Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 8, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #4,141 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shlonglor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Zero. Woohoo!

Plugged it in (though optical for now, till I get a proper digital RCA cable) and everything works well. A couple of issues:

1) It clicks randomly when on and playing. What the hey? A mechanical click that originates from within the box... I hope this doesn't foreshadow its impending death.

2) When no sound it playing, when I change the volume, I hear some noise/cracks. Is this normal? It seems to go away when it's playing.

Other than that, pure bliss! I'm really enjoying it so far (the hour+ that it's been on). Zero + Denon AH-D2000 =
biggrin.gif

A few other questions. I currently have the OPA627 which Lawrence installed for me in the DAC section and the default one in the amp section.

1) Should I bother with the default opamp at all or switch to the LT1364s I got as free samples when I gather the courage to open it up?

2) Is there a reason to shut it down when it's not being used (except for the super LEDs)?

3) I have a resistance increasing thingy that I got with my Super.Fis. Will using them with my Denons and increasing the power on the Zero provide any benefits?

4) How do I know when it's too loud and is going to damage my hearing permanently?
smily_headphones1.gif

The clicking is normal, as long as it's not happening during a track you are playing.

The stock volume pot may be dirty. Use Deoxit or another tuner/electronics cleaner to flush out the volume pot.

I would recommend switching the headphone amp Opamps to the LT1364s, so you can listen that way too!
smily_headphones1.gif
They are much better than the stock ones.

If you have no noise issues with the Denon's, I would leave out the impedance adapter.

When you first start listening to your music, set the volume purposefully lower than normal. In a matter of minutes, you'll notice it seems louder than when you started. At this point, increase the volume to a nice comfort level and you should be ok. If you think it is too loud, it is. Always try to caution on the side of less, is more.

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #4,142 of 9,388
Just received my Zero DAC as well, in the process of burning in/enjoying music.
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #4,143 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ps, the HDAM module is sounding great at the moment. I did not even listen to the stock opamp because I ordered the opa627au which came already installed. So I listened to that for a day or so (without asio) then I fabricated my own interconnect for the HDAM and am using that now. It is fairly hard for me to give an opinion because I did not spend much time with either of the last two opamps and one was without using asio. But I can safely say the HDAM Module has alot more body and sounds better. After more listening and burn in I will be able to give a better opinion.

My experience with the HDAM has been similar. I never used the stock opamps. I ordered the LT1358 and LT1364 for the DAC section and I actually received them before my zero arrived. I also got the LT1469 for the amp section but I haven't tried it in the DAC section. I was planning on getting the opa627 but I decided to get the HDAM instead.

The HDAM simply blows my other opamps out of the water. Whenever I switch back to the 1358 or 1364 the sound is still clear but it is compressed and less dynamic. The HDAM just opens everything up and gives your music more space so to speak and the result is that you can now hear sounds that were originally too compressed with regular opamps.

Just to temper my enthusiasm for the HDAM a little bit I wholeheartedly agree with Peete that it is not the "second coming" so to speak. However anyone who hears it will notice a substantial difference and will be hard pressed to back to regular opamps.

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #4,144 of 9,388
I opened up my Zero DAC because I ordered it with the upgraded OP627A. What does it look like? Can you guys take a picture of yours? Mine looks like this I found in google:

opa627.jpg

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #4,145 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience with the HDAM has been similar. I never used the stock opamps. I ordered the LT1358 and LT1364 for the DAC section and I actually received them before my zero arrived. I also got the LT1469 for the amp section but I haven't tried it in the DAC section. I was planning on getting the opa627 but I decided to get the HDAM instead.

The HDAM simply blows my other opamps out of the water. Whenever I switch back to the 1358 or 1364 the sound is still clear but it is compressed and less dynamic. The HDAM just opens everything up and gives your music more space so to speak and the result is that you can now hear sounds that were originally too compressed with regular opamps.

Just to temper my enthusiasm for the HDAM a little bit I wholeheartedly agree with Peete that it is not the "second coming" so to speak. However anyone who hears it will notice a substantial difference and will be hard pressed to back to regular opamps.

I couldn't agree more cipher. Well said !!

Add a good quality 1uf 50V+ PIO foil cap across pins 4 & 8 on the HDAM for yet another boost to dynamics,transient speeds and top end clarity. I have 135 hours so far on the PIO/HDAM tweak
smily_headphones1.gif
It's a cheap & worthwhile tweak for sure. Burson Audio page is where the idea came from. BTW I used a K42Y-2 1.0 uf 160V Russian mil spec PIO for the cap. Loads of them on eBay. Outstanding SQ and price !!

Peete.

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #4,146 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I'd heard a tweetie bird.

The hovercraft is full of eels
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #4,147 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I opened up my Zero DAC because I ordered it with the upgraded OP627A. What does it look like? Can you guys take a picture of yours? Mine looks like this I found in google:

opa627.jpg

Those are fine. Just in a smaller format called SMD (surface mount device) as opposed to the usual DIP (dual inline package). SMD makes for a smaller footprint in the DAC section which is always welcome.

