Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 28, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #5,701 of 9,388
Cor... going from a few days on the OPA-Sun, down to the OPA-Earth... the differences are instant.

OPA-Earth is far less dynamic, the treble feels like it's hiding behind a pillow. The bass has less depth, the soundstage feels shorter. It's almost like it's lost a 3D effect. Hmm...

I need to leave it in for a few hours so my ears can adjust. At the moment, it seems like it's a bit... naff...

Less than 30 minutes in, and my heart is yearning to have the Sun back
frown.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #5,702 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cor... going from a few days on the OPA-Sun, down to the OPA-Earth... the differences are instant.

OPA-Earth is far less dynamic, the treble feels like it's hiding behind a pillow. The bass has less depth, the soundstage feels shorter. It's almost like it's lost a 3D effect. Hmm...

I need to leave it in for a few hours so my ears can adjust. At the moment, it seems like it's a bit... naff...

Less than 30 minutes in, and my heart is yearning to have the Sun back
frown.gif

~Phewl.

Phewl, are you using it on DAC section or amp section ?!

As I just ordered mines, I was wordering which one to go for DAC and AMP sections, as I'll only have 2 from both, it won't be possible to make one full SUN or Full Earth Zero DaC

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #5,703 of 9,388
I doing it this way for now Diego, Earth in the DAC, 2 SUN in the H/Amp. Sounds good so far, but can't comment until everything has burned in. Heat is an issue with an all HDAM Zero. Go back a few pages for some novel solutions. I may be going overboard with the heat issue, it may be fine but I'd rather er on the side of caution.

Phewl, the modules need time to settle, anything under 75 hours will be off with regards to SQ. I don't know how much time you have on either type so if your over that mark than forgive the intrusion
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS The current Earth module is exactly the same to the HDAM Lawrence sells. So mine is burned in already, just the new SUN modules need more time. I have about 45 hours on those and counting... I'd suggest to those running 3 HDAMs to shut down at night after an 8 hour session of burn in or listening...for some reason the cycling of power/heat up and shut down is beneficial...don't ask...Pench or I can't find a reason for it.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #5,704 of 9,388
I'm using the discrete modules in the DAC section. I'm ashamed to admit that I've already gone back to the OPA-Sun - the difference is huge. Detail junkies need look no further than OPA-Sun. Earth sounds more like OAP-Earth after a few days with the Sun - it's far less sharp, resolving, musical, instantly-attractive or enjoyable to my ears.

Must go back to the Earth for another listen... I really must... it's only fair...
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #5,705 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phewl, the modules need time to settle, anything under 75 hours will be off with regards to SQ. I don't know how much time you have on either type so if your over that mark than forgive the intrusion
smily_headphones1.gif

My Sun module will be over that by now. Earth will be around 2 hours or so.

I don't want to go back to the Earth! Don't make me go back for several decades of hours!
frown.gif
wink.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #5,706 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Sun module will be over that by now. Earth will be around 2 hours or so.

I don't want to go back to the Earth! Don't make me go back for several decades of hours!
frown.gif
wink.gif

~Phewl.

Please go back Phewl! It would be very healthy for our knowledge!
beerchug.gif

Diego

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #5,707 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doing it this way for now Diego, Earth in the DAC, 2 SUN in the H/Amp. Sounds good so far, but can't comment until everything has burned in. Heat is an issue with an all HDAM Zero. Go back a few pages for some novel solutions. I may be going overboard with the heat issue, it may be fine but I'd rather er on the side of caution.

smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS The current Earth module is exactly the same to the HDAM Lawrence sells. So mine is burned in already, just the new SUN modules need more time. I have about 45 hours on those and counting... I'd suggest to those running 3 HDAMs to shut down at night after an 8 hour session of burn in or listening...for some reason the cycling of power/heat up and shut down is beneficial...don't ask...Pench or I can't find a reason for it.

Will you ever try 3 SUNs ???
devil_face.gif

Diego

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #5,708 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will you ever try 3 SUNs ???
devil_face.gif

Diego

Can't ...of the 5 HDAMs I have, 2 are SUN...3 are Earth...ce la vie
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #5,709 of 9,388
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Diego

Hey Diego!

Missed seeing you post up in here!

Just like PP, I have a matured HDAM (earth) from Lawrence. When PP says they need 75 hours, that is what happened to both of us while maturing them. The difference between a new one and a mature one is large. Not at all like the Opamps in this respect.

I would say the "earth" is a neutral HDAM, full of dynamics and nuances. It is missing nothing and doesn't "colorize" the signal. This makes it very nice for the DAC section.

I've got one "sun" here that I have to solder on before I can "mature" it, so that will get done this weekend. The other earth & sun are on their way here, so they are going to take longer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #5,710 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Diego!

