Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 26, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #5,611 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the last chance for you to grab OPA Earth and Sun, else u will have to pay the full price. I have known long enough that good things dont come for too long.

I was once drooling for his CD player (made by audio-gd), almost paid when he announced the stock has finished and no more reproduction. He practically meant it.

Good luck for those who havent ordered.

Good point CC.

Peete.

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #5,612 of 9,388
Quote:

This is the last chance for you to grab OPA Earth and Sun, else u will have to pay the full price. I have known long enough that good things dont come for too long.

I was once drooling for his CD player (made by audio-gd), almost paid when he announced the stock has finished and no more reproduction. He practically meant it.

Good luck for those who havent ordered.

You are so right. That's why I put another order already.
I just found out this sun/earth really can be put into a lot unit. Not only zero.

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #5,613 of 9,388
Quote:

I wonder has anyone tried the 3xOPA Sun/Earth to listen to the Headphone. So eager to know if the OPA is able to give better listening pleasure ....

Yes...it's an improvement for sure. Combine the SUN HDAMs with your new reg boards from audio-gd in the H/Amp section and I bet the Zero will bring a huge grin to your face
smily_headphones1.gif

Current config is 1 Earth in DAC, 2 SUN in H/Amp. Seems to be a fantastic combination.

I'll know more in a couple of days when the SUN modules have burned in (pun!!!) completely...
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #5,614 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are so right. That's why I put another order already.
I just found out this sun/earth really can be put into a lot unit. Not only zero.

Exactly..!!! Any CDP/AMP/DAC/Preamp that uses compatible opamps can use the HDAMS.....provided the circuit and power supply can handle the job. Even still you can add their own voltage reg and tranny to get around that limitation if need be.

Lots of applications for these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #5,615 of 9,388
As of last night around midnight, I've officially got a Zero on the way from Audiophilechina, and 2 SUN / 2 EARTH coming from audio-gd.

It's great doing this stuff at night when it's morning there in China ... quick responses!

Peete, or anyone who's changed out the opamps, is there anything I'm going to need specifically, or do the chips just pop out of the sockets?

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #5,616 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fugimax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As of last night around midnight, I've officially got a Zero on the way from Audiophilechina, and 2 SUN / 2 EARTH coming from audio-gd.

It's great doing this stuff at night when it's morning there in China ... quick responses!

Peete, or anyone who's changed out the opamps, is there anything I'm going to need specifically, or do the chips just pop out of the sockets?

Maybe a small tool to gently lift/pry the stock chips out with....just work one side a tiny bit than switch to the other end and repeat until it comes loose. The pins can be bent easily on the IC's so be careful. That's all you need....

Welcome to the Zero owners club....hope you have a soldering iron
biggrin.gif

That should be my new sig motto
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #5,618 of 9,388
The return of Andrea, eh?

For the life of me, I cannot plug in the optical cable from the Zero to my laptop. To my understanding, to be properly connected, you need to hear a click for the Toslink cable to function properly? I've been trying to force in the cable to no avail.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #5,620 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fugimax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are some of the mods that require a soldering iron?

The obvious one that comes to mind would be the Alps Pot upgrade, I'm sure theirs more, but this one seams to be the more common upgrade that requires soldering.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #5,621 of 9,388
Since this is my first post, I would like to start off by saying that Head-Fi has been a great resource for me. (I've been a member for 2+ years)
smily_headphones1.gif

I was hoping someone here could help me.

Today I received my Zero, it works well and I like it allot. However, the unit itself outputs a distinct and quite annoying humming sound. I've opened it up, and the sound seems to be originating from the transformer. The humming persists regardless of input, settings or which socket I plug it in to. There is no change even if the amp is idle, and being the only device plugged in (grounded socket). I should also note that I'm running it on 220V.

I have no idea if/how this can be fixed. Does anyone else?

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #5,622 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by exe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since this is my first post, I would like to start off by saying that Head-Fi has been a great resource for me. (I've been a member for 2+ years)
smily_headphones1.gif

Today I received my Zero, it works well and I like it allot. However, the unit itself outputs a distinct and quite annoying humming sound. I've opened it up, and the sound seems to be originating from the transformer. The humming persists regardless of input, settings or which socket I plug it in to. There is no change even if the amp is idle, and being the only device plugged in (grounded socket). I should also note that I'm running it on 220V.

You can find some suggestions on troubleshooting that issue here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/zer...roblem-344689/

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #5,623 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by exe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Remove the top case - 6 screws.
Remove the bolt running through the centre of the transformer.
Lift transformer out of chassis.
Fit small piece of insulating foam.
Rebuild.

smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #5,624 of 9,388
But finally what are the main real audible differences between sun and earth?
And there is more improvment using them in dac or amp (for now if I have understanded right, nothing has tried three hdam in zero)...

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #5,625 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remove the top case - 6 screws.
Remove the bolt running through the centre of the transformer.
Lift transformer out of chassis.
Fit small piece of insulating foam.
Rebuild.

smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Wow. Fast, to the point and seemingly a very plausible solution.
wink_face.gif
Will try it as soon as I finish my pasta and find a piece of insulating foam.

Thanks (to DaMnEd as well)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back