Peete.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #4,148 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif

opa627.jpg

Yep! Those are the right ones!!
smily_headphones1.gif
My second set looks just like them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #4,149 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hovercraft is full of eels
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

and glowing!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #4,150 of 9,388
I’m very new to head-fi audio
I know very little
Couple years ago I bought my computer came with an audigy 2 Zs Platnium so there is optical and coax out

I have a pair of hd600s which I bought from a generous member on the forum,(not sure if he wants me to name him but regardless if he needs Buy sell trade feedback i can provide it when the time comes) and am looking to make the most of em but i don’t want to spend more than a 100 roughly on a headphone amp- the less the better actually

So I’m thinking the Zero is the best amp for my money right now
But for me if there’s something that does analog and it sounds better than the zero I can live without the optical

Which brings me to a question? Analog 1\4th vs. optical\coax?
Which is better and is it’s allot better? or hardly noticeable?
Music quality from my pc is my main concern audio from games and movies wont make a dramatic difference in optical vs. analog on a Headphone IMO

Optical is a bonus because I can do stright connection from my ps3 when Im watching a movie or gaming and then analog\optical when im listening to music on my pc

And if the zero is what I think it is im sure it should be fine
butwhats the difference between the 80$ vs 100 vs 120

one says it comes with headfi(no clue what it is) one says it comes with usb link for what is that audio output into you’re computer or is it an input from youre computer i dont get it

thanks for the hlep

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #4,151 of 9,388
Without a good amp your HD600s aren't getting the power they need to shine. If you don't want to spend much you should at least try to save up for a decent amp.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #4,152 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSET /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’m very new to head-fi audio
I know very little
Couple years ago I bought my computer came with an audigy 2 Zs Platnium so there is optical and coax out

I have a pair of hd600s which I bought from a generous member on the forum,(not sure if he wants me to name him but regardless if he needs Buy sell trade feedback i can provide it when the time comes) and am looking to make the most of em but i don’t want to spend more than a 100 roughly on a headphone amp- the less the better actually

So I’m thinking the Zero is the best amp for my money right now
But for me if there’s something that does analog and it sounds better than the zero I can live without the optical

Which brings me to a question? Analog 1\4th vs. optical\coax?
Which is better and is it’s allot better? or hardly noticeable?
Music quality from my pc is my main concern audio from games and movies wont make a dramatic difference in optical vs. analog on a Headphone IMO

Optical is a bonus because I can do stright connection from my ps3 when Im watching a movie or gaming and then analog\optical when im listening to music on my pc

And if the zero is what I think it is im sure it should be fine
butwhats the difference between the 80$ vs 100 vs 120

one says it comes with headfi(no clue what it is) one says it comes with usb link for what is that audio output into you’re computer or is it an input from youre computer i dont get it

thanks for the hlep

I think the Zero would be a good choice to start with. Using Optical out of your sound card, to the Zero, and using the Zero's built-in headphone amp for your HD-600's, will give you sound quality benefits right away. This will allow you time to save up for a dedicated headphone amp (tube or SS) that you can drive with the Zero's DAC outputs, later.

If you are wondering why you should use the optical output right now, it is very simple. The Zero's DAC is much better than the DAC in your sound card. The Zero Lawrence is selling has the "most" recommended Opamps upgrades already built-in, so you don't have to figure out which Opamp changes to make.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Zero with the better Opamps will work excellent with your HD-600's. Both of my Zero's have worked out great with my HD-600's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #4,153 of 9,388
Yeah, the Zero should provide a very nice improvement. The DAC should easily best both the A2ZS and internal PS3 one. Use coaxial out of your sound card and optical out of the PS3 so that you don't have to switch connectors (assuming you have your PC and PS3 near each other).

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #4,154 of 9,388
Hi,

what is HDAM? where do i buy it? how do i install it?
wich capacitors can i upgrade on the zero board and wich should i buy?

thanks

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #4,155 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

what is HDAM? where do i buy it? how do i install it?
wich capacitors can i upgrade on the zero board and wich should i buy?

thanks

The HDAm is an option when you order the Zero from Lawrence. If you have a Zero then Lawrence will sell you the HDAM. HDAM is a discrete dual channel amplifier that takes the place of regular opamps in the Zero's DAC section. The drawbacks to it are a)price 80.00 US plus shipping b) you need to make lead extensions from the HDAM to relocate it if you want to close the stock top cover. I leave my cover off for now, forgoing the lead extensions. For some this is a non starter. For others it's a DIY project
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't worry about the cap, it's for the HDAM only. The page for that mod is on Burson Audio web site under Burson opamp 101. Heres the link

Burson discrete Opamp 101

The Burson module is the exact same module sold by Lawrence (Zero).

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back