Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
May 12, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #2,881 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS3 is the best bet to try CD, DVD and Blu-Ray for various kHz. Although I'm not entirely sure if it resamples for two-channel audio. I don't believe it does.
Anyone else?

As far as Windows I remember some posts about people with the audiophile have compatibility problems.

After a quick search this is the first hit (though not sure if it's referring to your card):

"Dont buy this card if you run vista
I just recently purchased a new pc with Windows Vista and M-audio is very slow in releasing new drivers. ASIO drivers work with the card but is limited. You cannot run more than one application using the driver at a time and most other applications will not work. My PC has no audio. My Studiophile monitors hiss but nothing beyond that."

I would say your best bet, if you still have problems, is to call your nearest music store, one that has recording equipment for sale. Tell them about your problem and I'm sure they'll be able to recommend something.

Hope it sorts itself out soon!

James

Well today I have tested my Zero DAC on a PS3...... the sound was perfect normal......
On PS3 config I set it to use 88khz and 188khz also....
the problem is.... I really don't know what was the frequency it was using..... because it's auto selected......
Tested Company of Heros and a car game that I don't mind the name now......
My friend didn't had any show or studio recording... this would be better because I would know for sure the frequency used...

What do you think ?

DaC

May 12, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #2,883 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by FAQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I'm awaiting the DIYEDEN SVDAC05 that I recently ordered. It's not much more expensive than the Zero...

eBay 香港 : MUSILAND SVDAC05 DIGITAL STEREO DAC (ç‰©å“ 110242616563 çµæŸæ™‚é–“ 2008-05-12 18å°æ™‚02分19秒)

But its DAC section has great promise, being as it is kind of an evolved version of the circuit topology of my Super Pro DAC which I had preferred to the Zero. The headphone amp's power transistors are not class-A biased like the Zero's seem to be, though.

Another great, but more expensive choice should be the YULONG DAH1, I've read good things.

eBay 香港 : Earphone Amplifier and DAC Amplifier for YULONG DAH1 (ç‰©å“ 110210892821 çµæŸæ™‚é–“ 2008-06-01 17å°æ™‚45分39秒)

Been looking into which DAC to buy as my old sostenuto -1 has gone and I need a replacement. The SVDAC05 is pretty much the same price as the zero as is the super pro, however the SVDAC05 according to review on here does not have line out only pre amp out which as I already have a headphone amp and amp looking at getting either a LD MKIII or LD MKV (any advice on that one?) it seems disappointing that the sound will already be altered before it gets to the amp. FAQ will be interested to hear you views on your DAC's once the SVDAC05 arrives.

May 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #2,884 of 9,388
Is the zero dac any good with a headsave classic and dt 990, would it be better than just a pico/predator amp?

May 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #2,885 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by wordsworth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been looking into which DAC to buy as my old sostenuto -1 has gone and I need a replacement. The SVDAC05 is pretty much the same price as the zero as is the super pro, however the SVDAC05 according to review on here does not have line out only pre amp out which as I already have a headphone amp and amp looking at getting either a LD MKIII or LD MKV (any advice on that one?) it seems disappointing that the sound will already be altered before it gets to the amp. FAQ will be interested to hear you views on your DAC's once the SVDAC05 arrives.

Quote:

I have read the review, and in this regard it was wrong. The output of the SVDAC05 is a volume controlled line out, not a preamplified out. It's exactly like any other line out, just with 2 exceptions: 1) the internal digital attenuator function of the CS4398 is taken advantage of; 2) the output voltage with the attenuator defeated is specified as 3V RMS vs. the more usual 2V RMS.

