Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #7,306 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by oofie810 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So while I've been (im)patiently waiting for my zero, I've been using my entry level Onkyo receiver connected to my mbp using my hd650s. There should be an improvement with the zero over the onkyo, right? This would be my first decent setup together with an ld mkIII on order so I dont have any clue on how it would sound.

Yes. The Zero plus MkIII is a proven upgrade combination, that many in this thread enjoy daily, including myself. Sure, you'll do some tube rolling and Opamp swapping, but the overall sound will be much improved over what you had previously.
smily_headphones1.gif
You are about to have a bunch of fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #7,307 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. The Zero plus MkIII is a proven upgrade combination, that many in this thread enjoy daily, including myself. Sure, you'll do some tube rolling and Opamp swapping, but the overall sound will be much improved over what you had previously.
smily_headphones1.gif
You are about to have a bunch of fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

My mobo has a digital output. Will that cause any degradation in sound quality or should I invest in a dedicated sound card?

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #7,308 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currawong can you post a better picture of the rca solder point for the ground wire?

The RCA jacks have a big metal leg sticking out in the centre - big enough you can see it shining in my picture. Just solder it on to that.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #7,309 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve The Egg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My mobo has a digital output. Will that cause any degradation in sound quality or should I invest in a dedicated sound card?

Steve that's hard to answer - some say their built-in cards are just fine, others have tried them and opted to upgrade. The most common problem seems to be "crackling" - I'd suggest trying your built-in first and if not happy, then upgrade. No sense in spending more money if you're satisfied... but this IS head-fi... satisfaction, if achieved, is only temporary
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #7,310 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve The Egg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Depends on the chip/implementation.

My mobo has a realtek chip that is capable of bit-perfect, so it will only act as transport not touching / altering the sound, this is important.

Fortunately no problems with "crackling" etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #7,311 of 9,388
ScottieB and Penchum, thanks for the vote of confidence. I've been doubting myself since buying the zero and mkIII because my onkyo sounds decent enough for me as I dont have any prior experience with hi-fi. Its especially hard for me because I have no idea how good music should sound.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #7,312 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by oofie810 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ScottieB and Penchum, thanks for the vote of confidence. I've been doubting myself since buying the zero and mkIII because my onkyo sounds decent enough for me as I dont have any prior experience with hi-fi. Its especially hard for me because I have no idea how good music should sound.

No worries.... you will very soon.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's crazy the quality of sound you can get for the money with headphones (compared with speakers that is).

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #7,313 of 9,388
I would highly reccomend that anyone who is going to order from Lawrence get the vanilla version and not the "upgraded" one. Mine did not have the upgraded opamp's (had NE5532P instead), which was stated in the auction that they were. Additionally the "upgraded" OPA627 is "ifffy", I'm not convinced that it is the real deal. Even if it was real, your best bet is to order the vanilla version (save your money!), order in a HDAM from GD and get LT1364 samples for free. My 2c.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #7,314 of 9,388
Hi. Long time lurker first time poster, I just registered after reading about this neat unit. It appeals to the budget-quality and bang-for-buck audio enthusiast in me. I've read a good deal of the thread but when I realized how huge it is and started getting in to alternate op-amp selection I stopped, maybe some day I can read the whole thing?!

Anyhow I need some specific advice if possible. I currently use a Squeezebox v3 as my source in to a vintage Yamaha amp and listen either to speakers (Yamaha NS-1000M) or headphones (Grado SR-80.) So my primary use for this unit would be as a DAC about 80% of the time and headphone amp 20% of the time rather than going through the amp. I've never had a separate DAC and chose the Squeezebox because it is supposed to have a decent DAC section. So my specific question is if anyone has used this unit as a DAC for a Squeezebox v3 and if so would it be a significant improvement or just a subtle one? If you don't have a Squeezebox guesses would be ok (I bet they'll be along the lines of 'yea it will be better'
wink.gif
) or input from anyone who has bypassed the Squeezebox DAC would be helpful too. Thanks!

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #7,315 of 9,388
yes ithe zero is a million times better thab the sb3 dac. I have a similar setup and the zero kills the sb3. the sb3 dac has harsh highs, a constricted soundstage and no seperation. you can also use the preamp so you don't degrade the sound quality by using the digital volum control.

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #7,316 of 9,388
Is there any advantage of getting opamps in the TO-99 package? For some reason, Azuzentech charges 5x more for this version to the PDIP version. Here is what I mean:

opa627_637_sm_n_adaptor.jpg

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #7,317 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes ithe zero is a million times better thab the sb3 dac. I have a similar setup and the zero kills the sb3. the sb3 dac has harsh highs, a constricted soundstage and no seperation. you can also use the preamp so you don't degrade the sound quality by using the digital volum control.

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad someone with an SB3 replied quickly. That's what I figured but there's no way to know what's different or what the improvement might be until you try. I assume it's that much better even with the default opamps? I both look forward to and fear opamp swapping
wink.gif
never know when it will end.

As for the digital volume control, you mean use the Zero's preamp volume control and not the sb3 one right? To do that you leave the sb3 volume control at max? From what I understand that's the way to bypass digital volume controls.

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #7,318 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasZakrY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would highly reccomend that anyone who is going to order from Lawrence get the vanilla version and not the "upgraded" one. Mine did not have the upgraded opamp's (had NE5532P instead), which was stated in the auction that they were. Additionally the "upgraded" OPA627 is "ifffy", I'm not convinced that it is the real deal. Even if it was real, your best bet is to order the vanilla version (save your money!), order in a HDAM from GD and get LT1364 samples for free. My 2c.

how to get LT1364 samples for free?
can tech me how?

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #7,319 of 9,388
its easier to get them from lineartech for free if you are in the us but you still need some kind of "business" name to request them. they say if you are in a foreign country one of their reps has to call you and that's more stuff to make up.

for sb3 users yes even the stock amp with opa627 sounds better than the sb3 and yes that is how bypass the volume control. you can also go to the control panel in squeezecenter and set the digital output to fixed so the volume is fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back