Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 26, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #5,641 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't say as of yet...they are not burned in . They have only been in the amp for less than 10 hours of running time.....I've said this a number of times already...

Be patient, maybe someone else can help today or tomorrow with that but it'll be at least a week before I can truthfully give an honest description of what you ask for...

Peete.

I understand, thank you for your patience and fairness
wink.gif

I will wait your review
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #5,642 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ You need to have two of the same opamps in the headphone section. I don't know what happens if you don't but at the very least you'll have different sound in your left and right channels, and at the worst I suppose some damage could occur. Either way, there's no point in doing it.

i thought in headphone section,one NE is used for headphone and another one is used for pre amp.that's silly!^^"

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #5,643 of 9,388
Quote:

LOL..come on now, that's low (joking)
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Peete.

PS I've revised the last statement to "a nut riddled log"
biggrin.gif

Eeeeeeewwwwwwww! Yuck!

How about two amoeba's and a virus?
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #5,644 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eeeeeeewwwwwwww! Yuck!

How about two amoeba's and a virus?
biggrin.gif

Works for me....dang it all, now I want an Oh Henry bar
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #5,645 of 9,388
Man the mods here are fast.....Andrea is gone...thanks guys !!!!

Peete.

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #5,646 of 9,388
I put in arrows to help you see where I had to clean up the solder. This is how the Zero came from the factory. You might want to check them before firing them up.

2 attempted shorts and a long tail of solder.
solder1.jpg

In a hurry?
solder2.jpg

I think they tried to clean this one up.
solder3.jpg

These are all the analog + and - outputs from the DAC. Note the 2 successful shorts on the top right.
solder4.jpg

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #5,647 of 9,388
Quote:

Works for me....dang it all, now I want an Oh Henry bar
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Oh maaann .... I'm glad I've had my brekky already, now I need a cuppa tea!
I'm positively salivating now .... and NO, it's not from the ... um ... previous conversation! I have so much bloody stuff flying to me from China it's ridiculous! 2 sets of the HDAMs are on the way, Zero is nearly here, new ALPS pot, 1364s, 1028s, 1057s (these last two are probably redundant now, dammit) ..... and the dinky little 627AUs, which came yesterday, are a revelation in my headamp! These little tackers alone have been worth the visit to Head-Fi, let alone the conversations and finding Zero. They are soooo transparent to the signal before them, all of my CDs sound even more uniquely different and just so musical. Soundstaging is superb and the width has increased after only 11 hours burn in. Imaging is holographic, the first time I have ever heard that from an op-amp, this from both the HD540s and the new HD555s, which are now starting to really sing, they truly sounded quite awful before breaking in. A day of Tool helped them along!
As soon as the new Alps pot arrives it will go into the Zero, experience tells me cheap carbon pots are easily bested by the ALPS Blue models and their cousins, usually noticeably more transparent.
Since the addition of the 627s has already transformed my listening experience with the Trevor Lees tube pre-amp, I am so looking forward to hearing the Zero (esp with HDAMs, and I'll have spares to choose from, SUN or Earth, to pop in place of the 627s in my current headamp later on) through my most favourite Pre.
I'm going to stop spending now and just enjoy playing and most importantly, LISTENING TO MUSIC! Which is the whole point of it all.
Already done plenty of changing things for the sake of it over the years and it hasn't always been musically beneficial. The blessing of Head-Fi and this thread is to bring greater musical satisfaction to our music collections, the way I see it.
I remember hearing some $65,000 Infinity speakers in a big system one day and was disappointed. I went home to my modest Linn t/t, Plinius pre, homebuilt 100W mono amps and the lovely little JPW P1 speakers and enjoyed far more musical satisfaction!
Hence, I completely agree with Peete's comments about the wonderful value and easy tweakability of the Zero and it's compatriots. Sometimes it's just the simpler and compatibly connected systems that really shine and that's also where I see the huge value of this thread, at the very least where the Zero is concerned. Head-Fi rocks!
Three Amigos, OY OY OY!

RE the above pics of shoddy board clean-up, I certainly WILL be checking mine when it comes! Nothing a bit of Isopropyl alcohol and an old toothbrush can't handle.

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #5,648 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by quachhanthanh143 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thought in headphone section,one NE is used for headphone and another one is used for pre amp.that's silly!^^"

Ok I'll bite..

Amana-pharumph-tha-mumps or whatever your name is, WHY is it silly ?

Peete.

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #5,649 of 9,388
Thanks Hales.....mine wasn't nearly that sloppy...must be the increased demand for units...check those pcbs guys...taking the excess solder off is really easy...trimming long leads is just as easy. Be careful handling the boards...the IC's are easy to send a static shock through...so be careful.

Thanks again for the latest example pics from the factory H.

Which vendor was that BTW ?

Peete.

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #5,650 of 9,388
PS I'm not saying sloppy work is acceptable at any price....

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #5,651 of 9,388
Agreed S-Man....synergy trumps everything regardless of price.

OY
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

Peete.

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #5,652 of 9,388
Quote:

Do you have another cable to try out ?

Peete.

No other cable to try out. Might try to spring for a cable from Monoprice when I move into my new place next week. For now, no Zero to play around with.
frown.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #5,654 of 9,388
Quote:

snip

Quote:

snip

Quote:

snip

Quote:

snip

Nope, I tested, and there's nothing wrong with the multiquote-function. Check!

EDIT: And neither is the edit-funktion. Check!

(I rather keep the almost 600 pages as few as possible)

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #5,655 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cap tured /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One very nice thing about the SVDAC05 I'm using, is that it has a very rational and cost-effective design of its output stages:

The line output level is slightly above average, 3V RMS vs. the typical 2V RMS, which has enabled the designer to just use a discrete transistor current buffer (with no further voltage gain stages) for driving the headphone output. This way you don't have the signal going through multiple opamps: only one single opamp per channel, in total, both for the line out and for the headphone out, which are decoupled from each other by the above mentioned discrete buffer (that serves to buffer the headphone out alone). This also defies the need for DC blocking caps between analog filter and headphone amp. The presence of a very accurate digital volume control (taking advantage of the on-chip non-decimating attenuator of the CS4398) is the icing on the cake.

This is what one would call "clever design". The best thing about it is that it doesn't have to be expensive.
smily_headphones1.gif

You do know that this is a Zero thread
wink.gif
. Theres at least one SVDAC05 thread in the Dedicated Source equipment section

Users who are viewing this thread

Back