Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 28, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #5,716 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose it could be, but the one I have, has an audio-gd sticker on it, and their web site said the "earth" is the new name for the one they had been selling elsewhere for a long time. There was only the one model, so if they updated the original one and then named it "earth", they didn't make mention of it.

Update: Here is the information that is on their website:

OPA – Earth : Our first generation discrete opamp has been sold throughout the world by other marketing means. This discrete opamp utilizes integrated cascode circuit with the schematic based on single channel circuit which is an improvement based on new improved parameters and technology. The sound characteristics is neutral and natural. THD Less than 0.0005%(1KHz), Operating voltage:±9 TO ±25V,Open loop gain:35DB,Operating current:Approx. 28MA(Single Output),Approx. 56MA(Dual Output)。

Here is a link to it: audio-gd

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #5,717 of 9,388
Great news guys, Kingwa just informed me that the last stock was for me, so I'll get my two combos in a few days... it usually takes 15-21 days to Brazil..... well... most of them I'll be out on a trip, so no problem, I'll pratically not wait for it....
beyersmile.png

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #5,718 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PP and Penchum, are you sure Earth is the same HDAM Lawrence is selling?

I asked this 2 days ago and he said NO (something like the number of transistors and FETs on HDAM is different, it has more).

The SQ of each is pretty much identical...dead nuts neutral.

Peete.

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #5,720 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBuLLeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my Zero and I got the wrong plug for it. It seems like its a 250v instead of the 110v plug. Now I need to see if there is anyway he can send me one. SO SO sad...

Ouch. That's gotta be painful.
frown.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #5,722 of 9,388
Quote:

I just received my Zero and I got the wrong plug for it. It seems like its a 250v instead of the 110v plug. Now I need to see if there is anyway he can send me one. SO SO sad...

Yeah, I'm with you there, same happened to me but the other way, I got an American power cord. I put it aside and just grabbed a NZ standard one that was not being used on a PC. Wouldn't it be easier - and a lot less painful - if you just went to a store and bought the correct power cord?
Just a thought, mate.

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #5,723 of 9,388
Oh Yea I did the same thing as you. I found a old monitor plug that I am not using right now. So I got the Zero working and I am just testing it as the default Head-fi deal. Tomorrow I will put in a Sun or Earth in there. Still will try to get that power cord from Lawrence because I am going to need that power cable soon.

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #5,724 of 9,388
Quote:

Oh Yea I did the same thing as you. I found a old monitor plug that I am not using right now. So I got the Zero working and I am just testing it as the default Head-fi deal. Tomorrow I will put in a Sun or Earth in there. Still will try to get that power cord from Lawrence because I am going to need that power cable soon.

FYI, those cables run about $1..

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #5,727 of 9,388
Yea but shipping will be 5 dollars. I rather keep for 6+ dollars for something like a mod for this thing. By the way Led Zeppelin - Stairway to heaven from the How the West was Won Album. I can hear people in the crow yelling random stuff.

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #5,728 of 9,388
Oh my,

audio-gd teach me a lesson on grounding.

A lot of time, diyer couldn't get gound sounds due to improper grounding.

I have attached the OPA earth wire to one of the screw at the headphone board, that is a big no no. The ground circuit will go a long way to return to the ground. Even without earth connection will better than connecting earth to the casing earth. (hope not confused)

And dont use the casing earth as ground. it is either the ground point near the OPA (the best, so that the ground loop is shortest). Now where can I find this ground (not earth) around the OPA. Do u think the RCA ground is a good choice?

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #5,729 of 9,388
Power cord is a big subject in terms of sound quality. 2 power cord is very very important in HIFI. the amplifier power cord and the dac/cdp power cord.

This is because EMI/RFI can get into the source (amp and DAC) and gets amplified, limits the bandwidth, resulting in noise and congestion.

if u use tube amplifier, the effect is even greater. I have just changed my power cord to Single crystal copper (OCC) on my tube amplifier and the effect is tremendous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back