This means that you can leave the volume at max (i.e. zero attenuation) and the line out will be a pure line out, just with a slightly higher output level than usual, which could also be an advantage - like in case you wanted to connect it to a power (not integrated) amplifier directly and use the digital attenuator, in which case it'd work just like a preamp.
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing to consider, is that these DAC/amp units are featured to be a DAC with line-level output, and a pre-amp with variable line output. Either way, the output is always influenced by the sound signature of the Opamp in the DAC section. So, in the end, it is all about optimizing the DAC Opamp for the best output possible. With the Zero, the two OPA627's on a Brown Dog adapter seems to be a favorite.
smily_headphones1.gif

On the LD amp issue, I'd first tell you that you could not go wrong with either amp. If you are using a decent CD player or computer card optical out, with lossless files, the Zero with either LD amp will pair up very well. I would recommend reading my reviews on both, to see which type of sound (SS vs Tube) seems to fit your expectations the best.
smily_headphones1.gif

There are quite a few members who are looking to get both amps. One at a time to spread out the cost. This is probably the ultimate setup, because you can pick which amp to use, depending upon your mood or type of music you are going to listen too.
smily_headphones1.gif
Some have speaker systems and want to use the MKIII as a tube filter as well. This is a great way to get double duty from the MKIII and improve the sound of a speaker system.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #2,886 of 9,388
Thanks FAQ and Penchum for the replies and for clarifying the line out issue with the SVDAC05. I have read the reviews and pretty much all the posts relating to the DAC's I am considering and the 2 amps. As far as the DAC goes the easiest and cheapest option and still most likely what I will go for is the zero but with a few other Chinese DACs being at a similar price range it has left me undecided though the DAH1 looks nice at £160 + £20 postage I think that is probably pushing my limited budget especially as I would like to get an amp.

In the case of the amps I have never had a tube amp so I am tempted to try one out properly (I have heard a few tube amps long ago including the orpheus which of course was stunning) but previously I have had SS and do like the easy of use espeically as the MKV doesn't seem to need opamp rolling which keeps it cheap as with buying some replacement tubes the MKIII is probably the same price as the MKV. Decisions Decisions.

May 12, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #2,888 of 9,388
OK so I was playing around with the Zero a bit, changing opamps and realised something new. This may be common knowledge to everyone but I never realised that using the zero as a pre-amp with the 'phone' light on means that the preamp signal is also going through the opamps in the headphone section!

Did everyone already know this? I think the preamp signal (non volume controlled) sounds better than the same volume with the phone depressed (with three sets of OPA627AUs). It was clearer and had better treble extension. With the button in sounded like there was a thin blanket over the speakers.

When I switched to the stock opamp in the DAC and the 627s in the amp it was better with the phones on.

My conclusion is that this is an interesting and easy way of doing synergy tests and comparisons between opamps.

Of course you need to hook it up to a headphone amp or speakers to take advantage of this quick A/B comparison.

May 12, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #2,889 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did everyone already know this?

Yep, we knew, but nobody can blame you for not wanting to spend your weekend sifting through 300+ pages of posts to know for sure.
This thread is awesome, but it's now way too big to get most useful info out of it. I wonder if there's a way to somehow index or make a 'reader's digest' version of it...

May 12, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #2,891 of 9,388
Quote:

1) the internal digital attenuator function of the CS4398 is taken advantage of;

Which is exactly how it should be done. The SVDAC06 seems to do that as well with the AD1832.

The only question is the implementation of the SVDAC05, and SVDAC06 vs. the others. It's hard to tell without looking at the PCB.

I'm not too sure about the line out, however. My understanding is that it is after the transistors. It would be better before. The opamps would most certainly need to be there to handle the differential to single ended conversion and the LPF. The current buffers, I'm not too keen on. Hey, at least it's another area to tweak.

The same with the Zero. The output transistors can be changed to something more impressive. AFAIK, they both use the same transistors, but most likely it's a different implementation. The Zero has some JFETs for biasing, most likely. I don't see that on the SVDAC05.

May 13, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #2,894 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might be a crazy question but how bad would AKG K701 sound out of the zero? Just until I build my M^3

There are a few folks doing that with positive results, so hopefully they will speak up. I don't remember which Opamps they liked best with the K701 though.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #2,895 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is weird to say but, um... I like how the insides of the Zero smell. Yeah.

biggrin.gif
You are not alone!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back