Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
May 11, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #2,866 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
surely an addition of a separate amp ( LD mk5, for example) would yield more benefit than this "hdam" mod!?!?
please tell me it would!
confused.gif

The Zero to MKV is a proven combination, so I wouldn't worry. The whole HDAM thing hasn't been tested in the Zero, to my knowledge, so it is a complete unknown. Hopefully, someone will order one and compare it with the OPA627's.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #2,867 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quanto vc pagou de imposto no seu ZERO ?
Paguei R$ 140,00 no meu

How much did you paid on duties ?
I paid R$140,00 ($82.00) for mine.

Tive que pagar R$ 180 (~ USD 108), infelizmente. Droga de imposto de alfândega!
mad.gif

I've had to pay R$ 180 (~ USD 108), unfortunately. Damn custom duties!
mad.gif

May 11, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #2,868 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Is There this issue between windows and m-audio ?
I'll reinstall my linux ubuntu on it's partition and run some tests....

I do have another digital source.... my cable tv box..... but I don't think it uses 96khz...
I have a friend that have a PS3, what should I use to test ? Blu-Ray disc ? DVD Audio or something ? Or PS3 Games itself have 96khz output ?

Thanks!!

DaC

PS3 is the best bet to try CD, DVD and Blu-Ray for various kHz. Although I'm not entirely sure if it resamples for two-channel audio. I don't believe it does.
Anyone else?

As far as Windows I remember some posts about people with the audiophile have compatibility problems.

After a quick search this is the first hit (though not sure if it's referring to your card):

"Dont buy this card if you run vista
I just recently purchased a new pc with Windows Vista and M-audio is very slow in releasing new drivers. ASIO drivers work with the card but is limited. You cannot run more than one application using the driver at a time and most other applications will not work. My PC has no audio. My Studiophile monitors hiss but nothing beyond that."

I would say your best bet, if you still have problems, is to call your nearest music store, one that has recording equipment for sale. Tell them about your problem and I'm sure they'll be able to recommend something.

Hope it sorts itself out soon!

James

May 11, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #2,869 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS3 is the best bet to try CD, DVD and Blu-Ray for various kHz. Although I'm not entirely sure if it resamples for two-channel audio. I don't believe it does.
Anyone else?

As far as Windows I remember some posts about people with the audiophile have compatibility problems.

After a quick search this is the first hit (though not sure if it's referring to your card):

"Dont buy this card if you run vista
I just recently purchased a new pc with Windows Vista and M-audio is very slow in releasing new drivers. ASIO drivers work with the card but is limited. You cannot run more than one application using the driver at a time and most other applications will not work. My PC has no audio. My Studiophile monitors hiss but nothing beyond that."

I would say your best bet, if you still have problems, is to call your nearest music store, one that has recording equipment for sale. Tell them about your problem and I'm sure they'll be able to recommend something.

Hope it sorts itself out soon!

James

Well I got the same thing on Ubuntu using OSS drive.... Using ALSA drive there was no noise, but I think it was resampling... I'll talk to my friend and make some tests on PS3 today....

Now, Let me explain you the problem more clearly.....

It's not hiss itself......... it's another thing..... Is a strange noise that follows the music depending on the intensity level... more specific high frequêncies (treble) level..... when the music sound intensity turns up on treble it came with more strange noise......

I guess I'll have to test my equipment to find out where is the problem.....
Oh well....

I'll let you know what I got....

DaC

May 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #2,870 of 9,388
SOrry I know Ive asked this before but cannot comb through all these pages to find it again.

Where did you guys but the opamps and adapter?

Sorry, if this has been asked again and agian, I cant find it in all these pages.

What exactly would I need to buy for OPA627s + LT1364 and where. THanks

May 11, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #2,871 of 9,388
I decided not to get an HDAM module. While it sounds like they are solid performers, not being able to put the casing on would bug me.

Also, as mentioned, $80 is a hefty price, plus IDK how much $ is would be to install or have someone install...

Also again, as Pench said, law of diminishing returns sets in... Given where the sweet-spot on the diminishing returns curve is is subjective, I would be willing to bet that the OPA627's would sound pretty close to the HDAM to me.

Just a thought, but I was just thinking that the HDAM module is supposed to be extremely neutral, right? While this is nice, wouldn't the sound be more affected by the sound signature of the OPamps in the amp? For example, I'm planning on using LME49720s in my amp, which are supposedly bright. People have said when paired with the OPA627BPs, the two different sound signatures balance eachother out for an extremely neutral sound. An HDAM module paired with LME49720s, on the other hand, may sound too bright...

