Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 15, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #4,246 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got an email from Lawrence, telling me of a new deal he has going for HeadFi members. I was inquiring about the price of a new Zero for my second analog stack and here is what he said:

"If you have a chance, please let the forum members know my new offer.
I'll like to sell Zero at $139 together with the opamp upgrades that is 1 module OPA627AU in the analog section and 2pcs LT1364 in the headamp section."

So there you have it. A Zero with a great Opamp combo already combined!
If you have questions, email Lawrence at lawrencechanbig@msn.com

Here's Penchum's post (back on page 421) stating the new deal from Lawrence.

Peete.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #4,247 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Peete.

Thank you very much.
smily_headphones1.gif
Too bad I missed out on that; I was wondering how the LT1364s would've compared to AD8620s in the headamp.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #4,248 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Peete.

Ok sweet. So is the HDAM the socket like setup so that you can easily swap your own? or is that something else?

Sorry for my ignorance, this will be my first amp... hopefully it will do nice things to my ATH-A900LTDs

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #4,249 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok sweet. So is the HDAM the socket like setup so that you can easily swap your own? or is that something else?

Sorry for my ignorance, this will be my first amp... hopefully it will do nice things to my ATH-A900LTDs

Here's a photo that Lawrence emailed me (I hope he doesn't mind if I post it).
smily_headphones1.gif
You can see that it plugs straight into an IC socket, or you can solder it right to the board, but here it's got an extension cable adaptor because the Zero's chassis is too small to house the HDAM standing upright.

hdamextensioncableyy8.jpg

And some more pics posted earlier in the thread here.

Slightly OT; I have a newbish question to HDAM users... I have to solder that ground wire somewhere right? Where's an ideal spot?

Another OT question; what is that hideous foam that Lawrence always photographs his stuff on?
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #4,250 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
You can see that it plugs straight into an IC socket, or you can solder it right to the board, but here it's got an extension cable adaptor because the Zero's chassis is too small to house the HDAM standing upright.

[.IMG]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3949/hdamextensioncableyy8.jpg[/IMG]

Slightly OT; I have a newbish question to HDAM users... I have to solder that ground wire somewhere right? Where's an ideal spot?

Another OT question; what is that hideous foam that Lawrence always photographs his stuff on?
biggrin.gif

Ah ok, cool. So what is the advantage of the HDAM?

The foam is more than likely just standard anti-static computer/electronics phone. You get it along with motherboards, and sometimes things like soundcards and what not. Its pretty common in places that they solder or deal with lots of components. I actually use it to solder on or at least a place to lay parts rather than just on the wood of my desk.

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #4,251 of 9,388
Quote:

EDIT: After re-reading Penchy's original post RE the pot upgrade w/ pics, turns out that I missed the discussion about the model type. It's just a standard ALPS 100KAX2, with the housing stripped and a small metal protrusion clipped off.

I thought so, but the good ol' Pench disagrees with that...

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #4,252 of 9,388
Quote:

Haha, nah Penchum isn't affiliated with him. I don't think Lawrence himself posts on here, although it looks like he deals with lots of Head-Fiers.

Why not? After soo many posts mentioning his name and products, do you really believe he is not even following this thread?

Our discussions may lead to further profits for him... just think about it...

Needless to say, I'm a satisfied customer of him, but I like to keep my feet on the ground...

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #4,253 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah ok, cool. So what is the advantage of the HDAM?

It's a discrete circuit module as opposed to an integrated circuit op-amp. Supposedly superior to adapter mounted OPA627s (and all other IC op-amps). I can't comment because I haven't received mine yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pincellone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not? After soo many posts mentioning his name and products, do you really believe he is not even following this thread?

Needless to say, I'm a satisfied customer of him, but I like to keep my feet on the ground...

He may not post here but he's quite familiar with us. It looks like he offers special deals to Head-Fiers here and there to show his appreciation, which is nice.

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #4,254 of 9,388
Quote:

I thought so, but the good ol' Pench disagrees with that...

Quote:

Please be nice to me pincellone, I'm very sensitive today.
biggrin.gif

The volume pots Lawrence is selling (if he has any left) are NOS units. The metal face plate is completely different than the new ones in that link. The worry, is the space for it to fit in. If you go back and look at the pics I took, you'll see a cap right up against the right (back) side of the pot. I wish someone would strip down one of the new pots and try to get it to fit in that space. If it worked, that would be great, however, from the measurements shown in the newer pot pics, it doesn't look promising. I've done two of these pot upgrades and both were a tight fit, but they work. For $10, it's a bargain for those ordering a new Zero IMHO.

Back in Nov-Dec last year, other sellers of the Zero were screwing over buyers of the Zero. Take the money and run kind of stuff. Lawrence was the only one who came through it all as a trusted seller. Since then, he's improved his offerings and done some really nice things for HeadFi members who can't find upgrades easy or don't have the skills to do the upgrades themselves. Being responsive to his customers isn't a bad thing. If he were directly involved in HeadFi (like many are here) then it might represent a problem in some way. Instead, he's watched his emails from customers and found ways to help them out, which has resulted in automatic upgrades to the stock Zero unit coming from him directly. I find that refreshing.

