Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 18, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #7,321 of 9,388
Yesss...finally, my Zero came in today
icon10.gif
Very very happy with it, guess I'll be glued to my comp and 'phones this whole weekend.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #7,322 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasZakrY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any advantage of getting opamps in the TO-99 package? For some reason, Azuzentech charges 5x more for this version to the PDIP version. Here is what I mean:

opa627_637_sm_n_adaptor.jpg

I don't think there'd be any benefit. May as well just get the HDAM then if you're going to spend money.

As for the idea of just buying the base unit and upgrading it yourself that's not a bad idea. I think there have been a couple of people who had issues involving the upgraded version having problems with the socketed OPA627s. That doesn't mean doing it yourself wont have issues though. The mistakes mostly involved the opamps being socketed the wrong way around, which fries them, hence my big, close-up pictures showing which way around things should be.

You can order LT1364 samples from this link. You want the PDIP version.

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #7,323 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its easier to get them from lineartech for free if you are in the us but you still need some kind of "business" name to request them. they say if you are in a foreign country one of their reps has to call you and that's more stuff to make up.

for sb3 users yes even the stock amp with opa627 sounds better than the sb3 and yes that is how bypass the volume control. you can also go to the control panel in squeezecenter and set the digital output to fixed so the volume is fixed.

Got it
smily_headphones1.gif

The only thing I'm not clear on is you say OPA627 are the stock opamps...I thought (and the various eBay auctions say) OPA2604 is the standard. I read some about the 'upgraded' versions with alternate opamps and also I think a new transformer (all seem to have the new tansformer now), maybe I just don't see any alternate opamp ones for sale atm. *edit* Nevermind, I see some with OPA627s. The OPA2604 is still pretty good yea? Or should I get the OPA627 version to start? I can also try rolling opamps later, if I can't get samples how much do they usually cost?

I would really like to hear which Opamp I should go for first so I can get started
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #7,324 of 9,388
get the one that has the 627 as standard. The 627 sounded great after 100 hours.

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #7,325 of 9,388
Cool you're on right now
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, is the Xitel DG2 USB-optical a decent piece of gear for doing that conversion? There are some auctions that include the Xitel 'free' along with the upgraded opamps. I wouldn't be using the Xitel with the sb3 in this case but it would be something I'd like to have as long as it doesn't do a poor job of it.

I think I need to reread some of the thread, I may be a little confused about the opamps. The first post shows dual 627s in the DAC section and they look like a socket format, the 'upgrade' version on ebay shows a single 627 on an adaptor. So is the 627-upgrade version for the DAC sections, and are dual opamps better or necessary? Also regarding opamps, are the second set of opamps listed in the first post are for the headphone output right, if so what is the standard headphone section opamp? It doesn't seem to be specified anywhere.

I listen to almost all types of music aside from really twangy country and gangsta rap so I'd need it to be versatile across all music types. I also prefer non-colored sources generally, 'straight wire with gain' is my preference although a little bit of fullness in the low end or a little 'musicality' is good too I don't like tihngs overly analyitcal and digitized too much either. Would those preferences affect which opamp version I should get initially?

Btw my amp is an integrated amp which means it has its own preamp as well. Will that be a problem since the Zero has its own volume as well and what should the different volume controls be set to? I'd still like to use the preamp in the amp I already have and just use the Zero as a DAC source.

Also, should I be worried about the 627 frying and double check it before powering up?

Sorry for having lots of questions and lots of edits, thanks for the input!

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #7,327 of 9,388
Well ok then. I saw those, they are effectively discrete component opamps right?

Also I edited this in to my last post but will ask again 'Btw my amp is an integrated amp which means it has its own preamp as well. Will that be a problem since the Zero has its own volume as well and what should the different volume controls be set to? I'd still like to use the preamp in the amp I already have and just use the Zero as a DAC source.' *Nevermind, I reread the first post and understand that the volume control in the Zero can be defeated to use it as a pure DAC with no volume control. So I guess the question the becomes, what would be the best way to use the Zero plus an integrated amp?

