Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
May 9, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #2,836 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let them burn in for just a while. I've found that they get refined with some hours burn in. I usually don't decide on them until they've done 24 hours.

I quite liked the LT1364+LT1361 for DT880. Sure, the hights are not rolled at all, but I liked the clarity and air the LT1361 have. The LT1364 is also airy with a rather large soundstage and a slight touch of warmth in the mids.
---------------------------------------------

Wow... if they are going to get more refined with burn in... i think its really going to be a killer pairing for hd650, if the slight harshness/sharpness disappears after 24 hours.

May 9, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #2,837 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Zero DAC is fanally here!! =]

My overall sound quality improved but not a night and day difference at last definitely better.....

Do you thinking maybe my headphone is playing limiting factor on SQ ?

I also found a lot of hiss on some High Quality no compression albuns... The hiss doesn't occour when playing CDs or lower quality recordings...

What should it be ? recording problem or maybe my DIY RCA and Audiophile 2496 breakout (yes, I've made one) cables ?

player: foobar -> using ASIO v2

My old Setup:
Audiophile 2496 Line Out -> DIY Cmoy AMP -> Senn HD-555
My new setup:

Audiophile 2496 S/PDIF - > Zero DAC - Zero AMP -> Senn HD-555

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, making some tests using foobar resampler I found something....
Everything above 44khz began to give hiss.....
The record I have at 96khz that got a lot of hiss, had no hiss when I set resampler to 44khz.... and it grows gradually as I drive frequency up to 96khz...
Do you think maybe it's a ZERO DaC problem ?

Henmyr is correct. You are ahead of yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif
This is a common thing that happens. I recommend fully maturing the Zero (100hrs) before swapping Opamps or doing an critical listening or testing differences in file formats.

Once you have the Zero matured, we can all help to find any other issues you are having with files or settings.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #2,838 of 9,388
Hi Pench...what's up
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #2,839 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by FAQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I very warmly recommend the LT1469. I'm also curious about the LT1057 which I haven't tried. The LT1469 is the most refined opamp I've heard, and I personally find it better than the LT1364 which I've always greatly liked.

Back some months ago, I was fond of the LT1364 in the DAC, and LT1469's in the Amp. Some agreed, some did not and it seemed to be headphone dependant. I'm using the HD-650s.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #2,840 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Henmyr is correct. You are ahead of yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif
This is a common thing that happens. I recommend fully maturing the Zero (100hrs) before swapping Opamps or doing an critical listening or testing differences in file formats.

Once you have the Zero matured, we can all help to find any other issues you are having with files or settings.
smily_headphones1.gif

You mean.... hiss can go away as time goes by ?

I don't even know if the reply was for me.....
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #2,841 of 9,388
Pench did you try the LM4562NA opamp in the Zero's dac section ?

I'm gonna go back and look at the list again, thought I'd ask off hand before doing so.

Peete.

Nevermind...just re read your impression of this opamp.....Did you ever give it more time to see if it improved further ?

May 9, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #2,842 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pench did you try the LM4562NA opamp in the Zero's dac section ?

I'm gonna go back and look at the list again, thought I'd ask off hand before doing so.

Peete.

Yepper. The darn thing is "bright" though! Another combo to try, for those with the OPA627's in the DAC, is the LM4562's in the amp. Worth trying at least.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #2,844 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Pench...what's up
smily_headphones1.gif

Ow, well, I had to take additional pain meds, so I'm listening to Alan Parsons Project.
smily_headphones1.gif
Soon I'll have some Zeppelin playing, so I'll switch to my main system and wake up my speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #2,845 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
op amps aren't going to "burn in". That is like saying your computer is going to run better once the cpu has had time to burn in.

I disagree.

Peete.

May 9, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #2,846 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ow, well, I had to take additional pain meds, so I'm listening to Alan Parsons Project.
smily_headphones1.gif
Soon I'll have some Zeppelin playing, so I'll switch to my main system and wake up my speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pain meds ? You hurt yourself P ? Or are you just old and rickety like me ?
biggrin.gif

APP + Zep equals = pain relief ( and a few perq's)
smily_headphones1.gif

That description fits the LM4562NA to a T, although it has relaxed some (in the Auzen)after a 100 hours or so. I'm not too thrilled with a tilted top end like that. Correct balance with ribbon tweeters is a very fine line. Slightly reticent and the detail is lost, slightly tipped up and it's ice picky. Very hard to find the perfect balance. The opposite is true with the HD650's, which is why I originally thought the LM4562 would be a good match. At first (before the HD650's had burned in) this was the case. Now that the Senn's have 300 + hours on them that is no longer the case. Sterile is the word that comes to mind (could be the Prelude card's fault for making things worse).

I bet the Auzen (prelude 7.1) isn't half bad with the BB 627's.

On another note it's occurred to me that the HDAM unit should impart no sonic signature to the dac section of the Zero thus being a perfect arbiter of the quality of it's DAC circuit topology. What do you think Pench ? Is this from left field or on the money ? It will be interesting to pit various opamps against the HDAM module in the Zero.

Peete.

May 10, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #2,848 of 9,388
Lol, I thought I noticed a couple of zero's for sale in the FS forum. Btw what time is it there? I mean your in Chicago right?

May 10, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #2,849 of 9,388
I have been thinking of selling my zero, it was a great little beginning into the world of headphone amps. I ordered a musical fidelity x-can v8 and expecting it on monday. Welcome to Musical Fidelity It has a usb DAC, I will see how it will sound straight from my pc and from the output of the zero. Really like the zero though, and do want to mention using the 1358 in the DAC and the 1364 in the amp, it adds a sense of depth to the soundstage. I would have really liked the 1469 for its bass but it lacked that airy quality that was present in the 1358. Also the Denon D2000's go low as it is.

Anyone care to recommend what opamps I should try in the DAC of the zero with the x-can v8? I have 1364,1358,1469,1361,1057, 4562 and the stock opamps. dont have the 627
frown.gif

May 10, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #2,850 of 9,388
As I said before I'm having a hiss problem on frequencies above 44khz.
I e-mailed Lawrance about this issue and he asked me to try to change the op amp.

Do you guys thinks this could solve the problem ?

Another thing, I only have one OPA2132PA available. Can I substitute the original OPA2604 for it ? Is it "compatible" with Zero DAC ?

I only have Zero DAC for 3 days..... maybe about 16hrs of playing.... do you think it would be better if I wait to see if the problem disappear ? Brcause I think it won't.......

I'd be glad if anyone help me... =]

DaC (Diego Alencar Cavalcante) LoL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back