Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 7, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #4,126 of 9,388
I seem to have a very big broblem with hum. All of a sudden when I turn the DAC on I just get an unbearable hum which does not go away. If I turn the volume up the hum just gets louder. I opened up the case to see if it was something to do with the way I had installed th HDAM, but even after I replaced the HDAM back to the stock opamp the hum was still there. The strange thing is when I touch the coax connector at the back with my finger the hum gets quieter and then when I touch the screw which holds the coax connector it gets even quieter. and if I use all five fingers to touch all screws and coax at the back then the hum is practically gone.

Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know what it is? I hope my zero is not broken already only had it a few days
frown.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #4,127 of 9,388
Sounds like it could be a grounding issue. Try changing the power cable/socket? Just a guess.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #4,128 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shlonglor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like it could be a grounding issue. Try changing the power cable/socket? Just a guess.

I have changed the cables but it is still there, to change the socket I think I will have to solder a new one.

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #4,129 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have changed the cables but it is still there, to change the socket I think I will have to solder a new one.

Try screwing in the screws for the coax port tighter.

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #4,130 of 9,388
Check the coax jacks solder points on the underside of the pcb. Another spot to check is the pot ground wire (while your at it).

Peete.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #4,131 of 9,388
Also check to make sure you have the Zero plugged into the same outlet on the wall, as the rest of your audio equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #4,132 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check the coax jacks solder points points on the underside of the pcb. Another spot to check is the pot ground wire (while your at it).

Peete.

All my audio equipment is plugged into a Belkin surge protector.

Where abouts is the pot ground wire?

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #4,133 of 9,388
Quote:

It's a small wire that is soldered onto the side of the pot shell casing. Worth checking out if your looking at ground connections. Have you checked the coax in jack's solder points on the main pcb to see if one has come loose ? A quick reheat of the tabs solder points will cure a cold solder joint. Do you have a soldering iron or access to one ?

Peete.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #4,134 of 9,388
Quote:

It's a small wire that is soldered onto the side of the pot shell casing. Worth checking out if your looking at ground connections. Have you checked the coax in jack's solder points on the main pcb to see if one has come loose ? A quick reheat of the tabs solder points will cure a cold solder joint. Do you have a soldering iron or access to one ?

Peete.

When you say pot casing do you mean volume pot? Yeah I have a soldering iron but are the solder points to the coax on the underside of the pcb, because I don't want to unscrew and disconnect everything?

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #4,135 of 9,388
Yep the volume pot. Sorry to say but you'll have to pull the PCB to check the coax solder points, there is no other way around it. After trying what P 1 suggested I'd check what I suggested. Just be careful handling the connectors and such. Practice safe procedures. Ground yourself with wrist strap if you have one or touch metal casing before touching any components on the PCB. Be very careful pulling connectors. Just a few tips that I can think of. Don't worry it's a dead easy thing to do.

Peete.

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #4,136 of 9,388
Who all has an HDAM module now ? I know cipher,myself,Steph and soon Penchum will be owners/users....anyone else took the plunge ?

Don't forget to post impressions of it please.

Peete.

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #4,137 of 9,388
Quote:

This may sound whacked but try the Zero plugged directly into the wall receptacle bypassing the Belkin. Just trying to cover all bases and rule out the easy stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #4,138 of 9,388
Quote:

This may sound whacked but try the Zero plugged directly into the wall receptacle bypassing the Belkin. Just trying to cover all bases and rule out the easy stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Well I closed the case, tilt the dac upside down and then plugged everything back in and turned it on again and the hum seems to have gone. So I am not going to open it anymore just in case the hum starts again.

Now all I have to do is get asio to work properly. I have done everything correctly as it says in the foobar and asio forums, but I don't know if it is working or not? I can have the buffer size on the asio setting down to 64 and I still don't get any crackling. But what I do get is a very small crackle eveytime I start a new track. When I am in windows and click the asio offline settings the marker is green(enabled) but when I start foobar play a song and then re-load the offline setting its crossed out (disabled).

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
Steph

Ps, the HDAM module is sounding great at the moment. I did not even listen to the stock opamp because I ordered the opa627au which came already installed. So I listened to that for a day or so (without asio) then I fabricated my own interconnect for the HDAM and am using that now. It is fairly hard for me to give an opinion because I did not spend much time with either of the last two opamps and one was without using asio. But I can safely say the HDAM Module has alot more body and sounds better. After more listening and burn in I will be able to give a better opinion.

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #4,139 of 9,388
Got my Zero. Woohoo!

Plugged it in (though optical for now, till I get a proper digital RCA cable) and everything works well. A couple of issues:

1) It clicks randomly when on and playing. What the hey? A mechanical click that originates from within the box... I hope this doesn't foreshadow its impending death.

2) When no sound it playing, when I change the volume, I hear some noise/cracks. Is this normal? It seems to go away when it's playing.

Other than that, pure bliss! I'm really enjoying it so far (the hour+ that it's been on). Zero + Denon AH-D2000 =
biggrin.gif

A few other questions. I currently have the OPA627 which Lawrence installed for me in the DAC section and the default one in the amp section.

1) Should I bother with the default opamp at all or switch to the LT1364s I got as free samples when I gather the courage to open it up?

2) Is there a reason to shut it down when it's not being used (except for the super LEDs)?

3) I have a resistance increasing thingy that I got with my Super.Fis. Will using them with my Denons and increasing the power on the Zero provide any benefits?

4) How do I know when it's too loud and is going to damage my hearing permanently?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back