Eng. This page may give you an answer to your question.

Excellent page ianp !!!....thanks for the link....like you I'm learning as I go....always learning ....lately I've been really pushing the info curve into my noggin...such that the ole brain sometimes does one of these
confused_face(1).gif
then the light bulb either comes on or blows
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #4,707 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by katanka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone ?

Google it...if it's a dual channel chip then no adapter, if it's a single channel..then it needs a brown dog.....

Peete.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #4,708 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm having an interesting problem.. My zero doesn't like 96khz or 192khz at all! 44khz and 48khz play perfectly but attempting the upper two just results in snap, crackle and pop. I'm using a toslink optical connection to my Zero, and of course PCM and nothing extra. Any ideas? Maybe replacing DAC opamp could fix this?

Have a look at your sound card settings...something might be setting an upper limit at 48khz sample rate...my Auzen card can output 24/96 pcm and the zero takes it without issue. That's the limit though for the Auzen card so I can't test 24/192...others have with other sc's and it works I seem to recall...so check out your computer sound card specs and update your drivers for it....

Peete.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #4,709 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I picked up a Zero and it showed up yesterday.
smile_phones.gif
I am planing on using this as my desktop dac and amp for the time being (I will get a better amp at a later time). My current headphones are HD580's and K501's (this can change real fast as we all know
biggrin.gif
). Anyways this thread is huge and I have been browsing it for more then two hours looking for some insight and finally decided to just ask. I would like to change out the opamps but am unsure about which ones to get and where to buy them. If anyone has a set that works real well with the 580's and knows where to buy them that would be awesome. Also is there a nice walk through (with pics) on what chips to change out and how to install the new ones.

Opamp rolling results for quite a few types are on page 1 in Penchum's review....just scroll down and read it...

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back