Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 18, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #7,336 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Madman, have you read the guide in my signature? It should answer your questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

The OPA627's should meet your sound expectations, but a HDAM more so. In my guide, I've posted pics of both versions you commonly find of the OPA627, the DIP version which is socketed, and the SOIC which is smaller and soldered. The latter are soldered to the top and bottom of the adaptor, which is why you often only see one, not two in the pictures.

Thanks for the guide and link.

Last question since I don't think it's clearly stated anywhere
wink.gif
For the upgraded volume pot it's said to get it from 'Lawrence' and his contact info is posted in your guide. I can email him too but if he has regular postings on ebay what's his username? More important, is he the only one replacing the volume pot, the 'upgrade version' from other sellers is only opamp upgrade?

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #7,337 of 9,388
Has anyone tried to install the ALPS pot from Kingwa @ GD? How does this pot compare to the one Lawrence is selling, does it fit?

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #7,338 of 9,388
Yea I meant to ask about the pot if we know the part number or if there are other good alternatives that might be easier to find?

Also has anyone considered adding a switchable second RCA output? It seems like it should be a simple thing to add but maybe there would need to be additoinal protection circuits.

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #7,339 of 9,388
I'm ordering a Zero from Lawrence next week, and I have one little concern. I want to use my Zero mostly with my computer, and it looks like the only way I can really do that is getting a new sound card with an optical out, or getting one of these. Would that converter degrade the quality at all, or is it fine to use?

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #7,340 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm ordering a Zero from Lawrence next week, and I have one little concern. I want to use my Zero mostly with my computer, and it looks like the only way I can really do that is getting a new sound card with an optical out, or getting one of these. Would that converter degrade the quality at all, or is it fine to use?

That is the exact one Lawrence includes. It is bit perfect and imho has no discernible sq difference from a discrete pci soundcard.

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #7,341 of 9,388
Quote:

It should be fine, the only thing you'd be missing (I think) would be hi-res audio for things like DVD_audio or hi-res vinyl rips (24-bit 96khz) - I don't think those usb-optical (or at least that particular one) goes higher than 48khz. So if you don't have or plan to get any hi-res stuff, youll be fine. Personally I have a decent amount of DVD-A and SACD discs (plus I like to play games) so I went for an audio card. But for CD quality audio , mp3s, DVDs (regular DVDs not DVD-A) etc you'll be just fine. I'm pretty sure some sellers sell the Zero with one of those adapters already included... just not sure who.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #7,342 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasZakrY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is the exact one Lawrence includes. It is bit perfect and imho has no discernible sq difference from a discrete pci soundcard.

Lawrence includes one? Great! Do I need to ask him to ship one with my zero or will he just include it anyways?

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #7,343 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should be fine, the only thing you'd be missing (I think) would be hi-res audio for things like DVD_audio or hi-res vinyl rips (24-bit 96khz) - I don't think those usb-optical (or at least that particular one) goes higher than 48khz. So if you don't have or plan to get any hi-res stuff, youll be fine. Personally I have a decent amount of DVD-A and SACD discs (plus I like to play games) so I went for an audio card. But for CD quality audio , mp3s, DVDs (regular DVDs not DVD-A) etc you'll be just fine. I'm pretty sure some sellers sell the Zero with one of those adapters already included... just not sure who.

I'll just be using my zero with MP3s and CDs as far as I know. Thanks for the help!

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #7,344 of 9,388
Oct 18, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #7,345 of 9,388
Thanks that's exactly what I needed to know as well. I'm going to get the 'free shipping' one (same total cost) though to get more off with an eBay coupon
wink.gif

Does the 'upgrade' refer to the opamps only or is that also with the better volume pot?

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #7,346 of 9,388
Oct 18, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #7,347 of 9,388
Quote:

That version doesn't have all of the upgrades that Lawrence includes. At least, that's what I was told a couple of pages back by Pete.

Shoot Lawrence an email regarding what upgrades you would like to the unit (I'm guessing included HDAM and ALPS pot?) As I stated before, mine did not come with the correct headphone opamps.

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #7,349 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasZakrY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shoot Lawrence an email regarding what upgrades you would like to the unit (I'm guessing included HDAM and ALPS pot?) As I stated before, mine did not come with the correct headphone opamps.

If I get that version that you recommended, there isn't really anyway I can get the upgraded volume pot, is there? Would it really even make that large of a difference?

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #7,350 of 9,388
Quote:

If I get that version that you recommended, there isn't really anyway I can get the upgraded volume pot, is there? Would it really even make that large of a difference?

I'm sure people have differing opinions about the pot but again, imho the stock pot does not crackle at all for me and has exact volume levels for left and right channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back