Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 29, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #5,731 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Power cord is a big subject in terms of sound quality. 2 power cord is very very important in HIFI. the amplifier power cord and the dac/cdp power cord.

This is because EMI/RFI can get into the source (amp and DAC) and gets amplified, limits the bandwidth, resulting in noise and congestion.

if u use tube amplifier, the effect is even greater. I have just changed my power cord to Single crystal copper (OCC) on my tube amplifier and the effect is tremendous.

I have to agree CC. I did just that, today. The effect is stunning. I didn't think it was possible to get this much from a mains cable...I like it when I'm proven wrong with regards to assumption
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #5,732 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBuLLeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats a good power supply that you recommend. Im on a budget, so can you still recommend one to me?

Name the budget.

Peete.

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #5,733 of 9,388
Quote:

Yea but shipping will be 5 dollars. I rather keep for 6+ dollars for something like a mod for this thing. By the way Led Zeppelin - Stairway to heaven from the How the West was Won Album. I can hear people in the crow yelling random stuff.

Well now, how handy with a soldering iron are you? You could make your own ..... I did for my kit head amp to good effect, very clean supply.
If you fancy, go have a looksee at The TNT - TTS DIY mains cable
a browse around the site is quite interesting and they have a number of mains cable projects on hand. It's not that difficult, just a little patience is required and watch how you do the final wiring into the wall plug. Other friends of mine have also made their own from TNT and are very happy with the results. Plenty of cable is available at Parts Connexion. What do you think?
smile_phones.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #5,735 of 9,388
Quote:

Power cord is a big subject in terms of sound quality. 2 power cord is very very important in HIFI. the amplifier power cord and the dac/cdp power cord.

This is because EMI/RFI can get into the source (amp and DAC) and gets amplified, limits the bandwidth, resulting in noise and congestion.

if u use tube amplifier, the effect is even greater. I have just changed my power cord to Single crystal copper (OCC) on my tube amplifier and the effect is tremendous.

What about the solid copper mains wire several meters long in the roof and walls to the wall power point from the fuse panel , how does the last meter of mains cable make so much difference. Do these cables act as a filter ? I have a few florescent light's and a fridge that introduces pops occationally .

Gavin ...

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #5,737 of 9,388
WOw those TNT cables look nice. How much would it cost to make one of those cable and also what is the price? I Can solder so I think I might be able to make it. My first project is to make a Starving Student hybrid amp. Is that amp better than the Zero amp? IF it isn't no point in making it.

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #5,738 of 9,388
Funnily enough I've been considering using a solar cell on the roof of my house hooked upto a rechargable battery to drive my SB3, DAC etc. Taking your power off the mains will always result in all sorts of noise in the signal, which is why so much of the electronics in quality gear is to remove such noise and artifacts.

Having a decent powerlead is a major plus, but these can be had for 40 euros for most applications. Of course you can spend as much as you like, but 99% of the problem can be removed with a simple quality cable.

BT

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #5,740 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by gavszero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the solid copper mains wire several meters long in the roof and walls to the wall power point from the fuse panel , how does the last meter of mains cable make so much difference. Do these cables act as a filter ? I have a few florescent light's and a fridge that introduces pops occationally .

Gavin ...

Hi Gavin,

How does that last 1.5m of power cable make a difference is amazing, and it is true.

AC mains cable is a static filter circuit. Mine OCC come with ferrite core (basically an inductance ). The power cord introduce RLC characteristics to the circuit and change the behavior of the sound. Why is it so.

The power cable and amplifier, speaker cable, speaker all form a loop for the current to return to the mains socket. Any changes along this loop alters the behavior. Now the noise (RFI / EMI) can get into the AC mains cable by interference. these little monsters is prevented from entering by the use of shielding, and ferrite.

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #5,742 of 9,388
Quote:

Hi Gavin,

How does that last 1.5m of power cable make a difference is amazing, and it is true.

AC mains cable is a static filter circuit. Mine OCC come with ferrite core (basically an inductance ). The power cord introduce RLC characteristics to the circuit and change the behavior of the sound. Why is it so.

The power cable and amplifier, speaker cable, speaker all form a loop for the current to return to the mains socket. Any changes along this loop alters the behavior. Now the noise (RFI / EMI) can get into the AC mains cable by interference. these little monsters is prevented from entering by the use of shielding, and ferrite.

Sounds interesting , I was thinking of running my stereo of a pure Sine Wave inverter on Battery if it will help isolate from the noisy house mains I have here . Problem is I have quite a number of components , Multi channel Amp , Sub woofer with internal amp , 2 DVD Players , Bass Management unit for SACD /DVD Audio , Turn Table & External MM Preamp, TV , Digital TV STU , Pay TV Box ,CD Player , 2 Channel Preamp , Power Amp , Equilizer , 2 Computers and ofcourse the Zero DAC ... Every Component are connected together , including the computers for Video and Audio ..

So in my Small 3 meter square bedroom I have quite a few wires to change .. I even have a dedicated power point from the fuse box but doesn't solve the mains noise I experience ...

Could you post me some links for me to look into with the power cords , I'm in Australia ..

Cheers,
Gavin ...

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #5,743 of 9,388
Yea I don't have those Opas at my disposal as I have only been using my Zero for only a few hours after I got home from work. Tomorrow I shall try the Earth but yea the details in the Sun are nice.

Aug 29, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #5,745 of 9,388
Quote:

hey so no one knows where I should put the ground at for the Sun? Please someone help me!

Hi LeBuLLeT

I don't have my ground connected on either the Earth or Sun when I have them in my Zero . If you don't get a hum then just leave it not connected . Make sure it can't short on anything else though ..

Gavin ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back