Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 28, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #5,686 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fugimax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a link to info on this ALPS pot mod? Again, having trouble coming the thread for the right info.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4226887-post3219.html
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #5,688 of 9,388
Glad to say I did my first Soldering mod on my Zero today on the Blue LED Lights . Took me a while as I found it a little fiddly and those tiny solder wholes . I wanted to turn the high beam lights down
eek.gif
The forum recommended to use 3 x 4.7kohms but I went one slightly more at 5.6kohms. It is so much better now and more like park lights rather then 100 watt high beam burning into your retina if you looked at it too long .. It's actually slightly lower then the phones light and seems just perfect and what it should have been out of the factory .

I'm still up in the air as to which the OPA-Sun or OPA-Earth will stay in the DAC section . Both have 130 hours plus burn in and so far I find the Earth to be suitable for all types of music and found the Sun a bit too forward on some recordings ... I like both though , if I swap them too many times I have a feeling one or two of the wires will eventually breck off . So I guess I'm leaning towards the Neutral sound rather then the dynamic ..

Gavin ...

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #5,689 of 9,388
Quote:

Awesome, thanks. Unfortunate that the pot is only available through Lawrence (no offense to him, I just hear he's usually overwhelmed with orders).

So the main improvement here is that the Zero can put out unbalanced sound at low-levels, and this mod fixes it, eh?

Yes, mine is quite unbalanced at very low volume, though only at looow volume. However, on sensitive cans this will make a difference. Experience tells me it's almost always worth putting a classier pot in, they are usually more transparent to the sound as well. I will do the mod as soon as mine arrives in a few days. Lawrence often seems to take a few days to get to some mail, but he does get there. He's been terrific with me.
normal_smile .gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #5,691 of 9,388
Quote:

What's his contact info, and what's the price?

lawrencechanbig@msn.com Price is $15US + freight, not sure how much to the US. Strangely, it was cheaper to send it here in NZ than the States, unlike anything else I've bought lately. Maybe he's got more stock in, 'cos mine was sent almost immediately. Good luck with it.
normal_smile .gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #5,692 of 9,388
Quote:

Awesome, thanks. Unfortunate that the pot is only available through Lawrence (no offense to him, I just hear he's usually overwhelmed with orders).

I belive this on one ebay would work, you would just have to take the casing out, just like Lawrence does.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #5,693 of 9,388
Hi guys,

The sales of OPA Sun and Earth is so overwhelming (more than 200 sets of OPA Sun and Earth sold ) that audio-gd has run out of stock on PCB.

If u purchase before 31 Aug 2008, u are still entitled to 1 OPA Sun/Earth to 1OPA Earth free promotion. However the delivery will be after 15 Sept due to reordering of PCB.

3 more days before offer ends.

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #5,694 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I belive this on one ebay would work, you would just have to take the casing out, just like Lawrence does.
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought so, but this can't be done simply because you can't use the Alps RK27 without case.

I opened one, it is completely different.

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #5,695 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Everything is not as it appears. The upgrade Alps pot Lawrence was selling is an NOS pot, and so far, is the only one found that will fit in the space available. Everyone has been waiting to find out if any of the newer Alps will fit, but the measurements don't look to promising. If you review the pics of the pot upgrade, you'll notice a cap sitting almost against the new pot. That should give you an idea of how little space is there for a new replacement pot.

The replacement pot in the pics, the NOS one, isn't one of the new ones with the blue housing. This has been verified previously.

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #5,696 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by pincellone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought so, but this can't be done simply because you can't use the Alps RK27 without case.

I opened one, it is completely different.

See my last post.

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #5,697 of 9,388
Looks like there will be another OPA to burn the ZERO DAC. This time it will be the Class A single ended output - OPA Moon. Really can't wait to have the OPA for try. It will be very soon, hopefully audio-gd is not too busy with the orders.
Imagine having a class A output (Single ended !!!)

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #5,698 of 9,388
Pete and Penchum - Trying to find your power supply mods talked about in detail. No luck. Is this info waiting on the new DIY thread?

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #5,699 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hales /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pete and Penchum - Trying to find your power supply mods talked about in detail. No luck. Is this info waiting on the new DIY thread?

Hey Hales,

Yep, its waiting on the new thread. There is a bunch of data to sort out and goodies to write about, so it is taking some time.
smily_headphones1.gif

One of us will put out a notice here in the review thread when the DIY review and DIY instructions are completed and posted. We'll include a link too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #5,700 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

The sales of OPA Sun and Earth is so overwhelming (more than 200 sets of OPA Sun and Earth sold ) that audio-gd has run out of stock on PCB.

If u purchase before 31 Aug 2008, u are still entitled to 1 OPA Sun/Earth to 1OPA Earth free promotion. However the delivery will be after 15 Sept due to reordering of PCB.

3 more days before offer ends.

I've just ordered two..... Kingwa will check if he still got on stock to send me tomorrow..... But for instance, he is out of stock......

Well.... no problem, I can perctly live with mine 627
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back