I have posted a bunch of other questions if anyone else wants to answer tomorrow
biggrin.gif
I have a (bad) habit of coming up with a number of questions and posting them all at once then half of them get ignored
frown.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #7,328 of 9,388
Let me ask some questions.

1) When I use ZERO only as DAC, the only working OPAMP is DAC OPAMP, right?

2) If I use ZERO only as DAC, volume pot upgrade is meaningless, right?

Thanks.

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #7,329 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me ask some questions.

1) When I use ZERO only as DAC, the only working OPAMP is DAC OPAMP, right?

2) If I use ZERO only as DAC, volume pot upgrade is meaningless, right?

Thanks.

1. Yes are correct.
2. Volume pot upgrade only helps a little, if u use zero dac to adjust volume in preamp mode.

Oct 18, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #7,330 of 9,388
Madman, have you read the guide in my signature? It should answer your questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

The OPA627's should meet your sound expectations, but a HDAM more so. In my guide, I've posted pics of both versions you commonly find of the OPA627, the DIP version which is socketed, and the SOIC which is smaller and soldered. The latter are soldered to the top and bottom of the adaptor, which is why you often only see one, not two in the pictures.

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #7,331 of 9,388
Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me here. I had the OPA-Earth install for nearly 2 months now. Suddenly I heard a pop on the right channel and now I've lost sound on the right channel altogether. I've switched back to the OPA627 and the Zero is fine, which means that it is the Earth.
Has anyone experience any problem like this on the OPA-Earth ? Is there a warranty ? What should I go about to getting it fixed ? My soldering skill is not very good, but I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty trying to fix this if only someone can show me the way.

I must add that I haven't been using it that much, probably about 100 hours at most in total.

Thanks.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #7,332 of 9,388
Ok guys, I need help. It looks like my mkIII will be arriving today (hopefully) which I was expecting to be delivered next week. Anyway, I just got my Zero yesterday and already logged in about 15 hours in it.

Question is, how do I burn-in the Zero completely (amp and dac) if I use it as a pre-amp to my mkIII? Of course I'd like to use my mkIII right away and I also would like the Zero's amp to burn in. How do I do this?

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #7,333 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by tedSmith123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me here. I had the OPA-Earth install for nearly 2 months now. Suddenly I heard a pop on the right channel and now I've lost sound on the right channel altogether. I've switched back to the OPA627 and the Zero is fine, which means that it is the Earth.
Has anyone experience any problem like this on the OPA-Earth ? Is there a warranty ? What should I go about to getting it fixed ? My soldering skill is not very good, but I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty trying to fix this if only someone can show me the way.

I must add that I haven't been using it that much, probably about 100 hours at most in total.

Thanks.

the OPA will normally last very long, due to discrete components. Perhaps are u using the extension wire, is the extension leads broken? pls try to connect directly.

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #7,334 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by oofie810 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok guys, I need help. It looks like my mkIII will be arriving today (hopefully) which I was expecting to be delivered next week. Anyway, I just got my Zero yesterday and already logged in about 15 hours in it.

Question is, how do I burn-in the Zero completely (amp and dac) if I use it as a pre-amp to my mkIII? Of course I'd like to use my mkIII right away and I also would like the Zero's amp to burn in. How do I do this?

Just keep using the Zero. There are differing opinions about what is considered completely "broken in" but by 100 hours everything should be settled.

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #7,335 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Yes are correct.
2. Volume pot upgrade only helps a little, if u use zero dac to adjust volume in preamp mode.

Thanks for your help. Volume pot is inactive in simple DAC mode, right?

Btw I have another question, isn't HDAM for DAC + OPA627s for HP/Pre so good? I think OPA627s are generally better than LT1364 at least for DIY AMP...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back