Missed seeing you post up in here!

Just like PP, I have a matured HDAM (earth) from Lawrence. When PP says they need 75 hours, that is what happened to both of us while maturing them. The difference between a new one and a mature one is large. Not at all like the Opamps in this respect.

I would say the "earth" is a neutral HDAM, full of dynamics and nuances. It is missing nothing and doesn't "colorize" the signal. This makes it very nice for the DAC section.

I've got one "sun" here that I have to solder on before I can "mature" it, so that will get done this weekend. The other earth & sun are on their way here, so they are going to take longer.
smily_headphones1.gif

It has been awhile isn't it ? I missed you guys too..... it's just because ever since I first took a look at this thread I haven't stop spending money.... everytime I came back, more money.... LoL

First Zero... then 650 /627/lm1364 and now HDAMs

I also got one Yulong AMP4780 class T amplifier and built some Enclosures for my JBL speakers that were laying around....

I see, you think the huge difference was more like non matured Earth..... Ok I won't have a problem with this combo eart/sun DAC/AMP..... If you guys says it rocks, I need no more.....
I was really pleased when I did an A-B between lm4562 and opa627 this week and could distinguish differences.... I guess my ears are getting better after all... It will be nice when I make A-B between earth / 627.... but it will take awhile... maybe on october in case Kingwa hasn't got any of those before 15 of setember...
frown.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #5,711 of 9,388
PP and Penchum, are you sure Earth is the same HDAM Lawrence is selling?

I asked this 2 days ago and he said NO (something like the number of transistors and FETs on HDAM is different, it has more).

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #5,712 of 9,388
Mornin' fellow Zero owners, sounds like HDAMs Are Us this morning! Ah, well, can't contribute much on that one yet. I can tell you I'm loving my Zero even while it is fresh and new! What a really delightful little unit it is, I haven't bothered critiquing it, just popped various cans on after a day's warm up and enjoyed the music. You know, if I wasn't aware of what it can be transformed into, I would be very happy just as it is!
This morning I have it hooked up to the iBook to try out the USB to Toslink adapter snow46_8 sent with the Zero. I'll say this for him, everything one could need to use the unit was supplied. For anyone interested, there is a pic here of the adapter and it works perfectly.
The scratchy electronic hiss that was on the headphone amp on first switch-on has gone completely and I haven't attempted to send the speaker cones into the wall at the other end of the house today! Phew!
I am already hearing details on CDs that I wasn't aware of before, inflections in rhythmic intensity. Meanwhile in the other headamp, the OPA627AUs are cooking very nicely, they've had 50 hours now and the amount of detail coming through them is just thrilling! I know, probably old hat now that HDAM is here, but for those who didn't want to go the HDAM route, the 627s are brilliant. I have been playing a Cd of a group of Tuvan throat singers called, Shu De, and the sheer amount of detail coming from a group of singers and simple instruments is stunning; the sound of horse hair bows on horse gut strings, hands and sticks on horse skin drums and the 3D soundstage, the extraordinary voices. The Tuvans love their horses in life and death!
It's tempting to pop the 627s into the Zero now ......... but I shan't .. phew, I really want to hear the Zero well run in and stock to get a sense of perspective with the other mods to come. Plus, the new Senn 555s sound really good with the Zero!
Already, after 14 hours of running, Zero is already sounding much warmer and yes, tube-y. Love it, warmer and weightier than my other kit amp, if not as detailed and fast yet.
Bless your little cotton socks, Penchum, for getting this thread going and bringing Zero to us in this way.
Really must do something about the disco blue lights on the front panel sometime! Wow!
Attachment 7639

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #5,713 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like there will be another OPA to burn the ZERO DAC. This time it will be the Class A single ended output - OPA Moon. Really can't wait to have the OPA for try. It will be very soon, hopefully audio-gd is not too busy with the orders.
Imagine having a class A output (Single ended !!!)

Hi ccschua,

Yeah Kingwa informed me to get back to him in October when the OPA-Moon will be in production ..

Cheers,
Gavin ...

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #5,714 of 9,388
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Diego

I withdraw my previous comments. It seems a "cold" HDAM sounds far worse - to my ears, at least - than a "hot" one.

Earth has been running for a couple of hours now. It no longer sounds so horrible. Will leave it in for a while now, so I can get used to the sound signature
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #5,715 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PP and Penchum, are you sure Earth is the same HDAM Lawrence is selling?

I asked this 2 days ago and he said NO (something like the number of transistors and FETs on HDAM is different, it has more).

I suppose it could be, but the one I have, has an audio-gd sticker on it, and their web site said the "earth" is the new name for the one they had been selling elsewhere for a long time. There was only the one model, so if they updated the original one and then named it "earth", they didn't make mention of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back