There is much interest in simple upgrades to the Zero and so far, Lawrence and one other seller are the only ones who have stepped up and provided any upgrades. I would love it if other sellers stepped up, but it appears that most of the others just want to sell the stock unit and nothing else. It is easy to see why many members buy from Lawrence. He's the only trusted seller offering choices on upgrades, and doing the upgrade work before shipping the units out.

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #4,255 of 9,388
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

hdamextensioncableyy8.jpg

biggrin.gif

That's a nice solution for those that wish to keep their lids on
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll have to ask Lawrence if he'll sell me one if I tire of the naked look
biggrin.gif

The ground wire (on the HDAM) is an extra, if you have hum, then connect to nearest pcb ground point, if you don't have hum don't connect it...that's it.

Peete.

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #4,256 of 9,388
I received an email from Lawrence yesterday. He told me about a cable for the HDAM he is selling, but I don't know the cable price (if there is one). Here is the pic he sent along with instructions for those folks who have already purchased the HDAM from him:

HDAMextensioncable1.jpg

"The HDAM extension cable is available as in the pics, it is made of 5N pure copper cable.

Please post a message to the forum members who using my HDAM and want this cable, please email me .

It is free of charge for them."

It appears the cable will be included with the HDAM, but I don't have clarification of this yet. I'm waiting for his reply on this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #4,257 of 9,388
Quote:

Ok I've thought about it and this is what I've come up with....

Isn't it refreshing to have the ear of the actual manufacturer of a product you wish to buy or already own, supporting his customers as configuration and upgrades filter back to said manufacturer from end users and vice versa.

As far as profiteering is concerned, most of the upgrades have free accessories, hardly profitable for Lawrence. He didn't have to make an HDAM jumper did he....looks like it's going to be offered free of charge to those that have bought an HDAM from him. Where's the profit in that ? He offers a deal to head fi members (upgraded opamps) at the same price including shipping that the earlier version sold for. Where's the profit in that ? I'd gladly give him 10 bucks for that harness, it takes time to build, time is money is is not ?
Yep, I'm suspicious of Lawrence's evil grand plan alright
biggrin.gif

All kidding aside.................

Having one's feet firmly planted on the ground is a personal issue, requiring one to investigate one's purchases weighing the options before buying that item. The Zero sold through Lawrence is as transparent a buy as I can see outside of David and Sword at Little Dot. I'd have to say both Mr Chan and LD have customer service down to a science and it only serves the end user of their products as it should. This isn't a rant against your point of view just another take on what I see when confronted with all the facts (with regards to Lawrence and his Zero).

In other words have those feet planted firmly, no one is saying otherwise, just don't bury your head 12 inches below those planted feet. !!!

Peete.

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #4,258 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please be nice to me pincellone, I'm very sensitive today.
biggrin.gif

The volume pots Lawrence is selling (if he has any left) are NOS units. The metal face plate is completely different than the new ones in that link. The worry, is the space for it to fit in. If you go back and look at the pics I took, you'll see a cap right up against the right (back) side of the pot. I wish someone would strip down one of the new pots and try to get it to fit in that space. If it worked, that would be great, however, from the measurements shown in the newer pot pics, it doesn't look promising. I've done two of these pot upgrades and both were a tight fit, but they work. For $10, it's a bargain for those ordering a new Zero IMHO.

Back in Nov-Dec last year, other sellers of the Zero were screwing over buyers of the Zero. Take the money and run kind of stuff. Lawrence was the only one who came through it all as a trusted seller. Since then, he's improved his offerings and done some really nice things for HeadFi members who can't find upgrades easy or don't have the skills to do the upgrades themselves. Being responsive to his customers isn't a bad thing. If he were directly involved in HeadFi (like many are here) then it might represent a problem in some way. Instead, he's watched his emails from customers and found ways to help them out, which has resulted in automatic upgrades to the stock Zero unit coming from him directly. I find that refreshing.

There is much interest in simple upgrades to the Zero and so far, Lawrence and one other seller are the only ones who have stepped up and provided any upgrades. I would love it if other sellers stepped up, but it appears that most of the others just want to sell the stock unit and nothing else. It is easy to see why many members buy from Lawrence. He's the only trusted seller offering choices on upgrades, and doing the upgrade work before shipping the units out.

I think I was nice enough. I didn't say anything bad neither to Lawrence nor to you... I would definitely buy you a couple of beers if I could
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #4,259 of 9,388
Just a quick question, I have been in to many audio stores in london and quite a few maplin stores and no one seems to be able to help me with regards to a splitter so I can split the signal from my zero to my darkvoice and my hifi. I am looking for either an adapter or a cable which goes into the back of the zero (analogue out-red/white) and gives me two outputs (2 sets of red/white). I have seen something like this in adapter form on the darkvoice 332 first page, unfortunately the pictures do not seem to load anymore.

Does anyone own anything like this and if so where can I get one from?

Thanks
Steph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back