Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 16, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #4,278 of 9,388
Well that's up to you Bullet, ask Lawrence when he thinks he can ship the whole package that you would like. It's most likely not a long wait.

IMHO it's worth waiting for since the SQ and price are hard to beat.

Peete.

PS I'm hitting the sack, Jack....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #4,279 of 9,388
Anyone of you run a tube amp placed on top of the zero? am wondering if both or either could somehow be damaged by the heat...

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #4,280 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It appears the cable will be included with the HDAM, but I don't have clarification of this yet. I'm waiting for his reply on this.
smily_headphones1.gif

I ordered an HDAM last week and asked about the possibility of Lawrence making/supplying an extension cable. I got an email on saturday indicating the cable was available and with the 2 photos posted here. There was no additional charge for the cable, it was simply included in the $80 shipped price tag for the HDAM which is pretty damn good of him and reinforces the fact that he is a good guy to do business with.

When people order HDAMs from Lawrence they should probably explicitly mention the extension cable just to be on the safe side.

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #4,281 of 9,388
A question to ZERO owners.
I am considering getting one and hooking it up to my soundcards' spdif out.
Has anyone tried such a combo and can say what kind of quality I can expect?
Will I need any additional parts for the setup (optical cable , spdif/optical adapter etc)?

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #4,282 of 9,388
If your sound card already has spdif out then you just use the supplied optical cable and plug that into the optical input of the Zero DAC. No additional parts needed.

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #4,283 of 9,388
The Audigy 2 ZS has 3.5" spdif out I think.
I guess I will only need 3.5" to toslink then right?

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #4,284 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Audigy 2 ZS has 3.5" spdif out I think.
I guess I will only need 3.5" to toslink then right?

I'm confused. Is your spdif digital coax? Or is it optical?

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #4,285 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 male RCA to 2 female RCA per channel Y-adapter's am I correct Steph ?

Here's a link to a parts supplier in the USA that has what your looking for, well built and for reasonable cost....two versions to choose from...

first up

Parts Express:Gold RCA Y (1) Male To (2) Right Angle Female Black

Second, a traditional Y splitter

Parts Expressayton RCAY-MFF RCA Y Cable 1 M To 2 F

and the inverse of that last one (for connection flexibility)

Parts Expressayton RCAY-FMM RCA Y Cable 1 F To 2 M

Hope that helps Steph
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS I didn't put the smilies in the links...the page did...too funny
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers Peete

That was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks
Steph

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #4,287 of 9,388
I just ordered upgraded zero, so sad Lawrence have no more better pod's , i think i can live withnout it
wink.gif

i will use it with my pc. Audigy 4 spdif + coaxial cable. + Aurvana live with grado cable and hd 25.

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #4,288 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I am not sure.
I think it can be both but it probably will require this thing :
Sound Blaster Digital I/O Module - Add optical and coaxial digital I/O to your Sound Blaster equipped PC.

If yours is the flexi-jack, you need a "mono" 3.5 mini to RCA adapter and a good coaxial cable. Radio Shake has these.

If your's has optical out of a 3.5, there is a small plastic (usually) toslink adapter, that has the optical female end and a 3.5" mini plug end. They are cheapo for sure, but work great. Do a search for toslink adapter or check your local Radio Shake. Mine came with a cable I bought years ago at Walmart.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #4,289 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone of you run a tube amp placed on top of the zero? am wondering if both or either could somehow be damaged by the heat...

I put my MKV on top of the ZERO and it got very warm from the heat.. Since I'd got my arrangement annoyingly perfectly, I just put a slow 120mm fan next to them and all is now fine.

I'm glad to find now that Lawrence is selling a good quality extension cable with the HDAM. That makes it a definitely upgrade for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back