Just a thought :p

May 11, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #2,872 of 9,388
I was just wondering... do you guys think the sound quality of the Zero is worthy of a headphone cable upgrade? What I mean is, will I hear a significant difference if I recable my k701s when driving them with the Zero?

May 11, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #2,873 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SOrry I know Ive asked this before but cannot comb through all these pages to find it again.

Where did you guys but the opamps and adapter?

Sorry, if this has been asked again and agian, I cant find it in all these pages.

What exactly would I need to buy for OPA627s + LT1364 and where. THanks

Hey man,

Check out linear.com for the LT chips. You can order some free samples.

The OPA627s are a bit more tricky if your looking for BPs. Every 'official' retailer is sold out and not expecting for stock for about 20 years (24 weeks actually). You can buy them on eBay, but it is debated whether they are fakes or not... although people have been having good luck with them. You can buy them directly from Lawrence when you buy your Zero, but they are $30 each. You can buy them from DIYKits used for $11 each. People have reported good experience with these as well, although it is also debated whether they are real or not.

If you go for some 627AU's... they seem much easier to find and I heard the sound quality is the same anyways.... and I think they are cheaper.

May 11, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #2,874 of 9,388
Thanks djembeplay, I appreciate the advice. Ill order the LT chips right now and try DIYkits for the 627s or ill look for the 627AUs.

Best regards

May 11, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #2,875 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by FAQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not? If the new cable provides an improved electrical link, should it not provide it anymore?
tongue.gif

Hmm, true. I guess I was just thinking... well, to make a point by using an extreme example, if I were to plug a re-cabled K701 into the headphone amp on my stereo receiver, I couldn't imagine it making much of a difference b/c the amp isn't that good to begin with. On the other hand, if I plugged a re-cabled K701 into a $5000 headphone amp, I bet I would easily hear a big difference b/w the stock cable and the new cable... So I'm wondering if you guys thing the sound quality of the Zero will easily reveal a cable upgrade.

Maybe I'm not making sense though... it happens :p

May 11, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #2,876 of 9,388
Ya, that makes sense that a better cable would always sound better no matter what... It would just be that much less resistance from the source to your ear.

Are there DAC/Amp combos for $200 more than the Zero that are much better than the Zero? Especially when the OPamps are swapped in the Zero, I haven't found any. I'm not saying there aren't any... I just haven't found any. Any recommends?

Also, the argument for going with a better amp over the re-cable is tricky because I am planning on re-cabling sometime anyways, regardless of whatever my source and amp are. So, in other words, I could upgrade my amp if I find necessary in the future, but the cable upgrade will stay and still reap benefit in the new setup.

May 11, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #2,877 of 9,388
Cool, thanks. I have heard good things about both of those units. I'll probobly stick with the Zero for now and get the recable I think.

My plan is... my next amp upgrade will jump ship to the Balanced world. Until then I think the Zero will be quite nice for me.

As for the re-cable, I just need to make sure that a balanced cable is the same as an unbalanced one with the exception of the connectors. Otherwise I would need an entirely new re-cable when I switch to a balanced setup, as opposed to just switching from a SE plug to 2 XLR's...

May 11, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #2,878 of 9,388
Well, I just received a package from Lawrence in the Mail. He has sent me an adapter with two OPA627AU's soldered on it, and one of the alps volume pots he has. I was so surprised! He has asked me to try them out and see what I think of them.

So, I'm going to install them in my #1 Zero, starting with the Opamp change first, maturing them for about 50 hours. This will allow me to A-B my BP's and the Lawrence AU's, to see if there are any differences I can detect. I will do this part as quickly as I can, so the results will be available for everyone who is looking or thinking about the 627AU's.

I'll swap out the volume pots after the Opamp part is complete. The alps pot is very small, with the bottom connectors for the board, and it has a notched wheel with slip lock, on the back of the shaft. This may be a fun upgrade option.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just for the record, I don't feel any obligation to Lawrence, whereby the results would be influenced and found to be positive for his benefit. The results will be solely my impressions, like they always have been here at HeadFi. I am here to help members and my audio hobby only.

May 11, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #2,879 of 9,388
Thank you Penchum, keep us updated, highly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back