Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 31, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #4,681 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry Penchum if I came across like a bit of an a'hole. I'm in the middle of a blazing row with my manic-depressive sister via SMS.

I'm not in the greatest of moods right now.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just wish "Lawrence" would get in touch about it, it's doing my head in now.
frown.gif

~Phewl.

No problem AP,

Those of us with "life" issues, know exactly how it can get.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hang in there bro. Ow, and do those cold ones!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #4,684 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking the same thing, I found the 360uf / 6.3v on ebay, I doubt there would be any big differences between those two capacitors.

In case you haven't read the authors .doc on the lampizator, allow me to quote him on the selection of parts:

Quote:

The parts selection is not critical. I do not believe in premium parts. Decent electronic parts which hold the specs should do. I also urge everyone to substitute parts for near values.
If you see a 47 uF capacitor in the schematics, do not spend days shopping for it if you happen to have a larger one in your drawer. A bigger capacitor is 9 out of 10 times a better capacitor. Bigger voltage ratings are always better. And so on. use rational reason to choose similar parts. Resistors can be connected in series or paralell to get right value. A +/- 25% value will always do, no matter what circuit.

NB - Best to double-check the current uF and V to make sure replacement parts are OK.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #4,685 of 9,388
Is there a better way to purchase one of these than through ebay? I read a few few posts in this thread about a Head-Fi Deal but I couldnt find any details in the 480+ pages.

I am looking for my dirst DAC/AMP and I am sold on the Zero.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #4,686 of 9,388
Quote:

Are these capacitors in the signal path, or do they tie it to ground? If the signal passes through them, then removing them would terminate the audio signal(if they weren't bridged).

Just curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Hi AP and ianp,

Aren't those 220pf caps there for scrubbing any dc offset in the signal ? Have you measured what that offset might be ? If I'm wrong than disregard..

I've replaced mine with 220pf 200V 5% dipped silver micas but now that I see this I'm also wanting to take the darn things out of the circuit altogether.....just want make sure no offset makes it to the amp or preamp...

Thanks...

Peete.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #4,687 of 9,388
How difficult would it be to use a 6H30PI instead of the 6N6P in the Lampizator mod...? I asked this earlier on but no one had an answer...yet
wink.gif

Peete.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #4,688 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a better way to purchase one of these than through ebay? I read a few few posts in this thread about a Head-Fi Deal but I couldnt find any details in the 480+ pages.

If you send Lawrence an email who is known as Biglawhk on ebay and say you are from head-fi, he will send you a paypal invoice of 180 dollars.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #4,689 of 9,388
Quote:

Buy direct using paypal...email the prospective vendor of choice....that's it other than the usual BIN eBay method...

Peete.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #4,690 of 9,388
Quote:

sometimes people sell them in the for sale forum, keep your eyes open and you might get a good deal. Ebay is the only place i know of where to buy them. I am also on the verge of buying one of these.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #4,691 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi AP and ianp,

Aren't those 220pf caps there for scrubbing any dc offset in the signal ? Have you measured what that offset might be ? If I'm wrong than disregard..

I've replaced mine with 220pf 200V 5% dipped silver micas but now that I see this I'm also wanting to take the darn things out of the circuit altogether.....just want make sure no offset makes it to the amp or preamp...

Thanks...

Peete.

I may be wrong but I think they have to be in series to remove DC offset. I kind of figured that the lampizator has thought of that as he is an electrical engineer and has been tweaking things for quite a while. If in doubt leave well alone.

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #4,692 of 9,388
Thanks ianp....I'm not doubting anyones credentials...Just wondered what the little caps are actually doing. I'll snip mine out and have a listen....what is there purpose in the stock circuit ian....any info will be appreciated.....
smile_phones.gif

Regards,

Peete.

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #4,693 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks ianp....I'm not doubting anyones credentials...Just wondered what the little caps are actually doing. I'll snip mine out and have a listen....what is there purpose in the stock circuit ian....any info will be appreciated.....
smile_phones.gif

Regards,

Peete.

I'm at my limit of electrical knowledge here, so am really just leveraging the site owners pages, which is the only reason I mentioned they were and Elec Eng. This page may give you an answer to your question.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #4,694 of 9,388
Quote:

So are we now thinking that he spoke with Oya on the 28th? Yet you pheel(spot the pun
wink.gif
confident that he'll take care of my problems, despite me hearing nothing since 3am on 25th?

I do wonder how confident you'd be if it were your money, or your unit which was faulty. His behaviour toward me is, quite frankly, bloody lousy at the moment.

~Phewl.

Phewl, I can only speak from what I've experienced; I bought an OPA627 set from Lawrence, which arrived faulty. I sent it back to him and he sent me another pair, which appears to have been lost in transit. He's sending me a third replacement set now. Communication have always been consistent and pleasant and still is. Other dealings I've had with him have been smooth (I bought my Zero and HDAM from him). I can't comment on your situation and I know this is probably of no consolation to you; but I do hope that Lawrence makes good and takes care of your issue.

EDIT: Just adding: my last exchange with Lawrence was on the 29th.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #4,695 of 9,388
today i payed my 180$ invoice...i'll join the zero owner's club soon
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back