Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
May 13, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #2,896 of 9,388
I dont know, I am really tempted. To be honest the only thing that is stopping me from getting new cans at the moment is a new amp.

Once I sell my guitar I would be alright and could afford to get a GS-1 or something around that range to use with the Zero.

Well heres my 2nd question anyone with the D5000 and the Zero?

And penchum, I think I may have asked you this before. How bad is the "veil" when using the 650 straight out of the Zero compared to using it from the LD MK III or V or something along those lines.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #2,897 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by wordsworth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does a tube filter work in regards to speakers?

Most are running their source (Zero maybe) into the MKIII's input, then running the MKIII's output into one of their speaker systems inputs like AUX. This flavors the source signal and gives the speaker system some "tube" influence! Any digital harshness is usually gone, with the mids sounding smoother.
smily_headphones1.gif

Those who have a speaker system using a pre-amp/Integrated amp/receiver, will take the REC OUT from a tape loop and hook it to the MKIII's input. Then, hookup the MKIII's output to the tape loops PLAY BACK. This allows two things. 1. It allows you to listen to any source hooked up to the system, with the MKIII. 2. It allows you to "tube" flavor any source hooked up to the system, for speaker listening. I do this with my Vintage systems and it works great!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #2,898 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by djembeplay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OPA627s are a bit more tricky if your looking for BPs. Every 'official' retailer is sold out and not expecting for stock for about 20 years (24 weeks actually). You can buy them on eBay, but it is debated whether they are fakes or not... although people have been having good luck with them. You can buy them directly from Lawrence when you buy your Zero, but they are $30 each.
If you go for some 627AU's... they seem much easier to find and I heard the sound quality is the same anyways.... and I think they are cheaper.

Lawrence has only a few 627BP's left. He is selling them for $60 they are singe op-amps so if you want to use them for amp and dac you will need 6 of them + browndogs.
eek.gif

He is selling the dual op-amp 627AU module for $30. you will only need 3 of these for amp + dac.

I should mention most people have been using them only in the DAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just received a package from Lawrence in the Mail. He has sent me an adapter with two OPA627AU's soldered on it, and one of the alps volume pots he has. I was so surprised! He has asked me to try them out and see what I think of them.

Awesome. Can't wait.

May 13, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #2,899 of 9,388
How is the zero compared to the dac of the predator or pico>

May 13, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #2,901 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by FAQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the Zero's DAC+amp has to be much better than both those portables, due to the space and especially power constraints of the latter. But you'd have to verify for yourself, since no one dares to compare? Or perhaps no one has both.

Can anybody verify please. I really want a DAC

May 13, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #2,902 of 9,388
Can the Zero drive a 600ohm headphone? Anybody have any experience with that? Greetings.

May 13, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #2,903 of 9,388
Someone here has driven 600ohms with them. It was quite a ways back though. I don't recall it being a problem either, but I have slept since then.
smily_headphones1.gif

For the concerns about comparing the Zero against portables, think about the voltage swings associated with dynamics. It is obvious that a desktop unit like the Zero will have much more on tap, for those really dynamic passages.

For those concerned about comparing the Zero to more expensive DAC/Amps, so far to date, the Zero has held it's own against more expensive units. This is the "main" reason why the Zero is so popular. It is all about quality audio at an affordable price. Swap Opamps to your liking and enjoy the sound, and the extra coin left in your pocket.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe buy some more music too!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #2,904 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bam88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've just got my hands on a zero dac yesterday.. is it just me or is there a rasping sound at the start of each track? im listening it through my desktop>zero>um1

Can you describe this a little more? Also, what type files, what sound card, optical or coaxial and so forth? Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #2,905 of 9,388
I just wanted to let everyone know that I hit the 50 hour mark last night and I did the A vs B comparison of the new OPA627AU's against my OPA627BP's. After eight swaps with different music using headphones, and eight swaps using the DAC output to my mini-system, I COULD NOT HEAR A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO!

So, I'm of the opinion that having either one gets you the same output sound quality, which is a really good thing, considering availability!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hats off to Lawrence for providing the AU's for comparison. He has a good ear and I appreciate his wish to help out other audiophiles from his distant location.
smily_headphones1.gif

Note: I will try to install the alps volume pot this coming weekend, and try to report back soon there after.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #2,906 of 9,388
Quote:

Someone here has driven 600ohms with them. It was quite a ways back though. I don't recall it being a problem either, but I have slept since then.
smily_headphones1.gif

For the concerns about comparing the Zero against portables, think about the voltage swings associated with dynamics. It is obvious that a desktop unit like the Zero will have much more on tap, for those really dynamic passages.

For those concerned about comparing the Zero to more expensive DAC/Amps, so far to date, the Zero has held it's own against more expensive units. This is the "main" reason why the Zero is so popular. It is all about quality audio at an affordable price. Swap Opamps to your liking and enjoy the sound, and the extra coin left in your pocket.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe buy some more music too!
smily_headphones1.gif

and FAQ, thanks for the answers. Just what I needed

May 13, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #2,907 of 9,388
Quote:

Can you describe this a little more? Also, what type files, what sound card, optical or coaxial and so forth? Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm using a usb/optical converter to connect my zero to my desktop. Each time it starts playing a new sound, it produces a rasping sound for like half a second, after which the playback is perfectly fine. If playback is stopped completely and then resumed, the rasping sound comes back again.

Oh yah, it applies to all types of sound coming out from the zero, including sounds by windows and games.

Anybody knows why?

May 13, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #2,908 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bam88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a usb/optical converter to connect my zero to my desktop. Each time it starts playing a new sound, it produces a rasping sound for like half a second, after which the playback is perfectly fine. If playback is stopped completely and then resumed, the rasping sound comes back again.

Oh yah, it applies to all types of sound coming out from the zero, including sounds by windows and games.

Anybody knows why?

Ah, I had that exact problem with a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage USB sound card. It also happened when the media player (Winamp) changed tracks. I never was able to fix it. Does your usb/optical have a headphone socket, if so try that and see if the problem is there.

I would be inclined to suspect the USB device before the DAC. Not because I have the Zero but because I have had the same USB issue. On the other hand with my Edirol which has USB/Optical I do not have the same problem...

It is also just possible that what you have is a locking issue, i.e your PC does not maintain a consistent bitstream so that when a sound device is stopped the DAC loses lock and what you hear is a blip when it starts up and locks again. In one of my set-ups I have a 3:1 optical switch box and when I switch positions you get a similar rasp as the DAC loses lock and then re-establishes it.

Either way I would start with the USB device.

May 13, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #2,909 of 9,388
Quote:

I just wanted to let everyone know that I hit the 50 hour mark last night and I did the A vs B comparison of the new OPA627AU's against my OPA627BP's. After eight swaps with different music using headphones, and eight swaps using the DAC output to my mini-system, I COULD NOT HEAR A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO!

So, I'm of the opinion that having either one gets you the same output sound quality, which is a really good thing, considering availability!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hats off to Lawrence for providing the AU's for comparison. He has a good ear and I appreciate his wish to help out other audiophiles from his distant location.
smily_headphones1.gif

Note: I will try to install the alps volume pot this coming weekend, and try to report back soon there after.
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking forward towards the pot upgrade. It would be awesome if you could post some pictures on how to replace the pot when you do it.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #2,910 of 9,388
Quote:

I COULD NOT HEAR A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO!

Cool, I think I'll order some. I'm still not at all convinced the two sets I have are genuine. The cost is suspect, as well as the design and serial numbers. I do not hear any appreciable difference between them and the stock one either.
See this thread for more details on my experience: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/fak...s-wild-316937/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back