Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 15, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #4,261 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by pincellone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I was nice enough. I didn't say anything bad neither to Lawrence nor to you... I would definitely buy you a couple of beers if I could
tongue.gif

And I would gladly drink them and toast to your good health! My Doctor might get mad about it, but that's another story.
smily_headphones1.gif

You were being nice and I was trying to put a funny spin on it, that's all.
smily_headphones1.gif

The rest was more clarification of what is really in front of us. If I thought for one second that Lawrence was using the membership to become a rich man, I would raise the awareness flag to full staff! Thank goodness he's an audiophile who knows what people are looking for, and provides a much needed service at a ridiculously low cost. I really do hope it stays this way, because more products will surface that fit the "best bang for the buck" criteria, and I'd feel even better if I could purchase them from a seller like Lawrence.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #4,262 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick question, I have been in to many audio stores in london and quite a few maplin stores and no one seems to be able to help me with regards to a splitter so I can split the signal from my zero to my darkvoice and my hifi. I am looking for either an adapter or a cable which goes into the back of the zero (analogue out-red/white) and gives me two outputs (2 sets of red/white). I have seen something like this in adapter form on the darkvoice 332 first page, unfortunately the pictures do not seem to load anymore.

Does anyone own anything like this and if so where can I get one from?

Thanks
Steph

1 male RCA to 2 female RCA per channel Y-adapter's am I correct Steph ?

Here's a link to a parts supplier in the USA that has what your looking for, well built and for reasonable cost....two versions to choose from...

first up

Parts Express:Gold RCA Y (1) Male To (2) Right Angle Female Black

Second, a traditional Y splitter

Parts Expressayton RCAY-MFF RCA Y Cable 1 M To 2 F

and the inverse of that last one (for connection flexibility)

Parts Expressayton RCAY-FMM RCA Y Cable 1 F To 2 M

Hope that helps Steph
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS I didn't put the smilies in the links...the page did...too funny
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #4,263 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBuLLeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all, where would be the best place to order this Zero Amp?

Go to eBay insert "Zero DAC" in search section, when you locate the seller "biglawhk" you've landed on Lawrence Chan's store front.

Tell him your a head fi member to get the upgraded opamp deal from him.

Peete.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #4,265 of 9,388
Head Fi members get OPA627AU and LT1364 opamps pre installed. No need to opamp swap unless you want to. The original opamps leave quite a bit to be desired as far as SQ goes...(OPA2604 and N5532...).

That's pretty much it, other than the oft mentioned HDAM and Alps pot options at time of purchase (or purchase later if your inclined to wait or are perfectly happy with the stock Head Fi model). The Alps pot upgrade is 10 dollars more and the HDAM is 80.

That's the entire picture.

Peete.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #4,266 of 9,388
Well I read your mini review on the HDAM but I don't remember reading if you think its worth the price for the performance increase. Do you think its worth the upgrade for the extra 90 dollars? Your review did want me to get the alps pot upgrade and the HDAm upgrades but I just want to make sure that its worth it.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #4,267 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The volume pots Lawrence is selling (if he has any left) are NOS units. The metal face plate is completely different than the new ones in that link. The worry, is the space for it to fit in. If you go back and look at the pics I took, you'll see a cap right up against the right (back) side of the pot. I wish someone would strip down one of the new pots and try to get it to fit in that space. If it worked, that would be great, however, from the measurements shown in the newer pot pics, it doesn't look promising. I've done two of these pot upgrades and both were a tight fit, but they work. For $10, it's a bargain for those ordering a new Zero IMHO.

Thank you for the info.
smily_headphones1.gif
I probably should check if he has any left; better buy one now even if I don't plan to install it right away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ground wire (on the HDAM) is an extra, if you have hum, then connect to nearest pcb ground point, if you don't have hum don't connect it...that's it.

Thanks! It was bothering me because I just wanted to plug and play.
biggrin.gif
(I don't have a soldering iron)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't it refreshing to have the ear of the actual manufacturer of a product you wish to buy or already own, supporting his customers as configuration and upgrades filter back to said manufacturer from end users and vice versa.

As far as profiteering is concerned, most of the upgrades have free accessories, hardly profitable for Lawrence. He didn't have to make an HDAM jumper did he....looks like it's going to be offered free of charge to those that have bought an HDAM from him. Where's the profit in that ? He offers a deal to head fi members (upgraded opamps) at the same price including shipping that the earlier version sold for. Where's the profit in that ? I'd gladly give him 10 bucks for that harness, it takes time to build, time is money is is not ?
Yep, I'm suspicious of Lawrence's evil grand plan alright
biggrin.gif

I was going to inquire about making a soft adapter after I bought the HDAM, so I was really, really surprised when he was willing to include an adapter. I imagine that others have inquired about it as well, or he's looked into it himself. Which just shows that he cares.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #4,268 of 9,388
My conclusion was an unequivocal "Yes" towards the HDAM being worth the coin. The Alps for 10 is a no brainer...I don't use the headphone amp on my Zero so I didn't bother with that as stated in the review (although it was tested).

Hope that helps clear things up a little
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #4,269 of 9,388
Agreed OYA !! He does care, which is great in this day and age
smily_headphones1.gif

I just shrunk wrap that extra wire (doubled up) with some 1/8 in red 3 to 1 shrink wrap. Looks like a tail
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS I have to pop out to the store...I'll be back in 30 minutes
smily_headphones1.gif

Rode the bike...2 mile round trip in less that 5 minutes ...not bad for an old fart
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #4,270 of 9,388
Alright that makes my choice even easier. As soon as I get a respond from Lawrence I will purchase it with the HDAM and the Alps. Thanks Pricklely Peete! Sorry for the questions its just that I am new to Head-Fi so I got plenty of amateur questions.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #4,271 of 9,388
No problem Bullet...glad to help. Make sure you ask for the HDAM extension harness when you order
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #4,273 of 9,388
Yep, sounds good. Mention Head Fi member deal if I haven't already said so....the harness comes free ( I think, not 100% sure of that yet) with the HDAM purchase. This is a brand new item so it may be sent later on....Lawrence will give you the details pretty soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #4,274 of 9,388
I forgot to ask, Bullet...what cans and source are you planning on using with the Zero ?

Peete.

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #4,275 of 9,388
Well right now I just have some Sr60's but my next purchase is going to be k701's or d2000's. I am new to these head-fi stuff but I am already addicted...as a source I have a Zune, Ipod, and PC(ac-1 sound card).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back